Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times

Advertisements

I see cheer as something that is supposed to be a fun, after school activity, not something that is worth spending thousands of dollars on or something that can become a career or lead to scholarships. Like anything, I think people take it way too far.

I wouldn't have a problem if my dd wanted to be a high school cheerleader, but that's about it. If I agree to spend that kind of money, time, and energy, it would be on something that she had a possibility of a future in. I just don't see it just for the one in a million chance of her becoming a Laker girl for one season. There are many performance based activities that have greater possibilities and career paths than cheerleading. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:44 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Seeing as how I have absolutely no interest in looking at photos of 8th grade girls posted on the internet, I scrolled right past it after reading the OP.

But thanks for bringing it to our attention. Not that it means anything because I just watched an entire day of NFL football and, gosh, if you really look at the players in their immensely tight pants you can clearly see their junk. (Does that worry you as well?)

Other revealing sports: tennis, trampoline, gymnastics, swimming, diving...
I have no problem with bodies. But there is something different about sports gear that is formed in order to perform some kind of function, like say football pants not getting in the way, leotards that don't get stuck in the gymnastics equipment... and midi shirts that serve not purpose but to sexualize little girls. It is not a hill I would die on. But it does squick me out a bit.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
I loved swimming in high school.
I would have hated to have been kept from swimming all because the swimsuits were revealing.
You HAVE to have the swim suits like that, the drag the suits cause could add seconds which could make the difference between you and the person next to you and a shot at the state championship and a medal.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM

885 posts, read 1,882,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I have no problem with bodies. But there is something different about sports gear that is formed in order to perform some kind of function, like say football pants not getting in the way, leotards that don't get stuck in the gymnastics equipment... and midi shirts that serve not purpose but to sexualize little girls. It is not a hill I would die on. But it does squick me out a bit.
Pretty much my point.

Bathing suits, while kind of revealing are not "sexual" I'd have an issue with bikini's during diving just the same.

Look at that picture. I see nothing but a bunch of dressed up kids by sick parents, coaches etc..

Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Pretty much my point.

Bathing suits, while kind of revealing are not "sexual" I'd have an issue with bikini's during diving just the same.

Look at that picture. I see nothing but a bunch of dressed up kids by sick parents, coaches etc..
Then don't look at it.
Cheer uniforms are functional in my opinion.
I cheered for a little bit, you do a toe touch in pants, I did once and ripped my pants.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Pretty much my point.

That is not ALL I see. I see a rhythmic, dance based form of athletics, something I am pretty fond of myself. And calling the parents sick for allowing athletics is a bit ... silly. But there is an undercurrent to cheer, the descendant of a para-sport that was basically the glorification of boys sports, that gives me slight pause.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Then don't look at it.
Cheer uniforms are functional in my opinion.
I cheered for a little bit, you do a toe touch in pants, I did once and ripped my pants.
Midi sweaters?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Midi sweaters?
You mean the cropped shirts they wear?
I haven't ever seen those in high schools besides bring it on and you do flips in the air and twist and turn an have something get in your way or prohibit movement.

I can't play soccer in pants or if my shorts are too baggy then they get caught and prohibit me from moving. I roll my shorts up to gt them out of the way.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM

I just googled high school cheerleaders and not one of the high school pictures did they have the halter tops, the college girls did but not high school.

Big deal anyways you see more at the pool..

Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
I see nothing but a bunch of dressed up kids by sick parents, coaches etc..
Wow. I can't say I've ever heard this before. Usually the complaints are the run-of-the-mill "they're showing too much skin". But you think the parents and coaches are sick? Interesting viewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting