Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,762,588 times

Advertisements

OK I'm doing some weird research in to diapers versus under pant type things for youth incontinence. I'm talking larger versions of typically baby diapers versus something like UnderJams or GoodNites.

I'm not talking about AB here (if you don't know don't ask) but instead for real tweens and young teens.

Would any kid prefer to wear something that was like a standard diaper versus something made to be more like underwear?

And if you have a child that is sometime incontinent can you give me an estimate on how much a month's supply of either would cost?

The company I'm checking out has a discount club that is extremely expensive in my mind. But they say if you spend more than $250 per month on these items then it's a good deal. TWO HUNDRED FIFTY? That seems like a lot to me but I don't even know what current baby needs cost.

Maybe someone with a baby can chime in on that too. How much is a month's supply of diapers?

Anyway, I smell a rat so I'm not mentioning names. I'm just wondering how fishy this is to sell bigger boy diapers and have a membership club. The other thing that makes this seem creepy is that girls are not mentioned on the site, only boys. Their "professional model" is a ten year old boy and he shows the product including plastic pants.

Do boys need plastic pants to go with their diapers? And why is a professional model needed?

Sorry. I know this is whacky but I'm serious about getting to the bottom of this. Feedback please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 04:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
I have a friend who has a teen daughter who has to wear diapers because she was born with spina bifida. Her incontinence supplies are paid for by their medical insurance. She does not need plastic pants, just diapers, wipes, and bags to dispose of the diapers. She has to change it every two hours during the day, so you could probably estimate a monthly cost from that.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,757,425 times
You might want to check out adult incontinence under pants- like Depends. Some of the smaller mens' sizes range from 100 pounds on up. They might fit a teen and I suspect they'd be a heck of a lot cheaper than $ 250 a month and you wouldn't need plastic over pants. I just did a quick internet check and they're about $ 21-24 per 20 . No idea how many you might need a day. But since they're so readily available at supermarkets and pharmacies you could probably check real quick over the phone..

Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times
There was recently a conversation about diapers for older children/teens on a list I am on for local parents of children with special needs. They were saying that their diapers have been covered by CAP/Medicaid, but that Medicaid recently switched the brand that they cover, and the new brand is not as good and leaks. I suppose this might be why you would need plastic pants over them, though they didn't mention using plastic pants, they just complained that the new diapers were not good. They said that Medicaid was covering up to $200 per month in diapers or 192 diapers, but that it didn't cover all of the diapers they needed. They were talking about how to get financial help for covering the remaining cost of the diapers through a local organization that helps with items for special needs kids. My daughter is potty trained and does not qualify for CAP, so this is not an issue for me personally.

Another option might be cloth diapers. There are a few companies that will make these custom in larger sizes. It's a bigger investment up-front, but depending on how long you expect your kid to need diapers, it would probably end up cheaper in the long-run.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:15 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
There was recently a conversation about diapers for older children/teens on a list I am on for local parents of children with special needs. They were saying that their diapers have been covered by CAP/Medicaid, but that Medicaid recently switched the brand that they cover, and the new brand is not as good and leaks. I suppose this might be why you would need plastic pants over them, though they didn't mention using plastic pants, they just complained that the new diapers were not good. They said that Medicaid was covering up to $200 per month in diapers or 192 diapers, but that it didn't cover all of the diapers they needed. They were talking about how to get financial help for covering the remaining cost of the diapers through a local organization that helps with items for special needs kids. My daughter is potty trained and does not qualify for CAP, so this is not an issue for me personally.

Another option might be cloth diapers. There are a few companies that will make these custom in larger sizes. It's a bigger investment up-front, but depending on how long you expect your kid to need diapers, it would probably end up cheaper in the long-run.
Thank you. Real world examples are what I was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting