Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

This is the set designed for girls and the hoopla over it's introduction has meant more sales, of course. But I see this as a stepping stone for girls to want the "traditional" legos. We mix ours all up anyway. Anything that brings more children into the wonderful world of construction play is a good thing. This article explains how the two groups worked together to help change some practices in advertising and packaging. As usual, the media presented it in a more sensational way than it ever was. The media made a collaboration into a controversy.
Even this headline is misleading.

Lego Friends Triples Sales Despite Feminist Critique - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I agree that anything that gets girls into construction play is great but I don't like the idea that parents will somehow think the default LEGO set should be the pink one with "friends". It just rubs me the wrong way.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,637 times
I think it is great. My middle daughter was one of only two girls to attend a summer camp once that focused on engineering and building structures. She was upset at first when she arrived and saw the sea of boys. I was so happy when I saw the other girl arrive because I wasn't sure if I would get my daughter to leave my side if that girl had not shown up! My daughter was also equally hesitant when she tried Lego League, and there was almost all boys. Fortunately a couple girls joined the League with my daughter. However some other girls in my daughter's class made comments about her being in Lego League.

If these new Legos get more girls interested in engineering etc., I think it is great. My daughter seems to have a natural interest in such things, but I think it was a shame that the lack of other girls has made her more hesitant to pursue this interest. She is pretty shy, and I can tell that she has sensed something is wrong if she is potentially the only girl participating in these activities. Of course we encourage her, but peer support would really be nice!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
I think it is great. My middle daughter was one of only two girls to attend a summer camp once that focused on engineering and building structures. She was upset at first when she arrived and saw the sea of boys. I was so happy when I saw the other girl arrive because I wasn't sure if I would get my daughter to leave my side if that girl had not shown up! My daughter was also equally hesitant when she tried Lego League, and there was almost all boys. Fortunately a couple girls joined the League with my daughter. However some other girls in my daughter's class made comments about her being in Lego League.

If these new Legos get more girls interested in engineering etc., I think it is great. My daughter seems to have a natural interest in such things, but I think it was a shame that the lack of other girls has made her more hesitant to pursue this interest. She is pretty shy, and I can tell that she has sensed something is wrong if she is potentially the only girl participating in these activities. Of course we encourage her, but peer support would really be nice!
I understand what you are saying as my 2 girls were the only girls at Lego Engineering Camp this summer. I've found that girls with older brothers who have legos tend to really be into them. Parents may not have even thought girls would be interested in legos but almost all boys have some legos.

If your daughter has a play date over, be sure to bring out the legos and I bet the visitor will find them intriguing if she has a more experienced lego player by her side. Sometimes I hear one of my daughters playing legos by herself. Heck I even love playing with them.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I understand what you are saying as my 2 girls were the only girls at Lego Engineering Camp this summer. I've found that girls with older brothers who have legos tend to really be into them.Parents may not have even thought girls would be interested in legos but almost all boys have some legos.

If your daughter has a play date over, be sure to bring out the legos and I bet the visitor will find them intriguing if she has a more experienced lego player by her side. Sometimes I hear one of my daughters playing legos by herself. Heck I even love playing with them.
That's the exact problem I have. It's almost as if parents think unless something is oh-so-pink and pretty girls won't be interested. I don't like it.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Every young girl that I now has Legos, and not the new ones for girls. I honestly didn't know this was an issue.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
What I always found interesting as a teacher, year after year...when I taught SPED pre school, I had blocks, dolls, Bob the Builder tool set, Barbie House...Legos...the kids had free play time, and inevitably, I never told the kids what to play with...but boys went to blocks, girls went to dolls. More boys would play with dolls, but very few girls wanted to play with blocks. Just a perspective.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What I always found interesting as a teacher, year after year...when I taught SPED pre school, I had blocks, dolls, Bob the Builder tool set, Barbie House...Legos...the kids had free play time, and inevitably, I never told the kids what to play with...but boys went to blocks, girls went to dolls. More boys would play with dolls, but very few girls wanted to play with blocks. Just a perspective.
Interesting. Even those big Duplo blocks? I thought they were designed for manual dexterity, space conception building and eye hand coordination. Obviously something every child of either sex needs to develop. I wonder if that was because they played with that at home rather than a lack of interest. Every female child who visits our house makes a mad dash to our sizable Lego collection and when my girls pick out birthday gifts for their friends they pick out Legos.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I wonder if it was based on what they were familiar playing with at home. Since this was SPED preschool, I would try to get them to play with different toys. They just gravitated towards what they wanted to do...unless I put specific toys in front of them.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I had one barbie that lived in a box its entire life.

No piece of lego I owned stayed in the box for longer than 2 seconds.

Pink legos...honestly, if my parents had bought me that, I would have been totally p****d and offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting