Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Pretty sure the OP said the kids get a 20 minute recess before lunch.
Yes in post #8, I think

Quote:
Wow...so I am not the only one going through it. The hands on the lips thing is crazy!!! Yes they have a 20 minute recess prior to lunch, but they even send them outside in the rain, which I have a problem with. The school itself is very nice and colorful with a nice playground outside and as I said, I do like it other than these crazy rules.
I am interested that they send the kids outside in the rain. Of course, it might be a nice soft warm rain. I can't imagine sending them outside in a real downpour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 05:35 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You'd lose. Lunch periods are set by state law in most cases so if the school documents the students are receiving the minimum amount it won't matter whether your kid is a slow eater or not. Same with uniforms.

Sorry, that's the way education law has been, and is continuing to be, interpreted.
I would take you up on a bet on that but there is no way for me to do so since I don't have children in such a school. Schools and local judges have interpreted many things in their own way, only to have them struck down at the federal level.

The way I would handle this is as I stated before, I would have a meeting with the principal and most likely the Superintendent to express my concerns. Explain in detail what I find unacceptable and let them know that if my child is suspended or expelled from school for those reasons, we will be in court.

Twenty minutes for lunch is unacceptable and would never hold up in court at a federal level. If challenged, uniforms would not hold up if you could prove that there were children enrolled in the school who were at the poverty level and buying uniforms were causing a financial burden on the parents and the schools were not providing them free of cost as they do with school lunches for those who meet the income thresholds. Now with that information, show me a public school that does not fall into that category. We are guaranteed a "free public" education and you can bet if we challenged some of the stupid rules we would win at a federal level.

The school uniform thing is put into place by these silly administrators that think everything in life should be fair and equal for everyone. Their mindset is that if everyone has to wear the same uniform, "underprivileged" children won't feel inadequate because they don't have the expensive brand name clothes some other children have. Well guess what, it still appears in some other way and a good example is when the children are dropped off at school they are still getting out of the Mercedes. What's next?......are the schools going to start passing a rule that we can only drop our children off driving a 1985 dodge with 4 different sized, different brand, bald tires and smoke rolling out of the tailpipes?

Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I would take you up on a bet on that but there is no way for me to do so since I don't have children in such a school. Schools and local judges have interpreted many things in their own way, only to have them struck down at the federal level.

The way I would handle this is as I stated before, I would have a meeting with the principal and most likely the Superintendent to express my concerns. Explain in detail what I find unacceptable and let them know that if my child is suspended or expelled from school for those reasons, we will be in court.

Twenty minutes for lunch is unacceptable and would never hold up in court at a federal level. If challenged, uniforms would not hold up if you could prove that there were children enrolled in the school who were at the poverty level and buying uniforms were causing a financial burden on the parents and the schools were not providing them free of cost as they do with school lunches for those who meet the income thresholds. Now with that information, show me a public school that does not fall into that category. We are guaranteed a "free public" education and you can bet if we challenged some of the stupid rules we would win at a federal level.

The school uniform thing is put into place by these silly administrators that think everything in life should be fair and equal for everyone. Their mindset is that if everyone has to wear the same uniform, "underprivileged" children won't feel inadequate because they don't have the expensive brand name clothes some other children have. Well guess what, it still appears in some other way and a good example is when the children are dropped off at school they are still getting out of the Mercedes. What's next?......are the schools going to start passing a rule that we can only drop our children off driving a 1985 dodge with 4 different sized, different brand, bald tires and smoke rolling out of the tailpipes?
So you really don't know what you're talking about. Gotcha.

Lunch periods as short as 15 minutes have been upheld in the various Court systems. Uniforms for FARM children have been upheld. In fact, the parents of the lower economic level kids are the ones who advocate the hardest for uniforms.

You have no clue why uniform polices (which I oppose by the way) have been implemented. They have very little to do with about "inadequacy" (that does play a part) but have mostly been implemented because of studies like this:
Research Study Favors School Uniforms Education Families.com

Lunch:
Lunch School

These are the relevant Court cases for uniforms:
Google Scholar This one takes you to Candy v. Bossier Parish School System

HICKS EX REL. HICKS v. HALIFAX COUNTY BD. EDUC.*-*December 15, 1999.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 03-02-2013 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: case law correction

Old 03-02-2013, 06:10 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
It sounds like they're preparing these kids well on how to work at Walmart. Is there any way they can change schools?

Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,704 times
Davidv please remember that while you may work at a public school it is the parents tax dollars that fund it and our children that go there. The last thing we need is to be lectured to by a condescending teacher on his or her high high horse. We're not going to be at your beckon call to see that your every whim is met. If you don't like being a teacher then go do something else.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Davidv please remember that while you may work at a public school it is the parents tax dollars that fund it and our children that go there. The last thing we need is to be lectured to by a condescending teacher on his or her high high horse. We're not going to be at your beckon call to see that your every whim is met. If you don't like being a teacher then go do something else.
I love being a teacher, but I don't like people who believe that because they are taxpayers they have some sort of power over me.

I know that you are a taxpayer, but guess what? So am I. I guess that makes us even.

I don't know what whims you refer to, but what I really want is to do my job, without interference, in the manner that I was trained to do (I have eight years of post-secondary education) while making decisions honed from 16 years of experience. I don't go into anybody's workplace and tell them how to do his or her job, I don't expect anyone to come into my workplace to tell me how to do my job.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Oh jeez, here we go again.

You are one taxpayer, and any pretension to represent anything more than ONE taxpayer is a fabrication. So lets pretend you are a taxpayer for my district. My compensation (salary and benefits) divided by number of households in my state (my school is funded at the state level) means you would have contributed slightly less than $0.02 towards my income. Two cents, how ironic. So how about you take your two cents back, and your nonsense with it.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:54 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
We are guaranteed a "free public" education and you can bet if we challenged some of the stupid rules we would win at a federal level.
There is no federal law guaranteeing a free public education. Absolutely none whatsoever.
All such rights to a free public education exist solely at the state level.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
There is no federal law guaranteeing a free public education. Absolutely none whatsoever.
Actually a "free and appropriate" education is guaranteed at the Federal level. For Special Ed.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:35 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually a "free and appropriate" education is guaranteed at the Federal level. For Special Ed.
In Colorado, a person is guaranteed a free public education, and there are some who balk at paying any sort of fee. However, the state DOE and the courts have stated that students can be required to pay fees, but a free alternative must be available.

For example: Many math classes have workbooks with assignments and review items. These workbooks were made by the teachers and sold through the school for a minimal fee (less than $4) to cover the costs of the materials and copying. If a parent complains about the $4, the teacher will check out a workbook to the student, and the student may use it for the semester (but may not write in it).

Some parents get upset that there is a graduation fee and a cap and gown fee. What they don't realize is that it costs the school district a lot of money to put on a graduation ceremony. My school holds graduation in the school's stadium, but must rent about 1,000 chairs, rent a sound system, construct a stage, get caps and gowns for students, etc. These fees have been upheld, because the law only guarantees a free education, not participation in extra events. In other words, a student can graduate from the school without participating in a graduation ceremony, so the fees are legal. We do provide some help to those that are truly needy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting