Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 08:08 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times

Advertisements

What's with the decidedly male point of view here? How is it everyone stops loving sons but no daughters have been mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 08:34 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
On a boring Saturday afternoon recently my husband and I were talking about this very thing. (There might have been drinks involved). If they (daughter and son) committed a really horrific crime as described in some of the posts, I would stop liking them. I'd hate what they had become. I'd probably never see them again. I'd still love them and who they were when I did like them.

They lived as part of me for 9 months. I feed them, clothed them, cared for them and loved them even before they were born. I suspect it would be like they passed away. I would mourn and still love the child that I lost through their own actions.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:15 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
It's interesting...but does it really matter whether or not you "love" someone if you've completely cut them off anyway? It's a great sentiment but the only person it does any good for is yourself so that you can still say you love your child - doesn't do anything for them. It's a bit like a "If a tree falls in the woods but no one is there to hear it..." kind of thing.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:22 PM

6,861 posts, read 4,856,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This most closely resembles my feelings on the matter. I don't know if I could ever stop loving. My heart would be shattered like glass...but I think I'd still love my child. Heck, I gave a baby up for adoption back in 99...and I still love him. I think...maybe it would be like as if they died...I don't know.
I think giving up a child for adoption, realizing it is in the best interest of the child, is about the most loving thing a mother can do.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:58 AM

40 posts, read 25,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
On a boring Saturday afternoon recently my husband and I were talking about this very thing. (There might have been drinks involved). If they (daughter and son) committed a really horrific crime as described in some of the posts, I would stop liking them. I'd hate what they had become. I'd probably never see them again. I'd still love them and who they were when I did like them.

They lived as part of me for 9 months. I feed them, clothed them, cared for them and loved them even before they were born. I suspect it would be like they passed away. I would mourn and still love the child that I lost through their own actions.
Wouldn't that be martyring. I think a lot of women are afraid to admit they could stop loving their child, grown or not because they are afraid of appearance.

"When the bough breaks the cradle will fall, and down will come baby cradle and all."

Love CAN end. Sometimes it's necessary.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:55 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
I mean, my mother has often jokingly said that if I were convicted of a seriously crime she'd disown me. Of course, I've never been convicted of a serious crime, have no record of any kind, and don't plan on getting one. In fact, I'd say those words spoken to me in jest so long ago are the reason why. Because of this I wonder if my mother would actually just cut all ties with me if I hit her breaking point. I wonder if I'd do the same if I had kids and set some kind of imaginary breaking point? Is thee a breaking point? Should there be a breaking point? Would any of you parents stop loving your children if they did something horrible? Or does parenthood ignore all that?

Edit: I wasn't sure if this should go in this section or the great debate section. Please move or keep as required.
I don’t have children in part because I am not sure if I could always love them and always be there for them.

I think that if you have children, you should always love them. But I know that’s hard to do.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:02 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,903 times
If they give you enough grief, disrespectful, hatefulness and heartache, yes you can stop loving them.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:19 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
I have a friend who had her first son when she was something like 16 or 17. She avoids the topic with me all together along with her first husband/father.... I've known her for a very long time and she is still not open to talking about it. I've personally witnessed verbal abuse from him (now in his late 20s) towards her.... To the point that I wanted to step in but it was awkward because after all he is her son. He and his wife live with her currently.... pretty much living off of her and her husband. Her husband has physical altercations with him too and now even their own marriage is failing.

I cannot think of a better example to stop loving her son....

Old 09-04-2021, 11:59 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
What's with the decidedly male point of view here? How is it everyone stops loving sons but no daughters have been mentioned?
I think posters are mainly considering crimes such as serial killing, pedophilia, rapist, etc, which are overwhelmingly committed by male perpetrators.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:48 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
There is a breaking point on when a parent should stop enabling, spoiling and making excuses for their child and probably a breaking point on when to stop supporting a child but no breaking point for stopping the love.

When I was growing up, our neighbors son was a mess. He'd lie to them to get money, steal from them, call from jail for bail. They paid for stints in rehab even once refinancing their house to do so.

Finally, they had had it. When they retired, they sold their home and bought an RV. She was sobbing when they left and he was choking back the tears.

They still loved him. They just couldn't be around him any more.

This was before cell phones, so don't know how it turned out, as we lost touch with them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting