Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Remember Vietnam, They waited till your child was 18- and they took them from you via the draft..indoctrinated them...sent them off to kill people...so in effect parents lost custody of their kids to the state. Discrimination is a good thing..Your kids should be taught and encouraged to discriminate against what is good for them and what is not. HATE- that is another matter..I have seen families where the father would attempt to teach his kids to hate other races- other religions and so on.
Prejuidice and legal discrimination against protected classes are bad things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 PM

105 posts, read 106,354 times
Quote:
Remember Vietnam, They waited till your child was 18- and they took them from you via the draft..indoctrinated them...sent them off to kill people...so in effect parents lost custody of their kids to the state.
Wrong.

First, it wasn't the states that drafted for our military, it was the federal government.

Secondly, no one was drafted before the age of 18. Upon turning 18, there is no longer custody.

My brother enlisted at the age of 18 and ended up in Germany. I married at the age of 18. Our parents couldn't do anything because they no longer had say over us.

Just because mothers want to keep their precious Jr. under their control until the guy or girl turns 25 or 30, doesn't mean they have legal control over them at the age of 18.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
..indoctrinated them..
Not everyone......lmbo........not everyone. I guess you have to know the mindset of those guys (and I can assure you I have a real good grasp of that particular subject) because if that was the goal of the government, I'm afraid they failed miserably. But that discussion is probably better left to POC. Heavy sigh.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-31-2012 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 02:16 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I agree, which is why I said at the beginning of my post:
Yup. I should have made clear I agree with you!

Old 08-31-2012, 02:21 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So the children must shoulder the burden of their parents' beliefs? What about their rights? In the case of the children named after Hitler, I think what you are saying is precisely why the judge took them away. They would have been socially shunned through no fault of their own.

I don't have the answer, but I also don't think parents have free rein to screw up their childrens futures.
The answer is that most of the time parents don't screw it up. Sometimes they do. And the counterpoint is that many great parents have kids that screw it up all by themselves.

Since the world is imperfect we can't fix everything.

Government however cannot be trusted to intervene. Automatically it is authority levied from a distant place, with zero family ties, no knowledge of a child's personality, their fears, etc.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:26 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The answer is that most of the time parents don't screw it up. Sometimes they do. And the counterpoint is that many great parents have kids that screw it up all by themselves.

Since the world is imperfect we can't fix everything.

Government however cannot be trusted to intervene. Automatically it is authority levied from a distant place, with zero family ties, no knowledge of a child's personality, their fears, etc.
I agree. I'd rather deal with issues case by case rather than attempt to legislate something like this.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:37 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
California just passed a ban on ex-gay therapy for minors. It got me thinking in general if there should be legal limits on what parents are allowed to teach to their children, either religiously or otherwise.

Could it be considered child abuse to raise a child as part of the KKK? To force a gay child to attend a very conservative Catholic church? To raise a child with anti-American beliefs and 'off the grid?"

Obviously the decision in CA is a bit different because ex-gay therapy is masquerading as a medical technique. But the same parent who wanted to send their child to such therapy can inflict many of the same techniques in a home setting. Gay children and teens have a high rate of depression and suicide, often because they are in home situations where they are shamed, forced to hid, or pressured to change.

At what point does a parent's individual beliefs cross over the line into child abuse?
Should there be any limits at all to what concepts or beliefs a parent can attempt to pass down?
It is my understanding that in the European countries where homosexuality doesn't really have a stigma attached to it that suicide, etc. remains about the same. So, I don't think forcing parents not to pass on their morals and values to children will make a lot of difference but I know this argument just keeps coming up. Actually, you my thought was "yet another homosexual thread".

No. There are laws in place for abuse, neglect and exploitation and that is all that is needed. This would be a way to get to the children of families who homeschool to allow the state to "indoctrinate" the children to the "norm" established by the state though.

To suggest that a family not be allowed to pass on their beliefs, values and morals would show that one does not understand the concept of "family".

Looks like this idea won't sell.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
California just passed a ban on ex-gay therapy for minors. It got me thinking in general if there should be legal limits on what parents are allowed to teach to their children, either religiously or otherwise.

Could it be considered child abuse to raise a child as part of the KKK? To force a gay child to attend a very conservative Catholic church? To raise a child with anti-American beliefs and 'off the grid?"

Obviously the decision in CA is a bit different because ex-gay therapy is masquerading as a medical technique. But the same parent who wanted to send their child to such therapy can inflict many of the same techniques in a home setting. Gay children and teens have a high rate of depression and suicide, often because they are in home situations where they are shamed, forced to hid, or pressured to change.

At what point does a parent's individual beliefs cross over the line into child abuse?
Should there be any limits at all to what concepts or beliefs a parent can attempt to pass down?
It is my understanding that in the European countries where homosexuality doesn't really have a stigma attached to it that suicide, etc. remains about the same. So, I don't think forcing parents not to pass on their morals and values to their children will make a lot of difference but I know this argument just keeps coming up. Actually, my thought was "yet another homosexual thread in a new package".

No. There are laws in place for abuse, neglect and exploitation and that is all that is needed. This would be a way to get to the children of families who homeschool to allow the state to "indoctrinate" the children to the "norm" established by the state though.

To suggest that a family not be allowed to pass on their beliefs, values and morals would show that one does not understand the concept of "family".

Looks like this idea won't sell.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
One example is that wacky "church" where the members stage protests outside funerals of our brave fallen soldiers. That in my mind is so horrible and the children in this group are being brain washed and abused. The Supreme Court thinks otherwise-well they did not directly address the issue of how the children are being manipulated but the group as a whole can express their freedom of speech. While I don't agree with what this group has to say, and I have volunteered to block families from their presence, I do believe in Free Speech.
Interesting, the brainwashing from Westboro does not always take. We can be thankful that many of the younger generation is escaping this church.

Megan Phelps-Roper of Westboro Baptist Church: An heir to hate - KansasCity.com

Quote:
For much of the past two decades, in the shadow of the state Capitol, the family-run Westboro Baptist Church has served as a training ground for hate.

From the age of 3, children are handed anti-gay, anti-Semitic picket signs and programmed to serve as soldiers in the Westboro Baptist Church’s army. They are taught the specifics of the group’s message — that America’s natural disasters are the direct result of a nationwide acceptance of homosexuality, that God is not the all-loving, all-forgiving being contemporary religion has made him out to be, that the church’s interpretation of the Bible is the only legitimate one. They are also taught to pray for the death of those with the audacity to try and silence the message.
But:

[quote]Since 2004, 20 members have left the Westboro Baptist Church, three-fourths of them in their teens or 20s. The defections have left a sizable dent in the group’s third generation, which, for a church that has relied almost exclusively upon family to populate its congregation, is not an insignificant development. There are those on both sides of the family who would like to guide Megan’s future.
/QUOTE]

Old 08-31-2012, 10:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
This is an attack against the family- an attack on Matriarchy and Patriarchy. It is not about "Ideology" - It is about familiar identity..about tradition and personal and private value systems. A family is like a sovereign nation. Each nation on earth started off as one family or tribe.

Offspring are the product of the sovereign human body. Children are the property of those who produced them. No different than a crop out of a garden....They are not the property of ideologues or the state. If a father or mother wants to pass down their values to the kids..it happens naturally- if those values are unhealthy - the child as they mature will make the needed adjustments.

Children are not property. They are not the property of their parents, they are human beings. They are not the property of the state either. They are human beings.

Families are NOT nations though they can be tribal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting