Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times

Advertisements

Have you thought of selling a lot of your stuff and downsizing to a condo or townhome where you won't have to worry about home maintenance and yardwork?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Sounds like they are old enough to know better or maybe had parents who cared enough to teach them good values and work ethic. Most kids today (under 18) have not had the benefit of learning these important lessons.

20yrsinBranson
Please post some examples of this. My vast experience with teens and young adults says otherwise.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Sounds like they are old enough to know better or maybe had parents who cared enough to teach them good values and work ethic. Most kids today (under 18) have not had the benefit of learning these important lessons.

20yrsinBranson
Most? I beg to differ.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Another thought, call your local high school and get a few names from them (stress that you want honest, willing hard workers who have their own transportation) and you're more than willing to pay for their help. If they live nearby, so much the better (ie, hopefully they can walk over or easily get a ride).

Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
I guarantee I have worked with more teenagers than you have ever met.

No, most kids today are the same as kids were 50 years ago, and 500 years ago. Some of them work, some don't, some of them are lazy, most aren't but what is a fact is the kids today as a group are under more pressure than ever before.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Another thought, call your local high school and get a few names from them (stress that you want honest, willing hard workers who have their own transportation) and you're more than willing to pay for their help. If they live nearby, so much the better (ie, hopefully they can walk over or easily get a ride).
That is illegal. A high school cannot give names of students to a stranger for jobs.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That is illegal. A high school cannot give names of students to a stranger for jobs.
Many high schools have kids that sign up for lists like this. It's not illegal if the kid/parent ok's their release.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Community Service is a requirement for HS graduation here. Perhaps there is a way for some kids to get volunteer hours and help the OP out. However, money doesn't seem to be the issue. The OP could easily hire a handyman to do the work, and that's what s/he should do.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have 4 teenagers in the house right now and I asked them, they all said HECK YES when do we start!!!!! Considering all they can make is about $8/hour at other jobs, they would be THRILLED with $25/hour. They would probably even take $20/hour if you baked cookies too . Do you live in Minnesota??
I mentioned this to my daughter and she said the very same thing. She recently graduated from college and has one full time and one part time job and would be extremely happy to work more hours (to help pay off her student loans, etc). She lives in the Twin Cities. Maybe she can arm wrestle your kids for the chance to work for the OP (if he lives in Minnesota)?

I am sure that there are many hardworking teens and young adults out there looking for work.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM

132 posts, read 315,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I mentioned this to my daughter and she said the very same thing. She recently graduated from college and has one full time and one part time job and would be extremely happy to work more hours (to help pay off her student loans, etc). She lives in the Twin Cities. Maybe she can arm wrestle your kids for the chance to work for the OP (if he lives in Minnesota)?

I am sure that there are many hardworking teens and young adults out there looking for work.
Sorry, I used to live in MN but not any more.

I thought I was doing them a favor offering to pay them over market for some jobs that are easier than retail or fast food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting