Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Since the 1990s, assistance is contigent upon adults working while receiving benefits. So the idea that dad cannot be in the picture, or that parents cannot work is just plan old NOT TRUE.

And once more, as of 2010, over 46% of mothers on welfare were over 30.
In Illinois 54% of all babies were born on Medicaid and in Illinois many women on welfare with kids don't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I know that, in theory, you're supposed to be working. I remember, because it was the very tail-end of the 90's when I was desperate for help...

For two parents to both make minimum wage or barely above that, you make too much to qualify unless you've got a bunch of kids, or more than one anyways. (It's based on household income and household size.) If two parents make minimum wage, and they have to pay for childcare, then they are losing money. If one parent makes minimum wage and the other stays home, they don't make enough to live, and nobody cares that the stay-at-home is performing childcare, she's obviously "lazy." You can be unemployed and get benefits if you provide "proof" that you are looking for work. There is a form you have employers fill out when you apply. No requirement to accept work however, if you are offered it...merely to be applying.

They (individual states have different rules) may also require you to go through programs in their Workforce Development centers, to learn how to create a resume, dress for work, do an interview, etc etc.

But if you're a single parent you can get all the cheese. However, they will press you to reveal the name of the other parent so that they can get child support out of them, which will either go to the state to repay them for your benefits, or else if you get that money it will disqualify you.

There is no option to pick and choose only what you need to get on your feet again, and that's what made me upset. You can't just say no, keep your food stamps and medical, and monthly check, I only want a little help temporarily with my childcare costs so that I can keep working while my husband is hospitalized (to use my example)...you either qualify for a whole package of stuff, or nothing at all. And that demarcation is not often where it should be, and it does allow for people to lie about how many others live with them, work under the table, etc.

Besides which I have also had coworkers who said, and I quote, "I can't work more than x number of hours per week or I will lose my benefits." Not to mention how many people game the system via things like unemployment, disability, or status as a student in college.

I'm all for helping people who want to help themselves, but this system we have is very imperfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting