Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 PM

19 posts, read 20,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
As someone who plans these sort of things all the time I can tell you that no matter what day/time you pick there is always someone who can't make it. The OP says there are only 2 parents who work during that time. If I had a day/time that worked for everyone except 2 people that is the one I would choose.

We were recently had a fundraiser at our school. We planned it for Friday afternoon. The plan was also to make the fundraiser available to the lower school students who are in aftercare. We sent a flyer home to the aftercare parents to let them know about the fundraiser which would require their children to have money.

Don't you know that we got a note from one of the lower school parents that we should have had it on a different day because there are a handful of parents who don't work on Fridays and thus their kids are not able to participate. Honestly, the school has 2500 students (PK-12). No matter what day we picked there will be somebody who likes our fundraiser and wants to participate but can't. We picked Friday because if there are games/shows on Friday they are usually at night so more students are free on Friday afternoon. Plus Friday is a good day for the teachers/staff.

While we would love to have a day/time that works for everyone it just isn't possible. As soon as you involve more than about 3 people you are bound to have multiple conflicts. That's just the way life works.

Completely understand nothing will work for everyone my whole point was put both a weekend day and a week day out there for everyone to choose from majority rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM

19 posts, read 20,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^^^ Absolutely correct. There will always be someone who has a problem. Even in our mostly-working-mothers Girl Scout troop, one of the moms worked in an office during normal business hours, the same as most of us, but she also waitressed at a diner on weekends. We did what we could to make sure her kid was included when she couldn't be there or get her daughter to the activities.

You can't accommodate EVERYONE every time.
I know my whole point when offering dates to choose from why not have one weekend day and one week day and see what majority. I spoke with several sahm moms who would have preferred weekend so they could leave their other children at home with their dads

Old 04-27-2013, 06:04 AM

492 posts, read 638,399 times
From my involvement with girlscouts, some one who has passed training and done all the paperwork to be a leader has to be there. So the days offered were days the leaders could make. Maybe the leaders could not do a weekend date.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:08 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I think the main reason school events are scheduled during school hours is because the school is open during those hours, and those are the teacher's working hours. Why would any other hours be preferred by the school.
I imagine having to give up your time off as a teacher for evening events is/would be just as hard as a parent taking time from work.
Just take some time for your kids events.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele powell View Post
I know my whole point when offering dates to choose from why not have one weekend day and one week day and see what majority. I spoke with several sahm moms who would have preferred weekend so they could leave their other children at home with their dads

Will you accept the point that ultimately the time is offered is the time when the leader is available. Maybe she wasn't available for a weekend. The leader doesn't strictly operate from a point of when things are convenient for others...but when she is actually able to do them. In reading your posts I don't think you are willing to accept them.

If how she operates doesn't work for others in the troop....then they can start their own troops next year, or stop doing scouts.

I was a leader then stopped. My daughter found a new trip. The leader, who was a working mom, held activities at times I'm sure you would have found inconvenient. Ultimately though it was her choice, as no one else desired to be the leader.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele powell View Post
Completely understand nothing will work for everyone my whole point was put both a weekend day and a week day out there for everyone to choose from majority rules
I assume the non-working moms are the scout leaders. As leaders, their time constraints are the most important to take into account. Consider this, those families have chosen to do without an entire salary to be able to spend more time together as a family. That is a huge sacrifice so they obviously feel that family time is very valuable.

You can always volunteer to lead a troop next year, then you can decide to have the events when they fit in your schedule.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
I have not read all of the posts.

As a leader, I have had activities that are on normal working days, but the girls were off from school AND things on the weekends. I have chosen some activities on the week days because the places are not open on the weekend (we went to the Denver Mint), or there is such a huge crowd on the weekends the girls wouldn't have had a good time. I've had girls go without their mom/dad. The girl to adult ratio for that age is 1 adult per 10 girls. Unless your leader is forcing each girl to have a parent, if I couldn't go, I'd send my daughter without me. If you don't trust your leader enough for this, you should find a different girl scout troop.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 PM

30 posts, read 48,146 times
Okay - so I am a troop leader for both of my daughters' Girl Scout Troops & I also work part time while my kids are at school. Here's the deal - the Troop Leader is someone who volunteers her time, energy, and even money to run and maintain a troop. I have to take CPR certification and various training classes (that I pay for out of pocket because I don't want to use the girls' troop money for these things). Very few parents volunteer to be involved in the troop and expect Girl Scouts to be a free activity for their kids. When the troop leaders are spending so much time and energy running the troop, they are going to, obviously, choose dates and times that work for them.

With that being said, one of the parents in my daughter's troop is a single, working dad. Even though he works full-time and raises 2 kids by himself, he has volunteered to chaperone and has even taken training classes through Girl Scouts. I try to work around his schedule so that his daughter can attend functions. If functions are during the day, I take his daughter with me. There are very few events where there needs to be a parent there for every child. In fact, the point of Girl Scouts is to allow girls to do things without their parents. There shouldn't be any problem with your daughter going with another parent to this event - espcially since it's their cookie money reward. If you're the one not comfortable letting your daughter go without you, then you just need to acknowlegde that's the reason she cannot go.

If the troop leaders continue to schedule things during times your daughter cannot attend and that require you be there, you can either talk to the leaders about trying to accomodate your sechedule a little more, or take all the trainings and become a leader yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
View detailed profiles of: