Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. My kid would have been named West Paterson. Nah, don't think so.
Mine would have been Galera, which looks ok until you realize it means galley as in a big, fat ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Hmm. My kid would have been named West Paterson. Nah, don't think so.
Our daughter would have been Fayetteville (maybe Faye?) or Carolina. Not awful names, but we didn't even think of that.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A baby book I read suggested naming your kid after their place of conception.
My kids would be named " I do not know" I am not certain" "Dodge Ram 1500" "Most likely Orange" and "Santa Ana, or Joshua Tree, or Kings Canyon, or Silverado, or Newport Beach" I do not think any of those names would work out too well. I suppose the manes could be shortened to Dunno, Nosure, Ram (for a girl??), Proborange, and "Sajtkcsnb" Still they would be stupid names.

If baby name books are suggesting this process, it helps explain why we have so many stupid names out there these days.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
I went to school with twin girls named Vicky and Icky. The family pronounced Icky as Eye-kee--didn't keep people from saying ICK-y, after all it rhymed with Vicky. Also, my mother told me about a little boy who was named Seth Poole (AND he was a junior). Say it quickly !
An I thought our second twin had an overachiever complex. I can just imagine what Icky woudl have to do to feel valid.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:37 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A baby book I read suggested naming your kid after their place of conception.
If this is really a trend, I'm going to have to insist that we take a vacation here when we are ready: bacons, Delaware - Google Maps

Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
A FB friend of mine just posted a picture from her childhood of the siblings; Jimmi, Wendi, Cindi, Randi, and Terri.

Gag-worthy.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
A FB friend of mine just posted a picture from her childhood of the siblings; Jimmi, Wendi, Cindi, Randi, and Terri.

Gag-worthy.
I bet they made the dots over each 'i' into a little heart, too.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Declan is pretty common Irish name these days. We have two in our family. Sort of like Liam.

Names I like for boys are Graham, Oliver, Holden and Hayes. For girls, Harper and Charlotte. For both, Reese and Reed.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I remember Hillary Clinton saying that daughter Chelsea was named after her and President Clinton's favorite song by Joni Mitchell, "Chelsea Morning."

I like that name.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
<snip>
My favourite names (bold = top 10 name in my country):

Amélie
Julia
Eline
Mila
Malou / Milou
Esmée

Milan
Lucas
Sem

I guess I'm not very original when it comes to boys names English names I like are Catherine, Madeline or Madison (shortened to Maddie, I think that's so cute), Michael, William, Jackson, Ethan and Seth.
I knew a Malou. I'd never ever heard the name before meeting her, nor have I heard of it after.

Quote:
Really? I have a cousin Janine. I'll have to tell her she's black. (We are Dutch and English).

I like the name and I'm surprised it isn't used more often.
With a similar sound, I had a childhood friend named Deneen. Her parents were into that "all kids names start with the same letter" and she had all brothers, all with D names (I think she had five or six brothers). I was never a big fan of that whole thing, personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
<snip>

Names are really strange. I'm sure a lot of us hated our names growing up. However, as we grow and change that name/person becomes someone else and a lot of times it does become something we really cherish.
When you stop and think about what other names your parents could have saddled you with you are mostly pleased with whatcha got.
I "could have been"
Harriet Jean
Rebecca Jean
Elizabeth Ruth Agnes

I'm glad I am none of the above.
I'm probably not the norm, but I have actually grown to like my name less and less the older I get. When I was young I didn't care much one way or the other. As I have grown, I realize more and more how it doesn't fit me and is just boring and often misspelled. I wish my mother had named me something else.

I was "almost" Lisa Katherine, also almost Julieanne (my mother's name is Julie). I would have preferred either of those! Another "almost" for me though was Pauline. My brother's name is Paul. I am SO glad she didn't go there!

Quote:
I stumbled upon this article, and it's true, one doesn't hear most of these names much any more:

Anita
Louise
Georgia
Cybele (I'd honestly never heard this one)
Joyce
Roseanne
Hattie
Dorothy
Madeline (increasing in popularity again)
Willow (ditto)
Pamel
Ann/e
Leona
Janet

14 Vintage Girls Names: Unique Names You Don’t Hear Anymore.
One of my friends named her daughter Avi Cybele but that's the only time I'd heard it. Hattie was fairly common in my family history but usually as a nickname for Harriet and then there were Hetties, nicknames for Hester.

Quote:

Gag-worthy.
I agree. My Aunt had six kids in her first marriage (before marrying my uncle) and they are Stormi, Rusty, Wendy, Randi, Misty and Dusty. Just, yuck, sorry.

I was talking with my 21 year old son about how he lucked out, being born a boy. I was young when I had him and I still have a diary I was keeping while pregnant, with a list of possible baby names. All of the girl names were just over the top frilly, I guess what you'd expect from a girl of 19 or 20 who had no input and who'd only ever named dolls before (and kittens), but I am so glad he was born a boy. If he'd been a girl he (well, she) could have been:

Victoria Josephine
Arabella Evangeline
Priscilla Genevieve
Vivian Ashley
Penelope Violet
Anastasia Clementine
Felicity Antoinette

Nothing wrong with the names in and of themselves but put together some of them read like a list of bodice ripper heroines. I seemed to be aiming for max syllables as well.

I like the name Rhys for a boy but I don't know if it is popular here in the US or not (yet) or ever will be. Whatever, at this point in life I am out of the baby naming business for good. I will only be naming cats and dogs in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting