Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:30 PM

5 posts, read 15,758 times

Advertisements

I have 3 small children (one in public school and two in a preschool). I do buy a few things, but not fall stuff, just some cute new summer outfits for them to wear (which are usually on clearance).....Plus, my son had picture day ONE week after starting school, so I got him a new shirt for that.

I don't do the tax free weekend shopping though. If I were going to spend $500 on clothes, I'd save about $30 and that it is NOT worth the extra crowds and long lines for me. (However, I think you can get the tax free savings online, too, but like I said, I don't really buy much during this time of the year.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,953 times
The op is very judgemental, if her girls have this same attitude they won't have any friends.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I buy clothes when my kids need them- not when the stores tell me to. It's 100* here in Texas and will be for a while. My kids are still in summer clothes and will be until October. I'll shop for winter clothes then, and probably on line.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Hey you all misunderstood. The point of my post is my girls did not know who Hannah Montana was and said to me (NOT the lady who had them in her arms) why were there shirts with some girl's picture on them and why would anybody buy these shirts. The fact the lady overheard was purely accidental and I found her putting them back ...interesting. Maybe it was another reason, who knows.

What difference does it make? I will not have my kids be walking advertisements for something I do not agree with. This was when Miley was going thru her "I'm a big girl now and I can dress like a s#ut if I want to" phase and I did not want my girls identifying with that. We have plenty of Disney Princess nightgowns, socks etc (well we had them when they were younger).

I too wear T's with pictures of people I admire or groups I like to listen to so that is not the point. Remember when Brittany Spears was all over clothes for little girls? I rebelled at that too for my oldest daughter for the same reasons.

I see nothing wrong with people speaking their political beliefs or opinions and entertainment preferences on their clothing either as long as the language is not R rated. Living in a college town, I see some shirts with language which would make a sailor blush.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
No Kudzu - I understand what you're saying... (thanks for the longer explanation - it's appreciated) But what happens when your girls want something that you don't agree with? When do you start allowing them their own opinions on what they wear? Because kids make their statements on who they are through their clothing.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
No matter how cheap they are I will not buy any clothes with a celebrity name or picture on it and I usually avoid any article with any kind of obvious label on it. I have masters degree in marketing and I taught my kids early on how the general public can be manipulated to buy "brand name" clothing.

I remember a few years back we were shopping at Kohl's and there were masses of Hannah Montana clothes dirt cheap. My girls looked at them and out loud said "Why would anybody want to wear clothes with somebody else's picture on it?" A woman with her arms full of the stuff heard them and had a puzzled look on her face and slowly put all the garments back without saying a word. I guess what she heard made sense to her and she reconsidered.
My kids (now grown) never wanted clothes with celebrities' pictures on them, thank G*d. I, too, didn't/don't like clothing with labels all over. My kids did buy a few Abercrombie clothes, etc. They personally hated the Tommy Hilfiger stuff that was oh, so popular at the time. I wasn't a Nazi about it, but I think they got the point before a lot of their friends did.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
The sum total of my back to school shopping so far is 1 package of socks. School starts in 2 days.

It will be warm here for a few more weeks. Even if it turned cold tomorrow, they could get by with what we have. My 9 year old doesn't grow so fast anymore, and the 7 year old has 9's old clothes.

They do both need some new shoes, but not immediately.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Our kids will wear their summer clothing through September. Here we have six months of winter so they like to wear their summer dresses, shorts, tees, etc. for as long as possible. I do buy them new sneakers (usually a name brand) and flats (usually Payless) before the first day of school.

By Columbus Day weekend stores are practically giving things away. That's when we do a lot of our shopping. My 13 and 10 year old like to be fashionable, but are OK buying most of their clothing at affordable places like Old Navy, Kohls, Target etc.

I will probably spend about $250 and the clothing will last until next summer. They usually get gift cards from family members for Christmas and can use them to buy more winter clothing if they feel they need it.

I buy my toddler's clothes at a second-hand store that only sells in-style, quality kids stuff. I usually trade in whatever she's outgrown for store credit so I end up spending very little money on her.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:10 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Hey you all misunderstood. The point of my post is my girls did not know who Hannah Montana was and said to me (NOT the lady who had them in her arms) why were there shirts with some girl's picture on them and why would anybody buy these shirts. The fact the lady overheard was purely accidental and I found her putting them back ...interesting. Maybe it was another reason, who knows.
Call me the wet blanket but I'm not buying this. Sounds like backpedaling to me. This is what you wrote:

Quote:
I remember a few years back we were shopping at Kohl's and there were masses of Hannah Montana clothes dirt cheap. My girls looked at them and out loud said "Why would anybody want to wear clothes with somebody else's picture on it?" A woman with her arms full of the stuff heard them and had a puzzled look on her face and slowly put all the garments back without saying a word. I guess what she heard made sense to her and she reconsidered.
You didn't say your daughters asked you who it was, why the person was on a shirt, etc. I've heard kids many times in a store saying "Mom, who's this?" on a shirt. If their comments made another woman look "puzzled" (your word) then they said it in a tone that was judgmental. You sounded proud of the fact that the other customer put the clothing back based on what your kids said. You threw out that you have a marketing degree to show us all that you know how this all works and that you won't fall into the trap of buying licensed stuff because of that. That is a far cry from saying that Hannah Montana in particular was offensive to you.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Here in N.C. kids will be wearing flip flops and shorts and t shirts for at least 6-8 weeks. It is a complete waste of time and money to me to shop for fall clothes this early yet our no tax day was last weekend and all the ads are screaming about fall clothes. I prefer to shop closer to the season as my kids grow very fast and it is too hot to shop for ANYTHING right now.

Do you set a budget for back to school clothes? I've adjusted to the fact I have to spend way more than I'm comfortable with for shoes and this year for the first time my 10 year old girls want some pretty flats as well as sport shoes so that is a double whammy. When the time comes I will spend about $150-$200 for long sleeve shirts, windbreakers, jeans, etc per girl which should get them to spring with what I bought last year(end of season sale) a size too big in anticipation of their growth spurt. At Christmas I will buy a few articles too. Am I in line with what you plan to spend? Thank god I don't have to buy a bunch of coats, boots, snow gear. Last year they wore their heavy coats once once or twice.
Helpful hint...we have a store here in CT called "Savers" it is second hand clothing in pretty decent shape and at great pricing. Some of the proceeds from the sale of this clothing go towards the Big Brother/Sister Program. There is everything a child would need to go back to school and then some. There are also books, kitchen supplies, baby clothing and furniture, jewelry. It is a fun place to go, clean and orderly with super friendly store clerks. As I have been losing weight I couldn't see purchasing new clothing as my size changed so fast. I completely have re done my wardrobe from Savers and as the clothes get too large, I can re-donate. It is a great place.

If you have this kind of second hand store you will be surprised at how easy it is to find stuff AND their winter clothing is already out on display. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting