Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times

Advertisements

Temporary 'tattoo' may help if child is lost - latimes.com

This looks like it could useful for some parents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 12:00 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
You might want to add something about what you'd like people to discuss...

Old 06-02-2013, 03:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Hmmm, do people really put these on their children every time they leave the home?

I think there are a few other things that are a bit more practical such as teaching young children their parents names. And making sure older children know parent's cell numbers. Reinforcing who to ask for help if needed, and always encouraging kids to seek out a designated area if separated, such as food court, office, etc.

I have friends who take a group photo when they go anywhere such as an amusement park, etc., so if someone gets lost they have a photo and description.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:05 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
BTW: The child is not 'lost' The parents are lost.. The child know exactly where they are. I think its SixFlags who has the 'Lost Parent' area.

As a parent has misplaced my Son in The San Diego Zoo, The Air Space Museum, and few other places, We alway seem to find each other.

AirSpace was harder, His Cell was dead, and he had my Cell phone, would call him from other people phones, but since he did not know the number he did not answer it. So I Just camped out at the main entrance and waited from him to show up.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
We have been using SafetyTats for years. We don't use them every time we go out of the house, but if we are going somewhere where there will be big crowds we do. We also put them on the kids when they go places with the grandparents (like when grandma took them to the circus).

My youngest is 4 and she will just take off without warning, and she definitely does not know her phone number. Though she is verbal now, you'd still be lucky if you got her to tell her name to a stranger.

One of the problems with the tattos is that they come off with sunscreen. I have actually been researching online what we should do for this when we go to Disney, and some people suggest using disposable hospital ID type bracelets.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 PM

821 posts, read 2,038,549 times
My son who has way more energy than I could keep up with sometmes. LOL
So what I do is have a chit chat with the kids when we go to really big places like amusement parks, malls ect.
The minute we get there I point out the people they can ask for help such as cashiers, the people walking around with the "blue shirts" or the people who are working the rides. I also make sure he knows our phone #, names and address. Just as a refresher this takes less than a minute to go over it gives me a little piece of mind that they know what to do. Plus it reminds them that they need to stay close.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM

821 posts, read 2,038,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
We have been using SafetyTats for years. We don't use them every time we go out of the house, but if we are going somewhere where there will be big crowds we do. We also put them on the kids when they go places with the grandparents (like when grandma took them to the circus).

My youngest is 4 and she will just take off without warning, and she definitely does not know her phone number. Though she is verbal now, you'd still be lucky if you got her to tell her name to a stranger.

One of the problems with the tattos is that they come off with sunscreen. I have actually been researching online what we should do for this when we go to Disney, and some people suggest using disposable hospital ID type bracelets.
For younger kids I like the ID tags.. You might be able to get bracelets that you can use over and over online for a good price somewhere like etsy or on ebay.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
When we went places, we always had a meeting place for if we got separated. However, we usually went to places we were very familiar with, so finding the meeting place wouldn't have been a big deal. If we went somewhere we didn't go to all the time, we picked something that was really tall and could be seen from just about everywhere at the venue in order to be able to find it easily.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
When we went places, we always had a meeting place for if we got separated. However, we usually went to places we were very familiar with, so finding the meeting place wouldn't have been a big deal. If we went somewhere we didn't go to all the time, we picked something that was really tall and could be seen from just about everywhere at the venue in order to be able to find it easily.
This is exactly what we did.

When I was a kid the schools sold ID bracelets. The bracelets came with name, address, phone number. Religion could be added ("I am a Catholic. In Case of an Accident Notify a Priest"). And allergies. Somewhere along the line those went away. I think they were used as part of fund-raising for the schools. Every kid in our town wore one.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
This is what we did too and my parents always emphasized that finding someone who worked where we were and asking for help was a good idea if we couldn't find them. I think that the tattoos could be useful though particularly for kids with special needs who may not be able to either find a landmark to meet at or tell an employee or police officer their parents' phone number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting