Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:45 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,092 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, I never said I liked tattoos & piercing. I just won't dis-own my child for it. I will be extremely disappointed in their choice and I would never give my consent to have them get them. Once they are 18 and I have told them all the downsides to them, then it is out of my hands. Now my husband would dis-own them, especially if we have a daughter. He hates tattoos (tramp stamps) on girls. He hates them on guys too but more so on girls. And yes, I do think that tattoos and piercing are bad for careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 01:53 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,823 times
YES! But one thing I try to do is keep my kids grounded. Through Church Youth Group and by just talking to them...I do not want my daughter to bring home a tattooed freak even tho my brother is a tattoo artist! But, what I try to do, and I have to remind myself of this daily, is not judge a book...I grew up in a small town with 6 older brothers and 2 older sisters, by the time I got to school I was already judged by the teachers and other parents because of my last name--I never thought that was right...so YES it is tough, but it is also rewarding and I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars...I have three great kids- not perfect- not #1 in their class, they don't always listen to me and sometimes I get so frustrated I could spit but then again- they are respectful, insightful, caring, and honest -- I'm blessed.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:18 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,092 times
exactly.
I don't judge people for their tattoos or how they look, well some girls I guess I do if they look like a ho, but I don't want MY child judged or have them have anything that they can be looked down on about.
I want to take my son to the doctor to get his hearing checked sometimes for not listening and he is only 3.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:19 PM

241 posts, read 998,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Look at the world of Professional Rodeo......no tatoos or body piercing there. I should know, I was a Team Roper for a number of years. I only knew one guy that had the tatoos/piercings.....pro steer wrestler and announcers would always say something about the way he looked.
Could you imagine seeing a father or his son working a field on a tractor with ear rings in???? How about a Ranch Forman or Ranch Hand looking the same way........I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know of two pro calf ropers who have tattoos and one is my horse shoer The other is our trailer dealer. I also know of several "farmers" who have tattoos and several masons too. I know many fireman that have tattoos too. Would you not let them help you cuz they have tattoos?

To many of these guys it is a "brother hood" type of thing. They all go and get the same tat put on. I know of a spud farmer who went farming in his $1000 suit, that to me is more ridiculous than a cowboy having a tattoo or earing.

Doesn't all of this come under "don't judge a book by it's cover" or "judge not least ye be judged" (the last one is in Matt 7-1&2 I think).

Old 10-13-2006, 02:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I would not be thrilled if my 23 year old son came home for a visit wearing a tattoo, but I don't lose sleep at night over it. I can think of a lot worse things than some ink on the skin.
The best way to teach a kid good values is to *demonstrate* those values by modeling the correct behavior. Going to church is fine but if you don't practice what you preach it does not do a whole lot of good.
Staying home with your children is wonderful but if the kids spend the entire time plopped on the couch watching Barney while you're on the phone, it might be preferable that they go to a good preschool instead.
I do agree that it is sad to have children and then spend very little time with them.
You shouldn't have kids if you can't or won't spend time with them, but all too often, people have babies as if they are some sort of American Dream accessory, along with the white picket fence.
I cherish the time I had with my children as little ones; you don't get those early years back.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:02 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
I think It is sad that some peopl judge others because they have tattoos or piercings, I personally being a woman have two tattoos on my ankles and I am in no way a "tramp" I have been happily married for 13 years and have fourkids. Tattoos and piercing do not mean they are a bad or evil person, they like to express themselves, it is their body why should anyone else have the right to judge them, and my grandparents had a ranch in Montana and a farm in Idaho and my grandfather had 3 tattoos and so does my dad, both ranchers, they dont mean anything.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:31 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,670 times
I don't think it's any harder today. I think it's same as it's always been. Lots of love, trust and support--be a good roll model. I was 16 when my Mom passed away. Even at 16, I never left the house without kissing her good-bye and I always kissed her good night. My girls are grown and it's the same way with us (and since they're both 5 inches taller than me a hug usually means I'm lifted way in the air .) If it's a phone call, we never hang up without saying, "I love you."--same with my grandkids.
I had the best roll model and I've spent most of my life trying to be just like her. I like to think I've been a good roll model for my kids and I see my girls being good roll models for their children.
None of us is perfect--we all learn from making mistakes. It's just important that kids know you still love no matter what.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:49 PM

241 posts, read 998,575 times
grammy164....I am green with envy over how you and your girls interact! I don't have that with my mother but I do have that with my boyz! My 14 yr old is 6' 3" and I have to look up at him and he is always giving me noogies.

You are so right about LOTS of LOVE, TRUST and TONS of SUPPORT. When a kid feels that from their parents they usually act accordingly!

Old 10-13-2006, 06:37 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Grammy and my3arabs you so right about the love the trust and support!!!!
I wish I could give both 100 green dots!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:07 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Ok, OK, OK......."to each their own" when it comes to opinions about the body piercing and tatoos. The wife and I still don't like the body piercing and as far as tattoos go, the military ones are fine.
As far as being "judgemental"........folks, we are all judgemental in one way or another. Parents talk to their kids about making good choices when choosing friends to be around (no drugs, non-smokers (parents don't smoke), no cussing or "f" words, clothes that some kids wear). Well people, this is all "judging" and teaching "judging" no matter how you look at it.
During my old high school days, during lunch, some of the kids in my class would go across the street to a little gas station/store and smoke cigs and hangout. I was in a group that didn't do that. And I never seen the Class President or other upper-classmen do that. We just knew that it wasn't right and we didn't have much to do with the kids that did go over there. Our choice. We all make "choices" about people, places, etc. and those "choices" can definitely be called "judgements".
My horse shoer had a couple of tatoos on his arms. Not on his neck or a number of them going up and down his arms......I seen 2 tatoos, that was all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting