Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 6,938 times

Advertisements

I have a 16 year old daughter and would like to monitor her computer usage because I am not sure what she is up to with her new friends and want to make sure she isn't talking to any strangers. Is there a way for me to see what she is doing while I am at work and not able to watch her computer use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,479 times
I am sure there is. However, the easiest solution would for you to barr her from using the computer while you are at work. You can also purchase a program called "Spyware" which will allow you to get passwords, and see all the sites she goes to. But you have to put it on her computer.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
This is something you should start BEFORE they are 16.

Does she have an iPhone?

Old 06-15-2013, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 6,938 times
I am looking around right now for some program, came across a few of them, any recommendations on which one to try? I have access to the computer so installing it shouldn't be an issue when she is away from home.

Spyrix Keylogger: Spyrix Free Keylogger - CNET Download.com
Yoshistr Deluxe Keylogger: www.yoshistr.com/hsolutions.html#YDK
Shadow Keylogger: Shadow Keylogger - Download

Last edited by jetsfan99; 06-15-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 12:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
We have used Web Watcher.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan99 View Post
I have a 16 year old daughter and would like to monitor her computer usage because I am not sure what she is up to with her new friends and want to make sure she isn't talking to any strangers. Is there a way for me to see what she is doing while I am at work and not able to watch her computer use?
Minors should be under supervision by an adult (especially teenage girls). You need to have her "someplace" while you are working where there is an adult present and in charge. People do not become adults until they are 18 years old for a REASON. It's because they are not mature enough to make critical decisions for themselves including things like drinking, doing drugs and having unprotected sex. Computers should always be monitored by adults and in a "common" area where activities can be supervised.

I'm not even a parent, and I know that, for cripes sake.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
I commend you for attempting to keep track of her computer habits...I am shocked that you have waited until she is almost an adult to try and monitor this though.

Does she have friends with computers / laptops?
Does she have a smart phone, or friends with smart phones?
Is there a library that she can go to anywhere near you?

The only way I see sneaking a nanny program onto your computer at home working is if she never figures it out or does not care that you are spying on her. If she figures out that you've bugged the computer at home, she will find a thousand other ways to access the internet without your knowledge.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2013, 01:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan99 View Post
I would hope any parent would have justification for using one of these programs. In this case, I'm assuming the OP has reasons to be concerned about the new friends. But, I would not install anything without alerting my child I was doing so. The parent-child trust bond should not be broken without cause.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:52 PM

885 posts, read 1,882,087 times
First.

Investigate OPENDns and make it happen at your house.
http://www.opendns.com/home-solution...ntal-controls/

Second

Get eblaster, while expensive it does everything you could want and more. It will give you access to all of their accounts via a keylogger, tell you what they are saying, etc. It has one catch, it doesn't record video chat. Spector soft pro from the same company does do that...

Remote Monitoring Software | SpectorSoft - eBLASTER

I have seen parents go both ways. Some tell their kids that everything they do is being monitored (best practice IMO) and some do not and then are shocked when the find out what their kid is up to.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I would hope any parent would have justification for using one of these programs. In this case, I'm assuming the OP has reasons to be concerned about the new friends. But, I would not install anything without alerting my child I was doing so. The parent-child trust bond should not be broken without cause.
What are you afraid of? That she might get MAD at you? Who is the parent in this scenario? Children EARN trust. They are not ENTITLED to it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting