Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,360,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Delaying all food too long is going to cause allergies. Early exposure to antigens is good for kids, it doesn't mean that little ones need an 8 course meal, but as soon as they show interest in what everyone else is eating, they should get at least a taste.

That's what my daughter (who is pregnant) says she is going to do. If the baby is sitting on her lap at the dinner table, and expresses interest in any food on her plate (like a hand in her mashed potatoes), she'll let him/her try a bit of it.

I have a photo of her at nine months at Thanksgiving, with a hand in my pumpkin pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,240,296 times
Call me cynical...I almost always suspect a first time poster who is making statements like this of doing a research paper...But, I'll bite...here goes.

My babies were on rice cereal, bananas at about 2 1/2 - 4mths. I nursed my 4 sons, all of whom were good nursing babies and the length of nursing time varied from 10 mths -2 years. Funny story about the 2 year old....When he yelled out " I want to nurse" in the middle of church one Sunday...I figgered enough...lol

The one child that I didn't nurse, my first child...simply because I wasn't educated about nursing...She was on baby cereal at about 2 months also. Now I wouldn't call mixing baby cereal w/ formula or breast milk necessarily solids.

I wasn't spoon feeding that early, just supplementing for their night feedings.

None of my adult children are even chunky.

I'm old school....When they were old enough to be chewing their fists while I was making dinner I believed they were hungry for something other than liquids.

My little guys got to suck on a pork chop bone, or a chicken leg that I'd picked clean...or eat some mashed potatoes and gravy w/ the rest of us.

As they got a bit older, I used my blender to make their meals, most often they started w/ yogart, oatmeal, cottage cheese, pureed spinach. Veggies were introduced one at a time over a period of time. Meats that could be blended were introduced the same way.

I tried to have a square meal for them, blended from what I made for all of us. I'm a good southern Cali. cook...and I love to feed my family. I believe it has come home to roost since everyone of my adult kids loves to cook, are healthy and proactive about their diets... no picky eaters at my home.

I was a great and loving Mom...and I simply did what came natural when feeding my children. My doctors always supported me. My kids were very healthy and happy. Now...somewhere between babyhood and teen years a child does a 180....but that is a whole nother thread....lol

I think some people would be better off following their instincts and their parents advice at times. Look to the most experienced parent you know....follow fads w/ a bit of caution.

Last edited by JanND; 03-31-2013 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,423,984 times
Yep, there are stories all over the map. My own kids were breastfed to the best of my ability in both cases. I don't recall exactly, but they weren't exceptional in any way. My older daughter had a lot of trouble breastfeeding so we supplemented with formula, while my younger breastfed very competently and was able to do so for 14 months even with me back at work.

Let's not flame or berate parents who are cautious, thoughtful, caring, and careful in the way they feed their babies. The ones who need educating are those who buy blindly into whatever is "in fashion" at the time or who receive their parents' guidance as revealed wisdom. It's not. Read up, talk with your doctor or medical professional, but MOST of all listen to your baby. As infants they are supposed to be seeking nourishment in liquid form multiple times per day around the clock. Yes, that's incredibly draining on a breastfeeding mom but it's nature at work. Thankfully we have formula and breast pumps to make it more convenient and workable in today's world. There's absolutely no shame in that.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,257,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Call me cynical...I almost always suspect a first time poster who is making statements like this of doing a research paper...But, I'll bite...here goes.

My babies were on rice cereal, bananas at about 2 1/2 - 4mths. I nursed my 4 sons, all of whom were good nursing babies and the length of nursing time varied from 10 mths -2 years. Funny story about the 2 year old....When he yelled out " I want to nurse" in the middle of church one Sunday...I figgered enough...lol

The one child that I didn't nurse, my first child...simply because I wasn't educated about nursing...She was on baby cereal at about 2 months also. Now I wouldn't call mixing baby cereal w/ formula or breast milk necessarily solids.

I wasn't spoon feeding that early, just supplementing for their night feedings.

None of my adult children are even chunky.

I'm old school....When they were old enough to be chewing their fists while I was making dinner I believed they were hungry for something other than liquids.

My little guys got to suck on a pork chop bone, or a chicken leg that I'd picked clean...or eat some mashed potatoes and gravy w/ the rest of us.

As they got a bit older, I used my blender to make their meals, most often they started w/ yogart, oatmeal, cottage cheese, pureed spinach. Veggies were introduced one at a time over a period of time. Meats that could be blended were introduced the same way.

I tried to have a square meal for them, blended from what I made for all of us. I'm a good southern Cali. cook...and I love to feed my family. I believe it has come home to roost since everyone of my adult kids loves to cook, are healthy and proactive about their diets... no picky eaters at my home.

I was a great and loving Mom...and I simply did what came natural when feeding my children. My doctors always supported me. My kids were very healthy and happy. Now...somewhere between babyhood and teen years a child does a 180....but that is a whole nother thread....lol

I think some people would be better off following their instincts and their parents advice at times. Look to the most experienced parent you know....follow fads w/ a bit of caution.
Your instincts and parents' wisdom can't look inside your baby's digestive system to see if it has developed enough to cope properly with solids. Most babies don't develop enough until around 6 months, thats simply biological fact. Some babies are ready earlier but definitely not before 4 months.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Your instincts and parents' wisdom can't look inside your baby's digestive system to see if it has developed enough to cope properly with solids. Most babies don't develop enough until around 6 months, thats simply biological fact. Some babies are ready earlier but definitely not before 4 months.
Well I guess I just got lucky then according to you. All 5 of my Adult children are fine. And, if you'll re-read my post, pureed is not solids. And, I am simply sharing my experience..Not trying to tell others what or how to raise theirs. A Pediatrician would be my suggestion for a new parent with any questions.
Your advice is sound....but you can never know really can you. You introduce simple easy to digest things like baby cereals first. Gradually introduce other type foods as I said, my doctors supported me. We didn't have internet back when I was raising children, I was a guilt free parent.
And, I'd love to hear about your history as a parent?? Care to share your experiences?

Last edited by JanND; 03-31-2013 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well I guess I just got lucky then according to you. All 5 of my Adult children are fine. And, if you'll re-read my post, pureed is not solids. And, I am simply sharing my experience..Not trying to tell others what or how to raise theirs. A Pediatrician would be my suggestion for a new parent with any questions.
Your advice is sound....but you can never know really can you. You introduce simple easy to digest things like baby cereals first. Gradually introduce other type foods as I said, my doctors supported me. We didn't have internet back when I was raising children, I was a guilt free parent.
And, I'd love to hear about your history as a parent?? Care to share your experiences?
I used the term 'solids' to refer to anything other than breastmilk or formula so pureed food is solids. And just because the likelihood of problems increase if a child is fed solids too early it doesn't mean that every child will have problems, and also those problems may not appear until much later in life and also those problems can occur with children who weren't fed solids early (my daughter has several allergies - strong family history of allergies unfortunately for her)
Of course you should be guilt-free - you did what you thought was best according to the knowledge that you had at the time. New parents nowadays are lucky as we have more information available.

For my daughter I waited for the signs of readiness, by 5 months old she was sitting unsupported, had lost the tongue thrust reflex and had developed her pincer grasp and could pick things up and take them to her mouth so I waited a couple weeks longer to be on the safe side and let her feed herself (if she was not developmentally ready, as neurological development follows gut development, then she would have been unable to feed herself so that seemed the best way to me to know that she was ready). She started off with fruit and vegetables cut into fist sized chunks and after 6 months I introduced toast, porridge (made very thick so she could eat it with her fingers) and meat. She was eating pretty much the same meals as me by about 7/8 months.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 AM

So, what you did was introduce your child to finger foods and skipped spoon feeding? At 5 months. Whatever works. What matters is that you trusted your instincts, you knew your child's capabilities and you went with it. Good job.

I am long past that "new Parent" competition. I didn't follow fads, I followed good sound parental and pediatrician advice, as well as my own instincts and knowledge of my child. Like I said, I raised 5...So, I've had a lot of different experiences as each child has different needs. You learn as you go in many cases with children.

Your comment about the lack of the internet tickles me. My generation helped invent computers....There was life before the internet...I didn't have the internet, but we did have books...gasp. And, like perhaps a few others I've lived long enough to see some of those same authors retract what they advised initially. LOL

My opinion is that good parenting involves common sense, dedication and lots of energy.

I think parents, any parents need to follow their own instincts and gather as much useful information as they feel they need. Some need more advice than others. Differences....That's what makes the world go round.

You sound like a good Mom...Everything will be fine. And when you are my age, you'll wish for this time with your baby again....relish it

Last edited by JanND; 03-31-2013 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 AM

Thanks, I will relish this time

Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,577,445 times
I certainly hope new parents deliberating the early introduction of solids speak with the health care provider, and seek out reputable online resources rather than reading some of the gross misinformation posted here.

Anecdotal tales of "my kids were fine" do not take into account the fact that just because your children did not suffer any untoward effects from your practices, others did, you just weren't aware of it.

There is a wealth of information out there from reputable sources, please take anecdotal advice in this particular area with a great deal of caution.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
That's what my daughter (who is pregnant) says she is going to do. If the baby is sitting on her lap at the dinner table, and expresses interest in any food on her plate (like a hand in her mashed potatoes), she'll let him/her try a bit of it.

I have a photo of her at nine months at Thanksgiving, with a hand in my pumpkin pie.
Yes, as soon as a baby is curious and trying to get himself a sample, I think it's good to let them have a taste, but that doesn't mean engorge themselves with meat and potatoes. It's all about common sense. The baby knows when he's ready to try big people food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting