Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times

Advertisements

Last weekend, my husband and I, and another couple, attended an arena football game. We had intentionally bought tickets for good seats, so we could have a good view of what was going on, as we'd never been to an indoor football game before.

I was sitting on an aisle seat in the 4th row up from the field. There were about 6 kids, who all seemed to be with one man 2 rows behind us, who kept running up and down the stands right next to where we were sitting. They were constantly blocking our view of the game, and the distraction made it hard for me to keep my attention on the game instead of how angry I was becoming at those kids. A few times these kids even fell on the stairs while running, so of course my attention was diverted to them, causing me to miss some big plays. (I do have enough compassion to be concerned about them getting hurt!)

I wanted to say something to the man, but my husband disagreed. Obviously the man was well aware of what his group of kids was doing, and he was aware that they were annoying us (I made it clear with my looks back at him). Another man sitting in the end seat across from me was also quite annoyed with them, and he was giving me "understanding glances." He even stuck his foot out in the aisle and winked, an obvious joke that perhaps he should simply trip them next time they came running down (just joking, don't flame him).

Eventually we ended up moving to another place that had 4 seats together. But we shouldn't have had to move! I saw no ushers or staff to notify; I did walk around for a while trying to find one.

Considering the dad clearly didn't care that his kids were getting on our nerves, would you have said something to him? Or maybe to the kids? (I'll admit that I got SOOOO frustrated at one point I got out of my seat and sat down with my legs spread out to block the aisle, an obvious hint that I was royally pizzed off. The kids simply jumped over my legs! GRRRRR!! I know, I know, that was a juvenile display of my anger, and I was embarassed later that I did that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:41 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
"Excuse me kids, you are blocking my view and distracting me from the game. Can you please play somewhere else or sit back down?"

Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
You should have said something to the dad. I don't like confrontation, but I don't think I could sit through a whole game like that without saying something.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
I probably would have said something politely (as possible). The man may not have realized how irritated you were...some parents think public places should all be treated as playgrounds. There is nothing wrong with saying something, as long as you start out very politely .

Old 05-20-2013, 12:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
(I'll admit that I got SOOOO frustrated at one point I got out of my seat and sat down with my legs spread out to block the aisle,
You sat down on the floor of the bleachers? Where everybody spills their beer and their nacho sauce and tosses their half-eaten pizza slices and peanut shells?

Whoa. And yuck.

Why you would stage a one-person sit-in but not talk to the father is beyond my comprehension. Did you have a couple of beers in you before you did that?

Next time just say something to the dad. "Excuse me but are those kids your's? One of them is going to get hurt if they don't settle down." The worst he can do is tell you to buzz off which, I'd think, would be better than sitting on the floor of a football stadium. Ewwww.....

Old 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
[quote=DewDropInn;29650089]
Quote:
You sat down on the floor of the bleachers? Where everybody spills their beer and their nacho sauce and tosses their half-eaten pizza slices and peanut shells?
Whoa. And yuck.
I guess I'm not that prissy. I sit on the floor or the ground in numerous situations. Who knows what's been down there? I certainly didn't see any pizza or peanut shells, but I don't think those would kill me. Nothing a washing machine can't take care of. But thank you for your concern for the health of my jean's back side.

Quote:
Why you would stage a one-person sit-in but not talk to the father is beyond my comprehension. Did you have a couple of beers in you before you did that?
Not a beer lover, but I'd had a couple dozen shots of Jack Daniels by then. (KIDDING!!!) I didn't talk to the father because my husband didn't think direct conversation with him was a good idea. So I chose an "indirect" hint, which I already said that in retrospect I should not have done. But thank you for your concern regarding my sobriety.

Quote:
Next time just say something to the dad. "Excuse me but are those kids your's? One of them is going to get hurt if they don't settle down." The worst he can do is tell you to buzz off which, I'd think, would be better than sitting on the floor of a football stadium. Ewwww.....
He was quite aware that they could get hurt. I said in my OP that some of them had tripped and fallen, one of them to the point of crying. He didn't bother to even come check on her. So talking to him probably wouldn't have helped. I wish hub had volunteered to talk with him, but I think since we were there with another couple he didn't want to make a scene. It was his idea for all of us to simply move to different seats.

Really, I think my dilemma came down to two issues:
1) Whether or not it's appropriate to say to another parent that their kids are out of control (regardless of how polite I had been, that is basically what I would be saying).
2) Whether or not to talk with the dad when my husband had clearly said that was not a good idea. I'm not of the "obey your husband" mindset, but I do respect his opinion, and wanted to respect his preference in this situation.

While all of this was going on, I was actually thinking about threads here, where people have asked about disciplining other people's kids, or getting involved when a parent is being overboard in discipline (i.e. parent is screaming and hitting the child), so I just wondered what people thought in general about getting involved with the other parent when the LACK of discipline of the child(ren) is directly affecting ME? Consensus seems to be that it would have been appropriate to get involved in this instance.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Did you go up to the ticket booth and ask for a staff member? Or a food stand? I've never once been to a sporting event (been to A TON) that didn't have numerous visible staff available.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

He was quite aware that they could get hurt. I said in my OP that some of them had tripped and fallen, one of them to the point of crying. He didn't bother to even come check on her. So talking to him probably wouldn't have helped.
I think you're right. If the father didn't check on a child who had tripped, fallen and was crying he was going to pay zero attention to anyone talking to him about what they were doing.

Moving to another set of seats was probably your best option. Sorry you couldn't enjoy the game. Years ago we had season tickets for the Angels and there was one kid in particular who used to run up and down the stands. Constantly. He never sat still. We knew his father was a player and no one ever said anything to the Mom.

He grew up to be Barry Bonds. Dang, he was an annoying kid, lol. Cute but annoying.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
It seems like the father didn't care so talking to him wouldn't have made a difference and maybe even caused trouble for you. I would have probably said something to the kids and if that didn't work then just move to another seat like you did.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
"Excuse me kids, you are blocking my view and distracting me from the game. Can you please play somewhere else or sit back down?"
Yup. I would have said something directly to the kids also. If that had no affect, then I would have appealed to the father's sense of fairness. You paid for the seats, you deserve to be able to see the game.

We only had something similar happen once, at a pro basketball game. The kids in front of us had those huge foam finger things, and even though they stayed seated, we couldn't see a thing because they were holding them up in the air. I tapped one of them on the shoulder, and said "excuse me, but when you hold that up we can't see". Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting