Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 PM

27 posts, read 75,643 times

Advertisements

what odd things do your friends do parenting?

i have a friend from high school who lets her kids have energy drinks and sodas an hour before bed and continually wonder why they won't settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 PM

895 posts, read 4,250,337 times
My aunt feeds her 8 and 9 year old ice cream for breakfast. She wants them to get their dairy in early in the day

A friend of mine makes her kids stay up late so that they can sleep in the morning because it's more conducive to her lifestyle (never mind her kids asking to go to bed).

Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 AM

904 posts, read 2,874,715 times
My former SIL never told her kids "no". She said it would ruin their creativity. Her two were WILD! I cannot tell you how many family functions were ruined by a trip to the emergency room!
I have to say, 19 and 23 years later, they are both very creative. And, amazingly, alive.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,013,148 times
What is that expression? "G-d looks our for saints and fools"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
My former SIL never told her kids "no". She said it would ruin their creativity. Her two were WILD! I cannot tell you how many family functions were ruined by a trip to the emergency room!
I have to say, 19 and 23 years later, they are both very creative. And, amazingly, alive.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:26 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,126 times
We have friends that let their kid eat on demand and then get annoyed with her because she won't eat her dinner.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,557,508 times
I have a friend that wants her kids to express their creativity and has let them draw on almost every wall of her house and on appliances. She has one child that would only wear one outfit. She had to buy 5 of the same tank top and pants (in white) because her daughter refused to wear anything else. This outfit was worn for more than 5 months.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:35 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times
I have a friend who lets her kids say whatever they want to whomever they want. as in once, her 10yr old son saw a very obese lady, and he says to her "You are really really fat and gross, why dont you stop eating so much?"
also, to tell her, their own mother, that they hate her, that what she says is stupid, that they wish she would go away and so forth...
she says she lets them do this so they dont have "surpressed emotions and thoughts" uhhhh, okay, I think some of that stuff needs to be seriously surpressed!!!
Needless to say, when they are visiting, they are NOT allowed to say such rude, mean, uncalled for comments to ANYONE. I removed them all from a resturant and they went w/o lunch once because they thought they could say something to the waitress....it did NOT go over well, (although the waitress came to me and thanked me for making them apoligize and taking the out of there)
some people......

Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flsun129 View Post
what odd things do your friends do parenting?
Odd?

A neighbor of ours a while back...her daughter went through a phase where she refused to wear her underpants UNDER pants or skirts. She wanted them over the clothing. Saw her waiting for the school bus one day....interesting to say the least....Not sure what mom was thinking to allow it, but I have enough concerns taking care of my own children right now & can only imagine some of the odd things I probably allow

Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,710,775 times
I wouldn't call it "odd" but do have a friend that has trouble with follow-through when it comes to threats. She'll say "if you continue to do that, we'll have to leave," but they don't leave so they do not take her seriously.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 AM

904 posts, read 2,874,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I have a friend that wants her kids to express their creativity and has let them draw on almost every wall of her house and on appliances. She has one child that would only wear one outfit. She had to buy 5 of the same tank top and pants (in white) because her daughter refused to wear anything else. This outfit was worn for more than 5 months.
Okay, so I have to admit that when my daughter was in preschool she went through a phase of wanting to wear her bathing suit everywhere. I fought her for weeks and then finally let her wear a bathing suit to school with shoes. She did this for two weeks straight. Every day when I was walking her to class, totally embarrassed, the teachers would all laugh and say, " You're a good Mommy." The phase passed and now she is a normal teenager with a slew of clothes. Bottom line...didn't hurt her a bit and it's a wonderful story to tell now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting