Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What kind of papers?

If it is scientific the authors are not expected to proof papers, there is a copy staff to do that stuff. I had a paper make it through peer review, the copy process, and still found a typo once it was published. It happens, and really it isn't a big deal.

I have never understood the grammar/spelling police (and I do not mean you nana). Should things be spelled correctly? Sure but this notion that typos are a symptom of a lack of intelligence or a sign of laziness just isn't true. Spelling is a skill, no better or worse than any other, yet people who are naturally skilled at grammar and spelling feel free to belittle typos. Seems odd to me, but then I do not go about making fun of people's math skills.
It's not necessarily that I want to police spelling and grammar unless it is really egregious. I hate people using text speak even in these forums or people whose posts are almost impossible to read because of the unwillingness to use standard English. I don't remember the url for the website I quoted in a post on another forum, so I can't show you what I was talking about. Spell check doesn't always catch everything, but it would have certainly caught the fact that two words did not have a space between them or that another word was mispelled.

OTOH, I found this article from the UK about how misspellings can cause commercial websites to lose money.

BBC News - Spelling mistakes 'cost millions' in lost online sales

Quote:
Mr Duncombe says that it is possible to identify the specific impact of a spelling mistake on sales.

He says he measured the revenue per visitor to the tightsplease.co.uk website and found that the revenue was twice as high after an error was corrected.
Quote:
When recruiting school and university leavers, Mr Duncombe says too many applications have contained spelling mistakes or poor grammar.

"Some people even used text speak in their cover letter," he says.

Even among those who appeared to be able to spell, he says that a written test, without access to a computer spellchecker, revealed further problems with spelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It's not necessarily that I want to police spelling and grammar unless it is really egregious. I hate people using text speak even in these forums or people whose posts are almost impossible to read because of the unwillingness to use standard English. I don't remember the url for the website I quoted in a post on another forum, so I can't show you what I was talking about. Spell check doesn't always catch everything, but it would have certainly caught the fact that two words did not have a space between them or that another word was mispelled.

OTOH, I found this article from the UK about how misspellings can cause commercial websites to lose money.

BBC News - Spelling mistakes 'cost millions' in lost online sales
First, I apologize, I didn't mean to imply YOU were the one doing the policing. It was just that your post made me think of other forums and other posters and thus inspired a rant.

Sorry.

Weirdly, my spell check is showing the word "mispelled" as being misspelled above. I try not to trust those things to much. Once I had a student turn in a lab report about desiccation using chemicals that had changed every instance of "dessication" to "defecation". Apparently, she had trusted the spell check, something I am too guilty of as well.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My daughter is homeschooled, so I have to correct her errors. Sometimes it hurts her feelings, sometimes it doesn't. It depends more on her mood than how I approach the topic.

One nice thing, she's 10 now and after years of me correcting her spelling, she can now spell just about every word we come across. I think it's cute, when my husband is online he's always asking her how to spell different words.
I've found the same, though I've always pointed errors out (gently), because I want them to know how to correctly spell, so they won't be like this teacher here:....14 spelling mistakes in child's school report | The Sun |News

Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
First, I apologize, I didn't mean to imply YOU were the one doing the policing. It was just that your post made me think of other forums and other posters and thus inspired a rant.

Sorry.

Weirdly, my spell check is showing the word "mispelled" as being misspelled above. I try not to trust those things to much. Once I had a student turn in a lab report about desiccation using chemicals that had changed every instance of "dessication" to "defecation". Apparently, she had trusted the spell check, something I am too guilty of as well.
100 Most Often <strike>Mispelled</strike> Misspelled Words in English

Of course, spell check is imperfect... it quite often changes words as does the autocorrect on the iPhone or android (annoying gadgets).

Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
100 Most Often <strike>Mispelled</strike> Misspelled Words in English

Of course, spell check is imperfect... it quite often changes words as does the autocorrect on the iPhone or android (annoying gadgets).
I can never spell maintenance, I always want to spell it maintainence.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 AM

794 posts, read 1,409,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Do the classroom teachers not correct spelling anymore? It used to drive me crazy when my kids brought home work that was graded on content only, and no comments were made on spelling or grammatical errors. That made me the bad guy by insisting they do a rewrite while they insisted their teachers didn't care. Of course, as they got older, their teachers did care. That was right about when they began doing their work on the computer and could spell check themselves.

I didn't get involved in their sports performances. I left that up to the coaches. If I had played football or baseball, maybe I would have felt more comfortable offering a critique.
It changes depending on their skill level. A 5-6 year old is encouraged to break down a word to write it, as proctice in listening to phonemes, they can also be a bit sensitive so getting them to write anything at all is great. They tend to get stalled if you insist on perfect spelling. Then as they get older and are used to writing you start insusting on correct spelling.

You wouldn't criticise a four year old for colouring over the lines, would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting