Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times

Advertisements

Can't ever remember being without my trusty swiss army knife as a kid, but I'm betting things are very, very different now.

Would you allow your kid to have a pocketknife? If so, at what age? Are there are rules you would expect them to follow?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
No, not because I do not think they should not have one, but because society now days is so up tight, I would fear being hauled in for child abuse, or my kid would be charged with possession of a weapon, or some other political BS as part of our pursuit of a great society.

I remember caring one in high school, most everyone did.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Yes, all my boys got them as Cub Scouts when they were 9.

They don't carry them daily, but they know how to use them properly. If they accidentally carried them to school and teachers found out, it would be a zero-tolerance offense.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Depends. If my child had to go places by himself, for instance, school,or hang out with friends, and the neighborhood was bad, then yes I would. I can't shelter him just because the neighborhood is bad.
But he'd have to be over 13.

I'd rather have my child charged with a weapon charge, than be beat up, or forced into a car and sexually abused and have to face the fears and memories of that for the rest of his life.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Depends. If my child had to go places by himself, for instance, school,or hang out with friends, and the neighborhood was bad, then yes I would. I can't shelter him just because the neighborhood is bad.

I'd rather have my child charged with a weapon charge, than be beat up, or forced into a car and sexually abused and have to face the fears and memories of that for the rest of his life.
A pocketknife is mainly a tool, not really intended as a weapon for self defense. If the neighborhood is bad enough that a child needs a weapon, I'd be reconsidering where I live.

Would I give my child a pocketknife? Depends. On the kid, the age etc. I have no issue with it if the child in question is old enough and responsible enough to handle it. I think I had one in second grade as a Brownie scout.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post

Let's be honest, you're not going to defend yourself against a beating or rape with a swiss army knife. You might be able to scare off someone who wasn't very determined, but nothing more. It would just give the child a false sense of security, maybe get him beaten a little worse for scratching up his attackers. I'd rather give my kid a can of mace in that situation.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
A pocketknife is mainly a tool, not really intended as a weapon for self defense. If the neighborhood is bad enough that a child needs a weapon, I'd be reconsidering where I live.

Would I give my child a pocketknife? Depends. On the kid, the age etc. I have no issue with it if the child in question is old enough and responsible enough to handle it. I think I had one in second grade as a Brownie scout.
I have to agree that a pocket knife is just not intended for protection. A good one with all the cool attachments isn't even going to open easily- it isn't like you could just pull it out of a pocket and have an instant knife, you had to fiddle with it. And the blade is small and not sharp enough to do much real damage. I just can't see a kid fending off an adult with one...or really even another kid

Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I let my kids have the scout versions. They were only used under supervision, and they quickly lost interest.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Age 7, 8, 9 or around that age. Cutting the string on a bale of hay for example requires a knife. Knives are tools -- and as soon as a child knows how to use a tool, I can't see not allowing a tool.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
My first two children, a boy and a girl were given pocket knives in middle school for all sorts of reasons. The tiny swiss army knife for my daughter has scissors, tweezers, nail file, toothpick and a tiny blade. She kept it in her backpack and it was very useful. She's now 29. Son was a scout and had several knives. Both husband and I carry pocket knives. I have the tiny one on my key chain. Never even considered it was a weapon or for protection. Our 10 yo girls will not be given pocket knives because at this point, they aren't ever without one of us except at school and they don't need one. but if they want one when they are older I have no problem as long as they don't take it to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.