Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,142,748 times

Advertisements

2nd day of my son attending high school for the first time and this POS sitting in front of him on the bus turns around and says "If you look at me, I'll split your eyes". My son says, bring it. Unfortunately even though my son is a big 9th grader, he's not very fast. The other kid fanned his head to the tune of about 7 punches.

A couple of things really pizz me off over this incident. First the attacker was sitting in front of my son so there's no reason that the attacker should have to worry about my son looking at him. Second, the school always has to downplay these types of incidents, (the principal said it was only a couple of punches and my son is partly to blame for saying "bring it"). The principal said they both signed statements about the incident. I've instructed my son and will be telling the principal, there will be no statements signed because IMO they mitigate and downplay the seriousness of these incidents to cover their arse in the event of a lawsuit if the problem persists. Anyone else had problems with their child's school in a similar situation? I am livid, I wanted charges pressed and the school deputy says the state attorney will just toss it and not prosecute.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,219,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
2nd day of my son attending high school for the first time and this POS sitting in front of him on the bus turns around and says "If you look at me, I'll split your eyes". My son says, bring it. Unfortunately even though my son is a big 9th grader, he's not very fast. The other kid fanned his head to the tune of about 7 punches.

A couple of things really pizz me off over this incident. First the attacker was sitting in front of my son so there's no reason that the attacker should have to worry about my son looking at him. Second, the school always has to downplay these types of incidents, (the principal said it was only a couple of punches and my son is partly to blame for saying "bring it"). The principal said they both signed statements about the incident. I've instructed my son and will be telling the principal, there will be no statements signed because IMO they mitigate and downplay the seriousness of these incidents to cover their arse in the event of a lawsuit if the problem persists. Anyone else had problems with their child's school in a similar situation? I am livid, I wanted charges pressed and the school deputy says the state attorney will just toss it and not prosecute.
If your son is a minor in your state can he sign a statement with any legal validity without you being present, or your attorney? Sounds to me like the school is doing a CYA but one without much/any legal weight.

Maybe you should talk to the police about it. Your son was attacked, no matter what response he gave to his attacker't taunt.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
You can press charges without the school's permission. Your son was assaulted. It's a police matter.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:18 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,616,129 times
Sounds like you need to talk with your son about keeping his mouth shut.

Did your son require medical attention? If so I'd call the police. What was the punishment set by the school for the other boy and your son?

Old 08-16-2012, 07:34 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,577,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You can press charges without the school's permission. Your son was assaulted. It's a police matter.
Good advice.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,827,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I second this.

I find it odd, though that the other kid didn't want your kid looking at him. I thought only stupid little teenage girls thought that way.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,935,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post

I would take it to the real police. Even if this incident is not prosecuted you will have a record that a serious incident occurred. This could be important if more incidents follow.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 AM

112 posts, read 293,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Sounds like you need to talk with your son about keeping his mouth shut.

Did your son require medical attention? If so I'd call the police. What was the punishment set by the school for the other boy and your son?
No way. You cannot expect a kid in high school to just let someone talk crap to him on the bus. You can't be serious?

I would be livid too, especially about how the school is handling it. I don't think I would press charges though. If it happened again then maybe but these types of things happen all the time.

I am afraid for my kids to be that age. High school is a very scary place, especially on the bus.

Can you start driving him to school?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,616,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyreinphx View Post
No way. You cannot expect a kid in high school to just let someone talk crap to him on the bus. You can't be serious?

I would be livid too, especially about how the school is handling it. I don't think I would press charges though. If it happened again then maybe but these types of things happen all the time.

I am afraid for my kids to be that age. High school is a very scary place, especially on the bus.

Can you start driving him to school?
Yes I can because you know what in the real world not keeping your mouth shut can get you killed. Hell it can get you killed in HS!

I'm not saying don't be mad, but telling someone who just threatened you to "bring it" is not an appropriate response.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would take it to the real police. Even if this incident is not prosecuted you will have a record that a serious incident occurred. This could be important if more incidents follow.
I agree.

Also, go to the doctor right away to document bruises or possible head injuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting