Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:48 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,306 times

Advertisements

When my kids were toddlers, I had it in my head that they were either ready, or they weren't. I've never understood the months of stress, accidents and pull ups. When each baby was around 2, I picked a three day weekend, committed to staying home, and hitting the toilet every hour or so, until they got the idea. If they were still peeing more on themselves than in the toilet by the end of the weekend, we went back to diapers until the next long weekend. My oldest took one weekend at 2 years old. My middle took 2-3 weekends at 2 1/2 (baby brother came along just as she turned 2). My youngest, and only boy, had ZERO interest in using the potty. He and my husband finally had a campout in the bathroom the weekend he turned 3, and he figured it out. None of them had accidents or had to return to diapers once they had a successful weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:14 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Thanks everyone! I just left the issue for a few more weeks and when my husband was finally around (he had to work 7 days a week for 8 weeks straight), we started 100% naked. We're on day 3 and he's down to no pee accidents in the house and grabbing my hand and running for pee pee (an M&M candy reward). Little sneak has also tried to fake it on the toilet for candy but I know better.

We had to get some food yesterday and he peed in the car but I think he has done extremely well so far, and stayed dry for his 2 hour naps. We had a LOT of accidents last night after the pool but that is probably from the pool water (he likes to drink it) than anything else.

Thanks! It is SO relieving to not change diapers in 2 full days, especially when I already have to do so for my baby. We have not used pullups, just regular underwear outside the house. Summer potty training is great.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Wait ... he drinks pool water??

Old 07-24-2013, 05:33 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Yeah, it's really annoying. He thinks it's funny. It's our pool so if any consolation, it's just his own pool water/aka pee water.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
You should be teaching him some sign language so he can tell you that way. Many parents teach their kids sign language, not because of any hearing problems, but because their children can then tell them what they want when maybe they are not old enough to talk yet. There are some really good books on sign language for children.
Yes, my child with Down syndrome used a sign for pee and poop. We all use that sign now when we are out to be discrete and let family members know where we are going.

I got rid of the diapers for both boys when it was time for them to use the toilet. It was not easy to train them and one MUST be consistent and stick with schedules. We found all the reward stuff to be a waste of time and when we just started handling it in a "matter of fact" way, that went much further. I never showed anger, it was just taken care of like an accident and we went on with life. The less frustrated I was, the more progress we made. In the training pants, terry-type, the pee ran down their leg and poopy diapers were taken off, emptied and rinsed by the child. My older son was trained by 25 months and our son with DS by age 6 which was very good in his case.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
We bribed our son w/ m&ms in the beginning to get him excited about it. We'd take him to the potty every 20 min or so for the first couple days. Gradually going longer stretches. Now we still have to ask him to sit on the potty for us but he'll hold his pee between them. It's been about 1.5 months. The poop was harder but he's getting it. Starting to tell us he has to instead of pooping his pants. We make a really big deal when he poops in potty and he gets really excited. We also give him a little toy truck when he poops. Potty training can be really hard but hang in there.

We're still using a floor potty. It seems much easier for them. Haven't attempted the little donut on the reg toilet yet.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
For what it's worth, Signing Time now has a Potty Time DVD. We loved Signing Time videos for both our typically developing daughter and our developmentally delayed daughter. Sign language was really nice whether they were talking on-schedule or delayed in speech. We suspected that my 2nd had a hearing loss for a long time, but after much testing they determined that her hearing was within normal limits and now she just gets follow-up hearing tests every year.

Potty Time DVD

Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 PM

39 posts, read 152,640 times
Have you tried making it fun?? maybe putting footloops in the bowl and telling him to aim for a certain color???

Old 07-27-2013, 02:23 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I found what worked for us was to just have them in sweat pants for awhile. They're very easy for the child to pull down by themselves. Some people have a very special treat (piece of chocolate, whatever) for the real good jobs..We used to make quite the deal over the logs left behind. The kids like that. I had them always call for help afterwards so that they could be helped with cleanup and washing of hands.
little boys like to **** in the big toilet, and are less likely to miss, so get them a little stool for that...the little seats that fit over the big ones are great for other times....it's a constant progress that takes continued attention, but not for long....if you are diligent in your praise and reminders to go occasionally, the reward (potty trained) comes fairly quick...goodluck...oh, and don't punish if the child has mistakes, don't say anything, when you clean it up. You want the child to know you're not pleased, but you don't want to scare him either.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 AM

340 posts, read 523,934 times
Quote:
Originally posted by aliss2
He is 45lbs and already outgrown the largest size diapers. Pullups are expensive and just prolonging the issue.
Standard prefold/flat cloth diapers with toddler sized rubber pants, or the half measure of cotton soakers with rubber pants over, will more than handle this. A fresh start in diapers/training pants that actually feel wet and uncomfortable will help your son with awareness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting