Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM

170 posts, read 323,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
The shower thread reminded me to ask....at what age did your kids need deodorant? My 8 year old has needed it since he was 6-7. Is that abnormal? Seems so young to me.
I stopped in HS because I started getting waxed. I'm not sure if this causes it but my underarms became really dark after using deo. Either that or shaving was the culprit. Thankfully, I had laser done. With no hair, there's basically no scent there anymore either. Also using alternatives like lemon or alcohol seemed to lighten the nasty dark patches.

The school nurse should have some samples on hand. I remember when our fifth grade teacher demonstrated, she brought in one for everyone. That was nice of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Exactly....my 8 and 10 year olds (girls) both use it and have been for at least a year. It was weird....even though they are very different in age, they both started to stink at the same time.

I was worried about them using a chemical deodorant this young though so they use the Tom's of Maine deodorant. They like the lavender one and it works great for them. The hard part is reminding them to use it!! What is it with kids and not realizing that they stink? The same goes for showers...."but Mom I just showered two days ago!!"
I noticed in the thread that kids are needing deodorant much earlier than, say, 30 years ago and the post I have quoted has addressed an important issue, antiperspirants which contain aluminum which can become an issue later in life. My husband uses Tom's of Maine and I use a variety of other brands that work except under the worst heat and physically active times. Gosh, my older son probably didn't need deodorant until he was a teen (we have all showered daily forever) and our adult son with Down syndrome who never grew underarm hair has never needed deodorant and doesn't sweat very much under the arms. I have noticed that people's hygiene is on the downslide these days making going out shopping, etc. unpleasant at times.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have noticed that people's hygiene is on the downslide these days making going out shopping, etc. unpleasant at times.
Being in a room full of middle school boys makes this painfully clear!

If your child smells, please tell them, and help them address the issue! As a teacher, it's painful to watch the stinky kid in class. The same goes for brushing their teeth and wearing sneakers past their "expiration" date.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
On the bra thing- she's in 4th now and puberty is a ways off for her (she's very small for her age, about 6 inches shorter than the other kids). So I doubt she'll be developing until 12 or 13 or beyond. But I will let her start wearing one next school year, when we go clothes shopping we will add those to the list. The sports bra type.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM

170 posts, read 323,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
On the bra thing- she's in 4th now and puberty is a ways off for her (she's very small for her age, about 6 inches shorter than the other kids). So I doubt she'll be developing until 12 or 13 or beyond. But I will let her start wearing one next school year, when we go clothes shopping we will add those to the list. The sports bra type.
You could also just have her wear another shirt underneath. I didn't get a bra until I was 11. Changing in the locker room was embarrassing. Even flat-chested girls had bought the flattest sizes.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM

655 posts, read 1,129,020 times
Quote:
LOL, that's what I told my daughter, when she smells she can wear it. She also wants a training bra. I said 5th grade for that one.

Some girls in her class have been wearing both since they met in K. Not really sure why a K would need a training bra.

I too was worried about chemicals, so thanks for the Tom's suggestion.

No problem...they also make an unscented version if you don't want the lavender.

Regarding the bra thing...my 10 1/2 year old has been wearing a cami or a half cami (chest only) under t-shirts for the last year. She doesn't bother if she is wearing a sweater or something thicker. She definitely does not "need" a bra but I think it is a good idea for modesty sake at this age because all the boys start looking in that direction. Especially now since they all just had the puberty talk!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 PM

556 posts, read 798,357 times
I should have worded differently.

Isn't having armpit funk a hormonal thing? I thought that was part of "puberty". Is needing deodorant a sign of "maturing"?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I should have worded differently.

Isn't having armpit funk a hormonal thing? I thought that was part of "puberty". Is needing deodorant a sign of "maturing"?
What I noticed with my daughter and from talking to some other moms is that kids (or at least girls) seem to go through an early stage where they reek of BO, near the onset of breast development but before they start their periods. After a couple of years it seems to lessen and not be so bad. I want to say that my daughter was 9 or 10 when she started needing deodorant, but now she sometimes forgets to wear it and you can't tell.

So yes, the funky smell is part of maturing.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
My 10 year old wears a B cup already. You can definitely tell when they get to the stage where they need something under their tshirts. But...if your daughter's friends are wearing bras already, she may want one just for the sake of fitting in, or just to try on to know what they're like. In our experience, the sports bra kind are much more noticeable under clothes than the regular ones. If you have Ross stores in your area, they have the girls bras for $2 or $3. My daughter always wore undershirts before she switched to bras so I was already used to the idea of her needing undergarments for the top half too.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I have 3 sons, so underarm funk is nothing new...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting