Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times

Advertisements

A co-worker was stressing the other day because her 10 yr. old daughter came home from her father's house crying because her 13 yr. old step-brother climbed in her bed during the night. She was upset and frightened by the incident. Apparently, he did not touch her...but I feel the implication or intention was there. The little girls therapist said that he step-brother was likely "testing the waters" to see how much trouble there would be by doing something "innocent" (like climbing in her bed in the middle of the night).

My co-worker called CPS (who told her that it is an indication that the boy has the intention of doing something worse) and the police (who told her that it was perfectly fine for him to sleep in the same bed with her because he didn't touch her).

Sorry, but I don't believe this is normal or perfectly fine. I believe this boy has / had every intention of touching or molesting this little girl. At 13, he has to know that this was inappropriate.

How worried should she be here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
What has the girl's father said about the incident? If I were the mother, the father's response would determine whether I tried to get visitation changed or not.

Ideally, the daughter's visits to her dad could be scheduled for weekends when the stepbrother was visiting his dad, and the two could be kept apart. Otherwise, at the very least, I'd be sending my daughter with a cell phone and insisting that she have a lock on her bedroom door.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
So she called CPS and the cops and apparently this girl's therapist. I don't suppose she called her Ex? And told him they were going to have the Come to Jesus talk about what's appropriate, what's not, respect for his daughter, his responsibilities as the father of this girl and telling the 13-year to knock it off and stay the heck away from his step sister's bed because, young man, you are looking at the wrath of Shiva the goddess of death if you so much as look at her side-ways.

I don't suppose she made that call?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-12-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 03:08 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
A co-worker was stressing the other day because her 10 yr. old daughter came home from her father's house crying because her 13 yr. old step-brother climbed in her bed during the night. She was upset and frightened by the incident. Apparently, he did not touch her...but I feel the implication or intention was there. The little girls therapist said that he step-brother was likely "testing the waters" to see how much trouble there would be by doing something "innocent" (like climbing in her bed in the middle of the night).

My co-worker called CPS (who told her that it is an indication that the boy has the intention of doing something worse) and the police (who told her that it was perfectly fine for him to sleep in the same bed with her because he didn't touch her).

Sorry, but I don't believe this is normal or perfectly fine. I believe this boy has / had every intention of touching or molesting this little girl. At 13, he has to know that this was inappropriate.

I don't think it's ok for a 13 year old boy to climb in bed with a 10 year old girl. Did your coworker call her daughter's father?

Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,954 times
This is fine as long as the boy doesn't touch ... but you will not be able to keep him from doing that ... so it isn't fine at all. I'm not convinced the boy knows it is inappropriate but he should be told/taught that it is. I'm worried that the girl has a "therapist" ... what the heck for? Why give a 10 year old girl THE RAPIST (think about it).

Sounds like the parents aren't involved enough in this to me. Parents teach common sense a lot better than others to their own children. Someone needs to toss the therapist, CPS, and the police ... get rid of all of them as they will only make life worse for all. Tell the boy not to do it again and blacken his butt up with a belt if he even thinks about it again. Oh there is a paddle instead of a belt? ... well that is fine.

Why was the girl scared? Did she think he would do something but remained in the bed anyway? Really? Teach her to leave the bed! Why would she lay there to "take it" when she is only 10? Anything whatsoever she needs to leave. That doesn't mean someone did something wrong, it just means she wasn't comfortable.

There is so much not right with this story.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:43 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So she called CPS and the cops and apparently this girl's therapist. I don't suppose she called her Ex? And told him they were going to have the Come to Jesus talk about what's appropriate, what's not, respect for his daughter, his responsibilities as the father of this girl and telling the 13-year to knock it off and stay the heck away from his step sister's bed because, young man, you are looking at the wrath of Shiva the goddess of death if you so much as look at her side-ways.

I don't suppose she made that call?
Hahaha... ^^^This girl's on a roll! Yeah, what Dew said!

Gee....another burning question in the back of my mind though....like, um....why is this girl already seeing a therapist?

Something tells me that a 13 yr old step-brother, climbing into his 10 yr old step-sister's bed, is NOT the only thing that's wrong in this family!

Again...shaking head here....10 yr old in THERAPY!?

Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
I hate that all males are suspected sexual predators.

For me there are 2 separate issues. The boy needs to know that he's probably a bit old to be trying to snuggle with his step-sister, we'll probably never know what his intentions were. And the second issue is if the girl is uncomfortable she must know to say so at the time, call for help, do whatever she needs to do.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,220 times
I've seen lots of kids of a divorced family in therapy, just saying.

You know me on topics like this. I'd be tempted to not allow the boy to see her again!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,944 times
That's not acceptable behavior at all, nor should it be allowed whether touching takes place or doesn't.

He's 13, his hormones are deveolping and fianlly raging like sexually active popcorn.

I def agree that the intent was there. He's not related to her and he's old enough to know that, I'd keep an eye on him.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times

The fact that the girl was not comfortable is all I need to know. It's all you need to know, too. Unfortunately, it's not your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting