Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:28 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times

Advertisements

I'd like to ask a very sincere question, perhaps out of ignorance: Is it a cultural thing to want to find other AA moms and not just find other moms in general, be they white, yellow, purple or green? Is the AA culture so different that there is just not enough in common with moms of other races to develop friendships? Would it be ok for me to ask "looking for caucasian dads to share parenting, social adventures, love for travel, dining out, movies....etc. or just hooking up at a Starbucks to complain about the world!" I'm just trying to innocently figure this out for a world trying hard to forget there are different colors of skin. Just askin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 04:02 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I think a mother is a mother. Children are children. no family raises their family exactly as another does, even if they all live in the same neighborhood, they are all white, all middle class, all drive this car.....

None will be exactly alike. I have friends of every race.

Its what YOU are looking for, not what we think, IMHO.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Alcholics Anonymous Mom? Is that an AA Mom?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:27 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Alcholics Anonymous Mom? Is that an AA Mom?
I think the OP means African American. Truthfully, my first thought was Alcoholics Anonymous. I had to read the post several times before I figured it out.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:20 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
I was thinking Alcoholics Anonymous too!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:37 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
What happened to your mom, Carolina Guy? Can't you just hang around with her?

Old 10-28-2007, 11:25 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I'd like to ask a very sincere question, perhaps out of ignorance: Is it a cultural thing to want to find other AA moms and not just find other moms in general, be they white, yellow, purple or green? Is the AA culture so different that there is just not enough in common with moms of other races to develop friendships? Would it be ok for me to ask "looking for caucasian dads to share parenting, social adventures, love for travel, dining out, movies....etc. or just hooking up at a Starbucks to complain about the world!" I'm just trying to innocently figure this out for a world trying hard to forget there are different colors of skin. Just askin...
It really depends on the person. My sister in law is white and her best friend is black. Women, regardless of color, can have many things in common. Some people may be really into their culture and not as open to being friends with others. If you are, you can find women of other races that are too.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:14 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Maybe she lives in an area where there are not many black families and she wants her child to have a play group where s/he is not the only black child? Like, she wants her kid to know that there are other black kids too. Just a guess.

Or, maybe she wants to interact with people who she perceives she will have more in common with, and perhaps she thinks that race would be a good way to identify these people. I tend to like associating with other moms who parent the way I do because I feel that mainstream moms often can't relate to things I'm dealing with or the way I chose to do things. That's why I attend special interest parenting groups to find other moms like me. I can't get on board with "a mother is a mother" when it comes to making playgroups and socialization surrounding your kids. I find that I have very little in common with many other mothers.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:13 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Maybe she lives in an area where there are not many black families and she wants her child to have a play group where s/he is not the only black child? Like, she wants her kid to know that there are other black kids too. Just a guess.

Or, maybe she wants to interact with people who she perceives she will have more in common with, and perhaps she thinks that race would be a good way to identify these people. I tend to like associating with other moms who parent the way I do because I feel that mainstream moms often can't relate to things I'm dealing with or the way I chose to do things. That's why I attend special interest parenting groups to find other moms like me. I can't get on board with "a mother is a mother" when it comes to making playgroups and socialization surrounding your kids. I find that I have very little in common with many other mothers.
Exactly! I wouldn't hang out with LLL moms if I had no interest in BFing. I personally enjoy hanging out with the AP set because I can relate to them better, whereas I don't have a lot in common with 'mainstream' moms either.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 57,746 times
I don't think it's strange to want to find other Black moms. There isn't much a white friend can tell you when you need advice on what to tell your child when she comes home crying because someone has called her the "n" word. We certainly experience this world differently depending on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. It's normal to want to find someone who can relate. And just because someone wants to find other Black moms doesn't mean they ONLY want that type of interaction. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting