Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,727,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Did you ban Tom & Jerry and The Road Runner?
No--we never banned anything. We did talk about the shows (like Hannah Montana) and how snotty the kids sounded and how unrealistic they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,352,957 times
Do y'all make them wear helmets while watching television, too?

In the 80s/90s, the only children's show I can remember parents actively banning from the home was Ren & Stimpy, and for good reason, I'm sure. But even though there were shows my mom hated (like Barney) she would still let my younger siblings watch because they enjoyed it. She realized it was just a phase that wouldn't last. One year it was Barney, and then a few years later it would be raunchy videos on MTV. Harmful television is a hallmark of growing up; atleast it was in those times.

I do feel sorry for today's children, though. The good ol' days of kids' shows are gone. Do Saturday morning cartoons even still come on?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,495,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Do y'all make them wear helmets while watching television, too?

In the 80s/90s, the only children's show I can remember parents actively banning from the home was Ren & Stimpy, and for good reason, I'm sure. But even though there were shows my mom hated (like Barney) she would still let my younger siblings watch because they enjoyed it. She realized it was just a phase that wouldn't last. One year it was Barney, and then a few years later it would be raunchy videos on MTV. Harmful television is a hallmark of growing up; atleast it was in those times.

I do feel sorry for today's children, though. The good ol' days of kids' shows are gone. Do Saturday morning cartoons even still come on?
Yes, there are still Saturday morning cartoons... Shows like " My Little Pony" , " Strawberry Shortcake", the problem is, by the time Saturday comes around, most kids are sick of the cartoons, it isn't anything special tomthem, as it was to most of us growing up. They can watch them on Cartoon Channel, HUB , dvd's, their ipads or ipods, the computer,etc...

We have never allowed our kids to watch most of the Nikolodean Shows; Spongebob,etc..
They do love to watch " Good Luck Charlie" or reruns of " Wizards of Waverly Place" on Disney and I have set our dvr to record shows like " Full House" and " Brady Bunch", which they really like.

I am surprised at the number of kids allowed to watch shows like " Dance Moms" or Honey Boo Boo", what a bunch of junk... The way the dance teacher screams at the kids & the mom's argue withnher & eachother..

Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
My kids mostly want to get online with their friends and hunt each other down and kill each other, or blast away at a horde of zombies. I do not think thy have any interest in cartoons for years. Except one daughter (21) who adores my pretty pony. I was so glad when the outgrew Barney an I could blow up all the stupid little purple dinosaur dolls. I really despised barney, but there is nothing wrong with it other than it was mindless drivel. Worse yet - teletubbies. Still we allowed them, and wiggles too. They do not promote bad character like Spongbob does.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,940,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They do not promote bad character like Spongbob does.
Just a comment on Spongebob. It is interesting that parents see it as promoting bad character because it actually doesn't do that

Who says Sponge Bob Square Pants is bad for kids | In the Digital Age, Yalda T. Uhls, MA, MBA

Life Lessons from Sponge Bob

Never Give Up (he continually tries over and over even though he fails at getting his boating license many times)
Friendships are important (and the diversity of his friends is pretty amazing)
There are no small jobs (he's a fry cook and prides himself on being on time and doing the best job he can do)
Work Hard (Sponge Bob is a very hard worker)
Be a Good Neighbor (even when your neighbor can't stand you - and sometimes your attempts to be helpful go awry)
Enjoy the Simple Things in Life (blowing bubbles, camping in boxes, etc.)
Be Helpful (and when you try and it doesn't work, make amends)
Find your Bliss and be happy (Sponge Bob is unfailingly cheerful in the face of whatever life throws at him).

Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Did you ban Tom & Jerry and The Road Runner?
Not in our house.

Classic Hanna Barbera/Chuck Jones animation. (And, oddly enough, no one ever tried to drop an anvil on a little buddy's head. )

Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,495,720 times
I don't have kids, but I have nieces, that I care very much about. I asked my wife, whom did childcare for years, if my 5 year old niece should be watching Austin and Alley at her age, she said no too young for the dynamics of dating and male/female interaction.

What do you think?

When I was a kid, in the 70's, at least the Brady Bunch had moral lessons, not stealing, school fights are wrong etc. Nowadays we have teens playing GTA and BS like that.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I don't have kids, but I have nieces, that I care very much about. I asked my wife, whom did childcare for years, if my 5 year old niece should be watching Austin and Alley at her age, she said no too young for the dynamics of dating and male/female interaction.

What do you think?

Yes, she is too young for Austin & Ally. Plus, it's just a poorly written show.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Caillou
"I'm just a kid who's four, each day I whine some more, please someone smack me, I'm Caillou..."

Old 03-01-2013, 04:04 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,817,653 times
I only ban stuff where the content is too mature. Mine are 7 and 9, and so Victorious (which revolved a lot around dating and kissing and made a lot of racy jokes) was banned, and cartoons like Regular Show and any of the Teen Nick stuff. Other than that they can watch what they want, but we will talk about it when I see a character behaving inappropriately. My emphasis is on explaining the difference between fantasy and reality, and how they make characters say stuff on TV you can't say in real life to make it entertaining. They seem to get it, they don't immitate characters.

That said they love Full House and a lot of the older shows.

Spongebob is pure silly fun. I really don't think anyone should take that show so seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting