Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:14 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times

Advertisements

On occasion, I will give my 10 year old son a half a cup coffee, milk and a shot of honey. He really likes this although it isn't a regular thing. My daughter will order one of the fancy, overpriced coffees at Dunkin' Donuts for a special treat but I think she enjoys the taste of whipped cream more than the coffee. Both my kids have a sweet tooth. My husband, as a little boy, would have a cup of coffee with this grand dad in the morning---coffee, milk and sugar. To this day my hubby loves his coffee this way (minus the sugar and substitute a sweetner) while I like mine black. These early mornings with his grand dad and his coffee were a special thing.

I'm not a big fan of sodas at all and rarely have them in the house outside of a social event. My kids LOVE soda and if I had it around the house, that is all they would drink. When they go to parties, both of them will guzzle soda at a frenzied pace and it worries me a bit. We do have it on occasion and they will always order a soda when we go out for meals. I'm not forbidding it. We just don't have it at home nor do we have things like chips (which I will eat).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
IMO There are worse problems for kids to have. I started drinking coffee as a kid and think it has had many health benefits for me. Also, my son has had occasional (but severe) migraines since a young boy and we have found that a moderate amount of coffee/caffeine helps with the symptoms. Neither I (nor his doctor) want him to take migraine medications which have some serious side effects. We prefer coffee therapy.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:05 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It depends if you are talking about a cup of instant coffee or a triple shot from Starbucks, the quantity of caffeine varies considerably from about 25mg in the first up past 200 in the second. The amounts were in the links.
I am just wondering where in the link you saw chocolate milk has more caffeine than coffee? Looks to me like it says chocolate milk has 5mg per 8 oz while a "drip method" brewed coffee has 115mg per 5 oz. Am I misreading?

My kids LOVE chocolate milk, so I am curious. Perhaps that's the reason for the excessive energy

Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 PM

10 posts, read 11,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I drank tea since I was a little kid but didn't have coffee until I was an adult. It always smelled good, but I didn't like the taste. My friend who has a Cuban mother always had coffee when she was little.
This. I didn't have my first cup until I was 14, and I came from LA where we have Starbucks on every corner. I think I was the last one to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting