Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

1) George is captured by a poacher (the man with yellow hat)
2) almost drowns
3) Smokes cigar/drinks wine
4) arrested and put in prison
5) escapes
6) ends up at the zoo

My son loves Curious G. . .but we will definitely not be picking any more up of the original series.

I'll stick with the non-poaching version of the story (as updated for the film)
The Man with the Big Yellow Hat "basically steals George," the film's director, Matthew O'Callaghan, told USA Today in talking about the original book and the revisions in his film. So the 21st-century Man with the Big Yellow Hat is no poacher, but a friendly museum collector (sort of a kiddie Indiana Jones). And George, instead of being kidnapped, stows away on the ship of his own free will. No pipe smoking, either.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...speak-slavery-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 11:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
We watched Walt Disney's Peter Pan last night

1) Children disobeyed their parents and ran off with some oddly-sexed guy named Peter Pan
2) Captain Hook smoked two cigars at once
3) Several children smoked a peace pipe
4) Native Americans were called "red man"
5) Wendy had to walk the plank
6) There were numerous references to throat slitting
7) Tinkerbell flew into a jealous rage. More than once
8) Some of the mermaids were topless
9) Tinkerbell wears very little and is, in my husband's words, "dead sexy".

I'd advise you not to watch it even though the Blue-ray quality of the animation is absolutely wonderful. (I was about 4 the first time I saw it. Loved it then. Love it now.)

Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM

606 posts, read 944,308 times
The one that got me when I was reading it was the unabridged version of Doctor Doolittle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The original edition of the book included language and plot elements that are considered racist by present-day standards, though probably not intended as such by the writer. Black African characters are clearly intended by the writer to be sympathetic, but their depiction reflects the paternalistic mindset of colonialism still prevailing in Britain at the time of writing, not to mention the racism in Lofting's adopted United States. Editions starting in the 1960s removed some terms for black people which had come to be regarded as offensive. (Exactly when these revisions appeared is difficult to determine, as the changes are not explicitly noted.)

Later editions changed the plot as well, and noted these changes in a new preface for the book. The original edition had a plot line where Bumpo, the African prince, wishes he were white, so that he can marry the Sleeping Beauty. The Doctor, who is imprisoned by the prince's father, grants his wish in exchange for escape by bleaching him. In the original text, this process is accompanied by a strong smell of "burning brown paper". In American editions, there seems to have been a half-hearted attempt at weakening this by changing the bleaching agent to white covering cream, before the poor prince Bumpo's ambitions are either changed via hypnosis or he wishes to be a lion. Ultimately, he is not excised entirely.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:00 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times
lol

How about Pink Elephants on Parade from Dumbo? An underage elephant gets a bit "woozy", shall we say.

And most of the old cartoons contain violence of some sort or another. As a kid, I always wondered how the characters bounced back so quickly. Not only did they bounce back, they were as good as new. No casts, no slings, no band-aids. 'Twas magic!

Ahhh, the good ole days.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
I am relieved that my children can differentiate between fiction and reality.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Rock a-bye baby on the tree top
when the wind blows the cradle will rock
when the bough breaks the cradle will fall
and down will come baby, cradle and all.

What sick, twisted, demented psychotic monster would place a baby in a cradle and perch it in a tree?
This is the stuff of - not nightmares, but night terrors. It's the kind of thing Jason would do for giggles.

And yet, countless millions of parents have sung this lullabye to their children every night throughout their childhood.

Oddly, I've never heard of any of them turning to crime or being traumatized as a result of repeated exposure to the lyrics.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am relieved that my children can differentiate between fiction and reality.

Children can not differentiate between Fiction or reality until the brain has achieved a specific age/growth. This normally happens between 8-10.

this is why tooth faries, santa claus, and belief in God comes so easy to them. . .and why they can't wait to see Thomas the Train at the Day out with Thomas.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Children can not differentiate between Fiction or reality until the brain has achieved a specific age/growth. This normally happens between 8-10.
Rubbish.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

this is why tooth faries, santa claus, and belief in God comes so easy to them. . .and why they can't wait to see Thomas the Train at the Day out with Thomas.
Young Children Learn to Distinguish Between Fact and Fiction, Research at University of Texas at Austin Finds | News

Quote:
Children are able to distinguish between reality and fantasy between the ages of 3 and 5, according to new research at The University of Texas at Austin.
Magical Thinking: Do preschoolers know the difference between reality and fantasy? | Parenting - Yahoo! Shine

Quote:
It turns out that, in some ways, early psychologists were right: Little children do indeed have a hard time drawing the distinction between what is real and what isn't, and they sometimes get confused and think that what occurs in their heads is happening in the outside world. In fact, the younger they are, the more they can be duped into believing that anything they see is real. For example, in one study, researchers showed that two-year-olds grab a paper towel to wipe up an egg that was broken in a scene on TV, and three and four-year-olds are not quite clear as to whether Big Bird is a true, yellow, oversized talking fowl, or a costumed actor. All of this suggests that a small child's experience of make-believe sea captains, or monsters under the bed, can be just as intense as real world happenings.
But contrary to earlier psychological thought, toddlers and preschoolers don't make these errors because they're delusional or confused about the rules of the physical world - they 're actually quite sophisticated scientists with theories and understandings starting in the earliest months. Babies, for example, know simple physics and have a grasp on principles like object permanence, the idea that objects still exist when you can't see them (which Piaget thought took much longer to develop).
This is why it is important to talk to our children about reality and fantasy. They are still learning, but they certainly know that some things are not real.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Rock a-bye baby on the tree top
when the wind blows the cradle will rock
when the bough breaks the cradle will fall
and down will come baby, cradle and all.

What sick, twisted, demented psychotic monster would place a baby in a cradle and perch it in a tree?
This is the stuff of - not nightmares, but night terrors. It's the kind of thing Jason would do for giggles.

And yet, countless millions of parents have sung this lullabye to their children every night throughout their childhood.

Oddly, I've never heard of any of them turning to crime or being traumatized as a result of repeated exposure to the lyrics.
Ring a round the rosy is about the plague. Nursery rhymes can be gruesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting