Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM

136 posts, read 237,817 times

Advertisements

My son is moving out of state in a month. He does not have his own car and is on our car insurance. My thought was to cancel his coverage since he will not be living with us. He will be three hours away and hopefully will come back to visit now and then but should that mean I keep him on our policy or take him off? He does not pay for his portion currently. My feeling is take him off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
What reasoning is behind NOT taking him off? So he can drive your car when he comes home to visit? The car would still be insured in that case, it's no different than letting a friend borrow it. You can check with your agent, but I would likely drop him off the policy, especially given the rates for young male drivers.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 AM

When he moves I will ask my agent about coverage for someone not living with us. It's one thing to get a ticket and another to get in an accident when driving someone else's car.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
When he moves I will ask my agent about coverage for someone not living with us.
Yes, talk to the agent. He should be able to clearly explain the ramifications and risks and costs.

How old is the son?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:14 AM

20. It's not about the cost of keeping him on...which is very affordable...it's him driving other people's car's when living out of state. He recently got his first speeding ticket driving his friend's car out of state.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
I just went and did a quick bit of reading and basically it varies by insurance companies. If you are that worried about him driving someone car and getting in an accident, then I'd keep him on. Because unless he's making sure that any car his is borrowing is insured, he might not be.

Hope that makes sense. Best thing is to talk to your agent.

Is he going off to school or just moving away and getting a job? If it's the later then maybe it's time he start paying for his own.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I just went and did a quick bit of reading and basically it varies by insurance companies. If you are that worried about him driving someone car and getting in an accident, then I'd keep him on. Because unless he's making sure that any car his is borrowing is insured, he might not be.

Hope that makes sense. Best thing is to talk to your agent.

Is he going off to school or just moving away and getting a job? If it's the later then maybe it's time he start paying for his own.
Not for college. To me...if someone allows him to drive their car it is their responsibility if something should happen and they do not have the proper coverage, not mine. My parent's didn't insure me when I left home. His roommate can add him to her policy if she wants to be safe, right?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Well, if he's just setting out on his own, then yes, in my opinion, he should be responsible for himself if anything should happen and he has to pick up the tab. If he needs to drive a car that bad, maybe he should get his own. If he wants to drive his roommates car that much and she adds him, I would hope HE would pay for that.

If you feel that YOU would have to pick up the tab if worst case scenario and you wouldn't just let him deal with it, then it might be in your best interest to keep him on your insurance until he can get his own car and insurance.

Will he be relying on his roommates car or does he have other means of getting around?

If keeping him on your insurance is affordable, just make him pay for his portion and tell him anything he does to increase your rates, he pays for. Our son has been doing that since he was 16.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Let him pay his own insurance if he wants it. I moved onto a college campus and my parents insurance company would not allow them to take me off the policy. I gave them (the company) a big **** you and cancelled my driver's license so they couldn't legally deny my parents that right. They were simply charging WAY too much money, and I wasn't going to do that to my parents.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
He's 20... make him pay for it. If he doesn't, then remove him from it. He's a big boy now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting