Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Sorry but it's not the same, and I'm shocked you would say that. What do you call a person who dates or is attracted to a person of the same sex? I always thought they were gay? Please enlighten me if I'm wrong. My co-worker considers himself to be "gay". My cousin considers himself "gay".

On the other hand to call someone the "N" word is a deragatory statement with long standing "negative" history associated with it.
I agree with you. If they were offended by being called Gay, why do gay and lesbians have an organization called: The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)

Also, I assume that any intelligent person either straight or gay would be able to tell the difference between someone using the word GAY as an insult and a 12 year old girl telling her 12 year old friend that her socks look GAY with the skirt she's wearing. Please, give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I have never heard of someone who is gay, being offended at being called gay.

TO ME, its offensive to take the word and use it as an insult like school kids do. It seems to imply if your calling something gay and mean that its horrible, that being gay is horrible to. Thats why I don't allow my daughter to say it.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 AM

Are you home sick from school today?

Old 04-23-2009, 02:02 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Also, I assume that any intelligent person either straight or gay would be able to tell the difference between someone using the word GAY as an insult and a 12 year old girl telling her 12 year old friend that her socks look GAY with the skirt she's wearing.
How is that not using the word as an insult?

Old 04-23-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
How is that not using the word as an insult?
Like, oh my god, those shoes are totally bi@chin, like, oh my god, and your pants are groovy to the max, but like that shirt is so gay.

Unfortunately, typical talk when I was in 5th and 6th grade, thank God that phase passed quickly. But it really didn't mean much except that your shirt was ugly or didn't match the rest of your outfit. Nothing to really get upset over. I swear I never cried over it when someone called my shirt, sock or whatever gay.

That is until the PC crowd took over the world

Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Does a 12-year old know what the word "sexual" means? Then why do you think she'd have any problem with hearing discussion about "bisexual" or 'homosexual"?

If she asks, do you have a good answer ready? Do you want her to think it is dirty and immoral and disgusting, or do you want her to think that if she ever feels tsexually conflicted herself, it is OK to talk about it to people she trusts. Like you.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Wow! It's difficult which is why I limit my daughters' television habits. I'll let her watch Hannah Montana and most of the Disney shows. I allow Animal Planet - unmonitored which she really likes. Then there are certain shows we'll watch together over the weekend/evening like Home Makeover or some movies on the Family Channel. I used to also get this cable channel called Boomerang which showed all the old cartoons that I watched growing up (i.e. Flinstones; Popeye; Jetsons, etc.). I can't get it anymore, I'll have to call the cable company and find out why

It's sad that television has changed and is forcing negative culture on children. When I was growing up, my Mother didn't have to monitor our television because it was more wholesome..........aw those days
I would rather have a conversation with my child about these differences before they come to me with questions, before kindergaten. They will hear a lot that they don't come to you with and you don't want them to grow up with warped ideas.

Now Disney on the other hand, has a way of growing up VERY poor role models, Britney Spears, her little sister, Lindsey Lohan, and now Miley Cyrus. I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again, I am very proud of my 7 yr old daughter for making the decision on her own not to just go with the flow of what everyone esle likes. She made her own choice and thought Hannah Montana was avery annoying and boring. But she had never seen a show so I had her sit through one and later, she asked me if she was the only girl who hated her so I told her to go online and see. Bad move on my part. Yahoo! Image Search Results for miley cyrus racy These aren't even the ones my daughter saw and some of those were worse than these.

The girl is nasty and a very poor role model. The girl is 15 now, in 5 years when our daughters will still be looking up to her, imagine the impression that she will be having on girls just entering junior high. Yikes! I'm glad my daughter is an animal freak and lookes up to Bindi Irwin. The biggest complaint you find on her is the fact she has a wide vocaulary and "...sound like she is 40..."

Old 04-23-2009, 05:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Maybe I am just getting old & boring....

I have noticed that there is a new show on MTV that is on at 10pm that is about a girl who is bisexual & doesn't know if she wants a boyfriend or a girlfriend. The overall content of things I heard in the show really surprised me; very overtly sexual with the usual reality show people doing what they do best. I guess I was just surprised b/c I know this station is geared toward young people & any more it seems their programming is pushing the envelope more & more.

During my son's nap the other afternoon, I was flipping through stations & this show was on at 3:00pm!

So, any age group could be watching this show. It seemed so mature to be on at such a time period. I think there is a time & place for everything & that this station overstepped it boundaries.

Wondering how parents feel about the content of tv shows & how they handle it? Would you want your 12 year old home from school watching this? Is so, why? If not, why not?
well, although I'd find it difficult to get beyond the "ewww!" factor, I'd put more emphasis on something even more serious than that aspect of it-- what all of this "encouraging experimentation" is doing is it's causing unnecessary confusion to kids...

first, kids are being encouraged to view every normal feeling/emotion/etc. as "something sexual" when it is not intended to be-- everything from admiring someone's accomplishments to thinking they're good-looking to appreciating something someone does is pushed at young kids as "reason to act-out sexually;"

second, kids are being encouraged to misinterpret all of those things and more as being their "orientation."

so what we have is a younger generation who is very mixed up, & don't know who/what they are-- because they're being pushed to see everything on a sexual level.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,336 times
@the OP: IMO, MTV has always been a little risky and I think parents should be monitoring what kids watch anyways. Growing up I wasn't even allowed to watch MTV most of the time, and these days its so much worse than it was when I was growing up!

VH1 isn't nearly so bad and it actually still seems to be about the music. I was always allowed to watch that channel (I miss pop-up videos!).

Old 04-23-2009, 09:50 PM

275 posts, read 707,811 times
I just find it amazing how most say that "back on my day" that there were no offensive television shows!

Actually, when Sanford and Son first aired, it was HIGHLY controversial and many parents refused to allow their children to watch it. Most feared it spread racism, etc... Same thing with the Honeymooners when it first started. Many found it encouraged domestic violence and abuse in the home.

Doesn't matter if it is 1950 or 20150, there will always be TV shows that parents don't agree with or wish to allow their children to watch.

For example: My niece watches very, very violent and scary horror movies (The type that would turn MY stomach and give ME nightmares!). She isn't bothered by them at all and my brother and sister-in- law allow her to watch what she is comfortable with seeing. Why? She knows that they are not real. She realizes that not everything you see on TV is real life, and you don't replicate what you see on a TV show. Did I mention that she is 7? Her and her 5 year old sister were both raised that way, just as my siblings and I were. Is this bad parenting? Well, she is not going about talking about morbid things or death. She is actually quite mature and realistic... she clearly knows the difference between Make-Believe and Real Life.

My cousin, on the other hand, found out very graphically how babies were born by watching some show on NICKELODEON! Some show called Drake and Josh? Had a lady giving birth on an elevator. He then proceeded to tell everyone at school about where babies come from and such. He is 10 years old.

It is all about how we as parents handle the situations. How we field the questions and explain the scenarios. I agree that more adult programming should be aired at a later time, but not cut out all together. If you don't feel your child should be observing or watching a particular show, switch the channel... monitor what they are viewing.

I believe in teaching my children tolerance, but I also need to be a responsible parent in doing so. There is a time and place for everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting