Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
I'm sure if you let your kids handle a grenade a couple of times there's a good chance they might not pull the pin. Does that mean it's a good idea to do?

The point is that small/young children (infants and toddlers) should never be in close proximity of large, powerful dogs. Sure most of the time nothing would probably happen, but why chance it? Did you happen to read the story I linked to Malamute? Many times people think that the children are safe from any danger because there are adults around. Thta's not necessarily the case though as it can be extremely difficult for even a sizable full grown man to stop an attacking dog.

I just don't get it when people claim to be so certain that their dog would never hurt anyone. It's an animal no one can ever be sure of that.
But you can say the same of ANY large breed, not just rottis and pits. You're right that dogs are dogs, and no dog should be unsupervised with a small child. And by 'unsupervised' I mean the dog might be in the same room with the child, but shouldn't be allowed within biting distance even if people are present.

In the story you linked to, the parents routinely allowed the child to pull himself up using the dog's fur. They also posted pictures of the child holding the dog's head (it looks like he might be tugging on the dog's ears.) Even the best mannered dog has TEETH...even the best mannered dog can one day do something predictable. So why tempt fate by allowing a toddler to pull himself using the dog for leverage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,864 times
Quote:
This is exactly the kind of ignorant sorry excuse for a parent that I am talking about. What kind of jackass puts a little baby on top of a 130 pound dog so that a cute picture can be taken? One that obviously doesn't give a damn about the baby.

You were right there? BFD! I gaurantee you that that dog is a lot quicker and stronger than you. Exactly how much time do you think it would take for a dog like that to sever a major artery of an infant that was lying on it by biting?
I am a good parent and you telling me I am not is insulting and mean and just plain stupid. Of course I care about my children, you don't know me, so don't judge me. I also know my dogs and as I said, when my dog picked his head up, I knew he wanted to move, so I picked up the baby. I know he would never hurt or bite my child, or anyone, or I would never have put the baby there. I would NEVER have a pet that I could not trust around my kids in the first place, and I also have taught my children to respect the animals and not to jump on them or pull on them or hurt them. That is what a responsible parent does. I didn't put the baby there for a photo op. My son was crying and fussy and my dog was always by his side when he did cry, so I put him down and he stopped. My husband was right on the couch next to the dog with the baby when I took the picture. My dog is calm and gentle because that is what I taught him to be. That is what a repsonsible dog owner does...trains their animals. I would never allow my children to jump all over their pets like that child in the video, but again, those people knew their dog and had trained him well so that he would not hurt the baby, sadly they didn't realize however the dog was not comfortable.

And thank you 2mares...one of my favorites and it is framed in my home as well. My dog obviously was not in distress or being harmed or scares in any way, quite the opposite as you can see he is fast asleep. He loves my kids and us. Danes are know as the "Gentle Giant".

Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
This child needs to be taught how to properly treat animals. The sad thing is that the little boy will grow bigger and get heavier. If he continues to jump on the dog, the dog may just one day have enough of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
But....dogs are replaceable.
Myabe to you they are, but not to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
And I do have pictures of my sleeping baby snuggled up with my dog (see below), but I didn't leave him there alone. I was right there, but my dog did not move. My son was fussy and nothing was calming him down, so my dog was snuggled up on the couch, so I laid my son right on him and he fell right to sleep. He was there for over 20 minutes until my dog picked his head up and then I knew he wanted to move, so I picked up the baby and let my dog stretch and move.

Attachment 105989
I'm sure your dane is a great pet just like mine are. Even tho you say you were right there, your dog could have stood up faster than you could get the baby.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM

395 posts, read 458,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
I know he would never hurt or bite my child, or anyone,
No, you don't. That's the point. Every owner of every dog that's bitten, mauled or killed someone said this very thing before the dog attacked the person.

I wasn't trying to offend you but it's just plain dumb for anyone to say that they are 100% certain that their pet dog would never hurt anyone. Unless you have the ability to predict the future you cannot possibly know this to be true.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,784 times
Thanks for the vid, I've trained several of breeds for obedience and family protection. Any dog can be dangerous if not handled properly. This dog has some good obedience.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,784 times
Quote:
The fact that there are parents out there that would even let a dog like a Rottwieler or Pit Bull anywhere near their young, small child even for a second is disturbing.

A quick google search will turn of dozens of cases of young children either mauled or killed by the family Pit Bull or Rottweiler. The moronic parents always seemed surprised that it happened too.

Like Forest said..........."stupid is as stupid does."
I know it's your opinion but any dog can be dangerous without some sort of obedience. Those are great breeds, they just misunderstood.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM

538 posts, read 1,012,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-SSiPP View Post
I know it's your opinion but any dog can be dangerous without some sort of obedience. Those are great breeds, they just misunderstood.
Exactly. It doesn't matter what breed it is, a dog is going to get tired of a brat jumping all over him/her.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
My orignal posting and the video were to no way target one breed. I agree with the others, no dog is immune to reaction when provoked. We know a child that was attacked by their Jack Daniels Terrior, a very small dog.
I dont know how anyone could take a chance with a child. Even a dog you believe would never do such a thing.But I think we all agree, the parents in the video are over the top, jaw dropping fools.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It may have been forwarded to CPS, though I don't know that.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Quote:
No, you don't. That's the point. Every owner of every dog that's bitten, mauled or killed someone said this very thing before the dog attacked the person.

I wasn't trying to offend you but it's just plain dumb for anyone to say that they are 100% certain that their pet dog would never hurt anyone. Unless you have the ability to predict the future you cannot possibly know this to be true.
EXACTLY!! I had a super-duper gentle Siberian Husky, but I always practiced good dog-ownership when she was around my grandchildren, me being a responsible adult and all.

Flamingomo - db77 post(s) should be read over and over by you until it sinks in.

Last edited by geebabe; 01-16-2013 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting