Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
This may sound overly simplistic, but I never read studies raising my kids. I think every child is so completely unique, it is almost a waste of time. I study my children instead.

When my younger one started school, there were issues with his attention span. I noticed he seemed tired and distracted. I tried different things, but cutting out weekday TV viewing did wonders for him.

Now, this would not have made any difference with my older son. He could have had any type or amount of stimulation and still slept like a baby. But the younger one just couldn't handle that stimulus before sleeping. When I made that change, his school performance changed almost immediately. He went from having serious problems to being a very average student.

I guess my point is this: I worry when you spend too much time reading studies and trying to fit your child into a "category" and not enough time trying to understand their particular challenges and strengths and customizing a routine that works for them.
I really agree with the bolded. My DD has always had a lot of energy and needs very little sleep. It was also very hard fr her to fall alseep. I can understand that also because I was always the same way. We tried having a calm house with no tv and just a calm atmosphere before bed. Didn't work. She could not fall alseep. Finally, we tried something different. We kept the house calm and dark. She got ready for bed, had story time and then got to watch one show. After that show, she would go directly to bed. She got into bed and fell asleep before I could shut the door behind me. There were even times that she would fall asleep while watching the show and we would carry her to bed.

Every kid is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,704 times
I totally disagree with the study that children would develop ADHD by watching t.v. for a period of 3 hours a day.

These days, for a lot of people, television is a easy way to get a break we used to call it our built in babysitter, but I would not let my children watching t.v. more than one hour at the time.

Exercise is very important for children, a lack of exercise can affect physical and mental of the child.

I have a child with ADHD, diet is very important, we avoid anything with sugar, or red dye, I believed that ADHD and ADD is heriditary.

My son as a learning disability and had severe health issues at birth.We believed that all the surgeries that he had to go throught in infancy affected his development.

My child is able to watch only 5-10 minutes of t.v at the time, he would be fidgiting and doing 3 different things like playing with a toy, pulling his shirt or chewing his nails and running around the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting