Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

We just paid over $600 for dd's pictures. To have kept it under $300 we wouldn't have gotten much. The $600 package came with everything including reprint rights. Not that we'll need them as we got plenty of pictures including an entire proof set reprinted without the copyright mark.

Why did I choose to do this knowing that 10 years from now no one will care what I paid? Because it's dd's time to shine and she had a blast at the photoshoot and doesn't have to choose who gets what pictures. Was it extravagant? Yes but she'll only graduate from high school once and I am so relieved we've made it here. I was very worried about her a couple of years ago. So yeah, mom blew the budget. I know we won't care in just a few years but this is her time. The $200 more I spent made it more special.

I may or may not do the same for her sister. Dd#2 will, probably, ask for less. Something like a photoshoot isn't important to her. She'll want a decent picture and be done. Now, the outfit she wears to graduation will, likely, be another story. They'll both kill the budget just in different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 05:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I bet you don't have to spend $300 to do that.
Actually, $300 was on the low side of what I could have spent! Some of these photographers charge an exorbitant amount of money. I chose to go with the highest quality I could without having to take out a loan

Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
The school may have a list of photographers to help if all you want is a yearbook photo. The yearbook company and school may have strict guidelines on what you can and cannot submit for the yearbook.

As far as doing a photoshoot. Remember, after all the parties are over, the clothes are out of fashion and given to the Goodwill, all you have left are the photos. I for one, want them to be good. Around here in the Philadelphia area, people spend on average 1k-3k on senior photos.

To get an idea of want you want to offer your friend, get quotes from other photographers on your area.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I think ours started around 500 and also our school told us that the girls had to wear a dress under their gowns and they must wear navy blue school colors . But in all fairness the pictures came out so beautifully Im not disapointed at all . I think it varies from different parts of the county . I know my brother who lives in the pacific northwest paid way more than we did and he got less pictures . I think you have to price shop .

Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
If you missed the regular time I doubt if they can get into the year book. We had to have ours taken about a month before our senior year started, but that was back in the olden days when we only had a portrait and only one 8x10 in color.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
As far as doing a photoshoot. Remember, after all the parties are over, the clothes are out of fashion and given to the Goodwill, all you have left are the photos. I for one, want them to be good. Around here in the Philadelphia area, people spend on average 1k-3k on senior photos.
$1-$3,000 strikes me as insane. After the high school graduation is done, then there are college graduation pictures, wedding pictures... And, they all look dated eventually.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I think we spent in the neighborhood of $400 for DDs and $300 for DS. Which is pretty average for this area - I think we got the 8X10 plus 4 5X7s, and a bunch of wallets. I don't regret it - even now after DD has graduated college. We didnt' do any formal pics for college - never heard of that being done. Other than the company that snaps the photos as the walk across the stage to accept the diploma and then emails you every week for months afterward telling you its "your last chance" "your very last chance" "your last last chance....and we really mean it" " really...are you sure you don't want any for Christmas gifts?". I still have the framed wallets of the HS photos on my desk at work.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think we spent in the neighborhood of $400 for DDs and $300 for DS. Which is pretty average for this area - I think we got the 8X10 plus 4 5X7s, and a bunch of wallets. I don't regret it - even now after DD has graduated college. We didnt' do any formal pics for college - never heard of that being done. Other than the company that snaps the photos as the walk across the stage to accept the diploma and then emails you every week for months afterward telling you its "your last chance" "your very last chance" "your last last chance....and we really mean it" " really...are you sure you don't want any for Christmas gifts?". I still have the framed wallets of the HS photos on my desk at work.
LOL, we actually got some very nice pictures from eldest's graduation. They weren't formal studio shots, they were taken on the day of the ceremony on campus. But, they are individual pictures of just him. I do have high school graduation pictures out, one formal, and one casual pose per boy. Once I get college pictures I expect the high school ones will go into the closet.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You have the option of buying different packages through the school photographer. I always bought 1 8" X 10" for myself, and a few 3" X 5" pictures for the grandparents. The packages were in the vicinity of $120.00.
$120 would about cover the sitting fee around here.

Quote:
LOL, we actually got some very nice pictures from eldest's graduation. They weren't formal studio shots, they were taken on the day of the ceremony on campus. But, they are individual pictures of just him.
That's neat. I didn't see anything like that at her campus. But it was a cold and windy day and all of the ceremonies were held indoors. We just wanted to get out of Dodge once the ceremony was over since we all had a good drive ahead of us. We celebrated the evening before.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
$120 would about cover the sitting fee around here.
As I think back, we probably did have a separate sitting fee. It wasn't high enough for me to remember it I guess. It makes sense that that money would include whatever picture was going into the yearbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting