Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does having kids limit one's intellectual development?
My kids take all my free time, I have no time to expand myself as a person intellectually 5 15.63%
I am still able to expand my mind somewhat even though I have kids 9 28.13%
Having kids has made me a better person intellectually 18 56.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:55 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
With kids you get put into more situations that you would have realized, everyone a chance to learn and grow. With kids you get to meet lots of folks you may not have thought of meeting before, everyone a chance to learn and grow. With kids you get a chance to help mold a young mind into what it will be when it matures, everytime a chance to learn and grow.

There is no doubt that kids stretch you in everyway including intellectual.

I hear more of you quesiton being will they take away from "me" and the things "I" want to do. Remove that selfish aspect and yes, kids make you a better person and help you grow intellectually. Does that mean everyone should have kids? No way - lots of examples today of folks that shouldn't have kids - but that's a different topic.
I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
It changes your ideas of what "intellectual" and "cultural" means.
Kids teach you of what is really important every single day.
Well said.

I would also add that, children do not limit your intellect and why not pursue intellectual, cultural and educational activities that are "family oriented". You can still continue to expand while teaching and rearing the children to become well-rounded well rounded intellectual adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 PM

157 posts, read 624,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
My wife and I do not have children and feel it has been to our advantage. As we do interesting things during the evening and weekends we are always saying to each other that if we had children we would be bored. The type of intellectual, cultural and educational things we do in our free time just would not be possible if we had children.

My brother has kids and he has turned out completely different as a result. All his time is devoted to the kids. He spends countless hours driving them to activities, sitting in the stands watching them play sports, yelling at them to finish their homework, and talking about the kids endlessly with his wife. It seems like every waking hour is devoted to either his kids or his job. He has no time for reading, intellectual or cultural pursuits, or activities to expand his mind.

It seems like my wife's family members who are parents are exactly the same. I feel that having kids now days limit you as a person intellectually. Agree or disagree?
Actually quite the contrary IMO goodtype. Having children gave me a whole new and fresh perspective on life. Sure there are some things you give up or put on hold for a while when the children are very young but as far as limiting me intellectually no way! My oldest son is almost 7 and constantly asks questions about how everything in the world works. He knows more about volcanos than I did until pretty recently because he asked so we read and build volcano models, go to museums. He knows the names of many of the shark species by sight and I learn by teaching him. There's nothing like watching their eyes light up with excitement in learning. I find I have to keep learning so I can answer his questions... and kids at times ask the darndest questions to really make you think

Parents can make time to still do the the things they enjoy and leave the kids with a sitter. They don't have to be a ball and chain. As some other posters stated, not everyone is meant to have children but for those that do the experience is life-changing in the best way, and an experience that really can't be described, but experienced.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbee View Post
Actually quite the contrary IMO goodtype. Having children gave me a whole new and fresh perspective on life. Sure there are some things you give up or put on hold for a while when the children are very young but as far as limiting me intellectually no way! My oldest son is almost 7 and constantly asks questions about how everything in the world works. He knows more about volcanos than I did until pretty recently because he asked so we read and build volcano models, go to museums. He knows the names of many of the shark species by sight and I learn by teaching him. There's nothing like watching their eyes light up with excitement in learning. I find I have to keep learning so I can answer his questions... and kids at times ask the darndest questions to really make you think
I agree. I learn a lot through museum trips, concerts, theater, all done on behalf of the kids' "education". Teaching others increses your own level of understanding. It gives you a chance to learn things you thought you weren't interested in as a kid yourself. Some of them at a fairly sophisticated level.

Of course, your're also earning an advanced degree in raising a family, with coursework in scheduling, laundry management, nutrition, first aid/communicable diseases, educational development, etc.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:09 AM

261 posts, read 954,653 times
I agree! Each day with our son is a challenge and a blessing! I used to read alot more before having our son, and I used to do more crafting, but when my son and I are reading Dr. Seuss - The places you go....It makes me rethink how busy my life was and to step back and enjoy what I have now. Makes me proud to be the mommy of a 5 year old. We are constantly teaching each other!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times
For me, I am a very different person now than before I had kids - maybe not intellectually smarter but definitely more aware. Before, I was quiet certain that there was nothing that anyone could say or do to me that I couldn't get over - smug, I know. As a mother, I have entered the realm where I am more aware of my vulnerabilites - my children have - inadvertantly - brought this to my attention.

There are certain things in life that one cannot learn through reading a book, watching plays, listening to classical music, or even through traveling the world. I am able to do all these things as a parent, though not as frequently as before kids - my focus is on my children - as they are the center of my life right now, and everything else (besides my husband) do not mean as much to me as they used to. My children have taught me me more about myself and the world than anything I've read/heard/experienced before - they are teaching me something that is intangible and could never be properly summarized by anyone.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:58 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
Hmmm, I enjoy doing things with my son, we listen to all types of music I do art with him and honestly I have never practiced yoga more blissfuly then when he at just about 4 is trying to do the posses with me.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:30 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,440 times
I also feel that had I not had children,I would be a much more selfish person.I see childless people I know[my sister is one] that are so selfish with their time because everything revolves around her and her interests.I find that I am much more kind,caring and understanding of others because I have learned to put other people first.Had I not had kids,I would still be a self absorbed,inconsiderate person.I need to make time to fulfill my interests,but it is possible.I have new interests that I didn't have before through my kids.And I agree,my middle son wants to know about so many things that I spend lots of time looking things up and discussing them with him.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I also feel that had I not had children,I would be a much more selfish person.I see childless people I know[my sister is one] that are so selfish with their time because everything revolves around her and her interests.I find that I am much more kind,caring and understanding of others because I have learned to put other people first.Had I not had kids,I would still be a self absorbed,inconsiderate person.I need to make time to fulfill my interests,but it is possible.I have new interests that I didn't have before through my kids.And I agree,my middle son wants to know about so many things that I spend lots of time looking things up and discussing them with him.

Now to be fair, I also know people with kids that are selfish.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:33 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,440 times
oh yes that is so true,I was just saying that for me,I know the direction I would have gone in.When I was childless,it was me,me,me.After kids, my mind opened up to realize that it is much more fulfilling to do not only for your own kids ,but for others as well.I believe it's ok to be alittle selfish.After all,Moms need to be happy and healthy to be good moms.There needs to be a balance.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:57 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
....when you become a parent, you reach A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF PERSONAL GROWTH. You start seeing the world from a different perspective, the one that you wouldn't be able to view the world from if you weren't a parent.
Raising a human being requires a lot from you and it teaches you a lot more then any newspaper or a book can teach....
Well said!

I never had a maternal instinct and my plan was to not have children. Well, the big guy in the sky had other plans and at the young age of 39 I became pregnant with my little oops And OMG! Did life take on a whole new meaning. So much so, that at the young age of age of 41 I had child number two.
And this time we concieved naturally and ON purpose - unlike my first precious gift.

Having lived without children for a long time and then getting them unexpectedly I think I've seen both sides of the child coin. I traveled extensively before my children were born and had many great life experiences. However, corny as it sounds - the meaning of life - is so much clearer now then Pre-kids. I mean, ah ... children aren't for everyone ... but, if you are lucky enough and blessed with one - your eyes, heart and mind open in a way you can never imagine. It's impossible to explain, unless you have children.

The biggest thing you lose when you have children is NOT intellect ... its freedom. But the rewards ... well they can not be measured by a book, a class, a play, a trip, another degree or anything. The reward is the stuff rainbows are made of - beautiful and inexplicable unless you experience it first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting