Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM

458 posts, read 611,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I'm not! Let us remain friendly, keep the discussion about parenting and not get into my views on religion as they are not pertinent here.
I'm always friendly....I hope....... I think......

and I don't see where or how I began to divert to your own views of religion but I respect your saying it's not pertinent to the thread! I recall saying something a bit similar a few posts up

with that I'm moving on.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:37 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
I'm always friendly....I hope....... I think......

and I don't see where or how I began to divert to your own views of religion but I respect your saying it's not pertinent to the thread, I recall saying something a bit similar a few posts up

with that I'm moving on.........

I was goofing around. I am a completely converted atheist. Seeking clarity in a church is mighty unlikely for me. More likely in a science book! We're all good.

Cheers.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Well Firstly, Yes, I will raise them Catholics, but if one of my children tells me his atheist, I'm not going to force him to take communion.
I would not take him. As someone said before, it's very hypocritical.

Funny you mention, communion, lets me ask you a question.
If your child no longer believed, but you still made him to go church, would you make him take communion?
I'm curious to know the answer to this question.
I would find a parent forcing their child to take a sacrament to be over the top invasive. I do think a parent can require service attendance against their child's wishes without forcing the child into a hypocritical position (following the logic that one cannot force someone else to believe something), but I see a difference between requiring respectfully sitting through a weekly service and requiring a child to participate in a sacrament they do not believe in. JMHO. As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't do either with our kids.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I would find a parent forcing their child to take a sacrament to be over the top invasive. I do think a parent can require service attendance against their child's wishes without forcing the child into a hypocritical position (following the logic that one cannot force someone else to believe something), but I see a difference between requiring respectfully sitting through a weekly service and requiring a child to participate in a sacrament they do not believe in. JMHO. As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't do either with our kids.
I guess I can agree with that.
But I'd really like to know her answer that question, then maybe I'll understand her point

Old 08-22-2012, 02:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:

Funny you mention, communion, lets me ask you a question.
If your child no longer believed, but you still made him to go church, would you make him take communion?
My hypothetical child?

No. That would be an abuse of the meaning of communion. He can sit quietly on the bench. Maybe enjoy the stained glass and think about the craftsmanship that went into them. Perhaps be inspired to create something wonderful on his own.

Going to answer my question about the Pagan symbol your kid has painted on his door?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My hypothetical child?

No. That would be an abuse of the meaning of communion. He can sit quietly on the bench. Maybe enjoy the stained glass and think about the craftsmanship that went into them. Perhaps be inspired to create something wonderful on his own.

Going to answer my question about the Pagan symbol your kid has painted on his door?
What about the pagan symbol?

Honestly, think about it here.
If your child isn't going to pray, listen to what's being said,participate in the mass, accept communion, and sing, what's the real reason he's there. I'd love to know that. What's the real reason he's there, because in the long run, it equals up to him remaining at home doing nothing.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:32 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:

If your child isn't going to pray, listen to what's being said,participate in the mass, accept communion, and sing, what's the real reason he's there. I'd love to know that. What's the real reason he's there, because in the long run, it equals up to him remaining at home doing nothing.
Tell-The-Truth made an effort. But I guess I did not understand. It seemed to me to amount to she had experienced something that made her think that there was benefit to exposing her kids to education about a person. That is not terribly clear to me.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM

458 posts, read 611,248 times
Quote:

"Because I said so", just isn't sufficient, huh?

Just saying.......

Old 08-22-2012, 02:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
you can't force your child to believe anything.
I've become convinced that's what this thread is really all about. One more 20-something upset because A) Mom tried to tell him what to do, or, B) He wants to tell everyone that no one can control him.

OP: Do you enjoy texting? Have I got the girl for you.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Tell-The-Truth made an effort. But I guess I did not understand. It seemed to me to amount to she had experienced something that made her think that there was benefit to exposing her kids to education about a person. That is not terribly clear to me.
I am chuckling to myself that given my personal belief system, I am arguing hypothetically for the benefits of requiring childhood attendance at religious services.

I know my mom's reasons were varied, including but not limited to using the hour as a period of spiritual reflection, exposure to the content of the services, opportunity to discuss similarities and differences in belief after the service, that the development of whatever beliefs one holds takes time and it is difficult for a parent to know whether the child is going through a period of doubt/period of changed convictions/period of not feeling like doing it, as well as her belief that part of her job as our parent was to bring us up in the RC faith.

It took a long while for her to be ok with me taking charge of my own immortal soul, as she sees it, but we got there in the end. I do think our family has had some very in depth religious/spiritual discussions because of her choices about how we were raised, even if I don't think it was all beneficial and even if I am choosing differently with my own children. For me, I do believe I have a stronger understanding of what I do and do not believe due to my exposure and experiences. I am certain other people probably have different reasons, but those are the ones I remember. The upshot of all of this is that I don't see requiring religious service attendance in childhood as being unequivocally useless.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 08-22-2012 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting