Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,694,238 times

Advertisements

^^^^ That's the extreme, of course... but I have seen lots of parents who are completely helpless during their children's temper tantrums. My children were not permitted to let their behavior get that far. "Mom may I please have candy?" was met by only two answers, "Not today," or "Of course". They accepted the former without complaint or further discussion, although they were effusive in their thanks for the latter.

If you repetitively permit behavior problems to grow until the only answer is spanking to enforce the "I am the PARENT, YOU are the CHILD!" dynamic, then you are not doing it right. I was always the parent, I was always in charge. When DH and I were together, we were a team; we never subverted each other. We also never said "No...no... no... OK, YES!" - which lets a child know that, the more obnoxious he becomes, the more readily a parent will give in, and he has "won". Next time he knows how to "win", and he'll push it even further.

We had a lot of fun with our kids, we would do Mel Brooks or Monty Python skits with them on trips, we would play music and sing, we would try to top each other with smartazz comments when they were older, and we always had debates - political, social, theoretical - around the kitchen table during and after dinner, when we would all play rummy, spades, dominoes, or Trivial Pursuit together. Our kids were not fearful automatons; they were well-rounded individuals who learned self-respect and respect for others. They knew where the lines were, and did not cross them. That is what real parenting is, in our opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:47 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
If it were my intention to say that, I most likely would have. I was more referring to the failure on ones part to intellectually find a better resolution to a situation before turning to violence. Intellectually reasoning directly with the child is only one such solution. There are others. I merely think that violence is the recourse we turn to when the intellect has failed to find (or to even try to find) a resolution that works.
Ah yes, I see. Spanking is a low-brow solution for the intellectually lazy. A proletarian pastime no less. Intellectual Rube-Goldberg solutions when a simple one works are far more superior.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,379,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Ah yes, I see. Spanking is a low-brow solution for the intellectually lazy.
Sometimes. There are those that prefer to turn to violence as their first port of call rather than engaging their brain. I would of course not paint all people with such a brush but they certainly do exist.

Generally violence is the result of a break down in some level of communication. The reasons for such a break down can be many, from laziness, to a failure of imagination, to simply biases not allowing one side to listen to the other... the list goes on.

I simply feel that in any situation, whether political on a global scale, or whether on the smaller scale of a parenting instilling discipline in a child... that recourse to violence is the result of failure somewhere. There are usually other solutions. Violence is generally the easier one for some people.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
^^^^ That's the extreme, of course... but I have seen lots of parents who are completely helpless during their children's temper tantrums. My children were not permitted to let their behavior get that far.

We had a lot of fun with our kids, we would do Mel Brooks or Monty Python skits with them on trips, we would play music and sing, we would try to top each other with smartazz comments when they were older, and we always had debates - political, social, theoretical - around the kitchen table during and after dinner, when we would all play rummy, spades, dominoes, or Trivial Pursuit together. Our kids were not fearful automatons; they were well-rounded individuals who learned self-respect and respect for others. They knew where the lines were, and did not cross them. That is what real parenting is, in our opinion.
Exactly. They are raised so they know that X is the point they stop at. If they cross X they pay the consequences. We didn't spank but I can promise you they did not enjoy the consequences.

Your family sounds a lot like ours. We were heavy on the personal discipline but that allowed the whole family to grow as a unit and be close. Because everyone knew what the rules were. We too had/have great times together. (And we attracted the kids who had no discipline in their own homes. Kids want structure.)

Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,072,342 times
Children need a good swat every once in a while. I can count on one hand how many times my kids have gotten spankings (and my form of spanking is one swat). Doesn't mean that someone has less inteligence, is lazy, or is violent). My parents would take it a bit further than what I do but we clearly knew who was in charge and never disrespected them (you would never hear us say FU to our parents or tell them we weren't going to do certain things, we knew the consequences of not doing what we were told were greater than being sent to our room so we NEVER over stepped our boundaries). Remember there is something called verbal abuse too and I've seen this more and more when there is no spanking.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,122,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Are you suggesting that kids who aren't spanked grow up to be well adjusted adults with strong critical thinking skills?
Kids who aren't spanked grow up to be adults who were never given boundaries or consequences by their parents, parents who do their kids a grave disservice by failing at tough love. Strong critical thinking skills is neither here nor there.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,650,658 times
I agree with some of the other posts. Some kids need a good swat every now and then and that's how my brother and I were raised. Yes we had the belt too, but did we turn out messed up? No. And as someone else said, some kids cannot be intellectually reasoned with. For example, do you think a child that's throwing a terrible temper tantrum can be reasoned with? No. I don't find spanking to be laziness. I find it effective actually. Worked for me and my brother.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,715,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Sometimes. There are those that prefer to turn to violence as their first port of call rather than engaging their brain. I would of course not paint all people with such a brush but they certainly do exist.

Generally violence is the result of a break down in some level of communication. The reasons for such a break down can be many, from laziness, to a failure of imagination, to simply biases not allowing one side to listen to the other... the list goes on.

I simply feel that in any situation, whether political on a global scale, or whether on the smaller scale of a parenting instilling discipline in a child... that recourse to violence is the result of failure somewhere. There are usually other solutions. Violence is generally the easier one for some people.
Ah, but the intellectual and communication solution requires two sides to participate and craft a mutually beneficial solution. If one side does not see the benefit of cooperating (whether that's becasue they want to enrich uranium or draw on the walls), then the other is forced to use their power to compel the desired behavior. Occasionally the more simplistic and "intellectual" devices fail to work (economic sanctions or time outs) and the side who wishes to end the bad behavior is forced to elevate their response (lob a couple cruise missiles or deliver a swat). If one is not willing to perhaps elevate to that type of response, I find many simply fallback to bribery to purchase the desired result (we'll give you already enriched uranium for your power plants and send you money or I'll take you to Toys R' Us and let you pick out something special).

Cruise missiles or swats, can show you mean business and intend to enforce your rules, but they aren't the first option and aren't needed in most situations. International aid or trips to the toy store result in simply reinforcing positive consequences for bad behavior.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,275,408 times
I don't like to spank but I have done it on occasion and it seems to get a point across. Now that my daughter is 11, I never spank. Just a few days ago, she got really disrespectful in the car to me. I pulled over on the side of the road, got out of the car and opened her door, grasped her arm firmly and admonished her in a quiet but low voice that I was REALLY angry. That seemed to do the trick and got the point across. I think that my quiet rage was much more effective than a spank, lol.

My son on the other hand still needs the occasional swat on the butt. Been many many months though... I usually try to exhaust tother methods first. They both usually get the point before I have to resort to other means. I was very occasionally spanked as a kid by my parents but most of the time, reasoned with. I had the upmost respect for my mom and dad and would never think of disrespecting them. They were certainly not failures as parents for the occasional spanking.

Kudos to the parents that have never spanked and can intellectually engage your child's brain. That is some self control your child has and come control you have. I'm sure that you have never raised your voice in anger as well---that would be a break down in communication and possibly traumatize the child.....

Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,650,658 times
I don't think spanking would traumatize a kid. Never heard of that happening and it sounds like some stupid way to Molly-coddle bad behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting