Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

I have been guilty of this- exiting picture taking time cause I've gained some weight and hate to be photographed. In the mean time my daughters will not have any pictures of their mother which is kind of selfish. I'm still wondering how I'm going to deal with this. I'm not a new Mom but it is pretty common for Moms to not want to be included in any photos when they don't feel they look their best.

Fighting the 'Mom-Shell' Image: New Moms Struggle to Embrace Post-Baby Body - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Loved this story. My mom hates pics, and I have very few of my mom or with my mom.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have been guilty of this- exiting picture taking time cause I've gained some weight and hate to be photographed. In the mean time my daughters will not have any pictures of their mother which is kind of selfish. I'm still wondering how I'm going to deal with this. I'm not a new Mom but it is pretty common for Moms to not want to be included in any photos when they don't feel they look their best.

Fighting the 'Mom-Shell' Image: New Moms Struggle to Embrace Post-Baby Body - ABC News
It is truly all about YOU being their Mother and not you looking your best for a photo. If you have a good relationship with your daughters all they see is YOU THEIR MOTHER.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,161 times
I have been guilty of the same thing. Due to a thyroid disease, i've gained 100 lbs in 4 years. Its starting to come off now that i've been diagnosed (lost 10 lbs in about 2 weeks now), but still feel way too self conscious about my pictures. We still take lots of waist up pics together though.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:24 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
There are very few of me but that's because I'm, usually, the one holding the camera.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
There are very few of me but that's because I'm, usually, the one holding the camera.

Same here... no one else would take the photos, if I didn't.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ditto!

If it's a weight thing... you can try to think of it as a token of how you were. When you lose the weight, you can look back and remember how much you hated the way you looked and felt when you were heavy. It could possibly help you keep the weight off - which is hard and endless work.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,701 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
This was how it use to be, when film cost a fortune to buy and develop.

Now, my son has a digital camera and takes zillions of pictures of me. Of course, most of them I don't care to see, but he keeps them.
He is glad I did not have a digital camera when he was younger... he says I already have way too many pictures of him.

When my mom died in 2003 I had enough pictures of her doing things she loved to do to make a collage that hangs on my wall to this day. I LOVE looking at it and am so glad she wasn't camera shy.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,121,425 times
I'm getting better at this, thanks to this article. It doesn't matter if this isn't what I want to look like, or if it isn't what I used to look like.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Thanks for posting this. I sent my wife a link to the blog. She is pretty self-conscious about not being in pictures unless she looks her best and it isn't even always about weight. Me on the other hand...let's just say the kids will be digging to find a decent picture of dad if they ever need one. I don't mind cheesing for the camera and taking a picture even if I'm in my "lawn clothes" and covered in dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting