Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times

Advertisements

It was the last day of my kid's preK. He'll be going to Kindergarten in Sept. Yep, the big time!

We brought in some animal crackers to be distributed to the kids for his farewell day. The teacher tells us she cannot distribute the crackers because it has that label that says they were produced in a factory with other machines that may have had peanuts on them.

What would you think of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
It was the last day of my kid's preK. He'll be going to Kindergarten in Sept. Yep, the big time!

We brought in some animal crackers to be distributed to the kids for his farewell day. The teacher tells us she cannot distribute the crackers because it has that label that says they were produced in a factory with other machines that may have had peanuts on them.

What would you think of that?
Yep, that's normal of any school.

What I want to know is, //www.city-data.com/forum/paren...nut-other.html

You'll be hassled less by bringing cocaine into a classroom than you will be bring peanuts into a classroom.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
Totally normal.
We are not allowed to bring any outside food to my child's center whatsoever.
Some children have allergies so severe that they could be fatal.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Totally normal.
We are not allowed to bring any outside food to my child's center whatsoever.
Some children have allergies so severe that they could be fatal.
Outside food is allowed in this particular preK. And these are 4 and 5 yr old kids, wouldn't the parents know if they had a peanut allergy. And even if they didn't, the crackers don't have peanuts. You don't think it's overkill?

Edit: I'm sure that many of the cookies and stuff that other parents make at home and bring in are made in kitchens where tehre have been peanuts. They took the class to a Hibachi restaurant when learnign about Asian culture...that restaurant has peanuts in their kitchen. Just ot clarify - it was not an ingredient in the crackers. It was just that typical label that is on many food items that says the crackers were produced in a place that has machines that may have had peanuts on them.

Seemed way over the top to me. Waaaay over the top.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Some just outright ban it, others simply discourage you bringing it, but still allow it. My kids school (public) would allow it, but they absolutely ban anything that has a first ingredient of sugar and nothing can be homemade.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
" Is this normal of a pre K place?"

Yes... and not just pre-K.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Outside food is allowed in this particular preK. And these are 4 and 5 yr old kids, wouldn't the parents know if they had a peanut allergy. And even if they didn't, the crackers don't have peanuts. You don't think it's overkill?

Edit: I'm sure that many of the cookies and stuff that other parents make at home and bring in are made in kitchens where tehre have been peanuts. They took the class to a Hibachi restaurant when learnign about Asian culture...that restaurant has peanuts in their kitchen. Just ot clarify - it was not an ingredient in the crackers. It was just that typical label that is on many food items that says the crackers were produced in a place that has machines that may have had peanuts on them.

Seemed way over the top to me. Waaaay over the top.
Overkill?!? No, not at all.

Moderator Cut

A child does not even necessarily need to ingest a peanut, simply sitting in the same room an another child eating a peanut could cause a reaction or even death.

And yes, even being in contact with a food that was once in contact with peanut oil in any form can cause a reaction, or again, death.

Seriously, you should educate yourself.

Peanut Allergy...The Shocking Facts - Allergies: Allergy Symptoms, Treatment, and Medications on MedicineNet.com
Peanut allergy - MayoClinic.com

Last edited by Jaded; 06-30-2013 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: Rude comment and argumentative

Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
" Is this normal of a pre K place?"

Yes... and not just pre-K.
Very true, it applies to all grades. In my kids school they keep separate "peanut free" lunch tables until 5th grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Overkill?!? No, not at all.

A child does not even necessarily need to ingest a peanut, simply sitting in the same room an asnother child eating a peanut could cause a reaction or even death.

And yes, even being in contact with a food that was once in contact with peanut oil in any form can cause a reaction, or again, death.

Seriously, you should educate yourself.

Peanut Allergy...The Shocking Facts - Allergies: Allergy Symptoms, Treatment, and Medications on MedicineNet.com
Peanut allergy - MayoClinic.com
Some places do take it to extremes though. In all seriousness, those severe type of reactions are incredibly rare. So rare, that you have a better chance of dieing from a lightning strike than you do of dieing from a contact reaction to a peanut, even if you are highly allergic.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-30-2013 at 01:03 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
A friend is married to a guy with a tree nut allergy.
If SHE eats something with tree nuts, she cannot kiss him or sleep in the same bed with him that night. Yes, he is THAT sensitive.

I think that would be a horrible way to live....

Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM

I'm not sure how accurate that lightning strike statistic is....
I hear about children dying from exposure to allergens constantly.
Here are just a few recent ones:
Losing a Child to a Food Allergy: A Family’s Love Story | Inspired Bites

Utah boy

NJ Boy Dies From Possible Milk Allergic Reaction | Gratefulfoodie.com

Page 2: College Freshman With Peanut Allergy Dies After Eating a Cookie - ABC News

EDIT: A good summary of statistics from CNN, as well as explanation of why, even if you are vigilant about what is eaten, contact contamination can be deadly = http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...lergy-dangers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting