Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,931 times

Advertisements

WHEN they come out with the new flu vaccine are you going to allow your children to get it? You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,689 times
Yes.
And the reason not to is .....?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
It will depend.

By the time an approved vaccine hits the ped's office, this new strain will have made a 2nd round in the northern hemisphere.

If it proves to prevent...absolutely.

My #1 will be in preschool next fall & I am prepared for many colds, runny noses, & so on.

But I will not intentionally let him be exposed to this strain if the vaccine proves to prevent it.

We did not vaccinate this year for the regular influenza shot based on research & talk with the ped.

Since many elements will change come Sept.(mostly exposure to children from all different walks of life & I do not have first hand knowledge of their background), they will be getting vaccinated. Chances of them getting just as ill they did this year are only less if they are exposed to the specific strain that is in the shot...I will have them take the shot for that fact alone.

I'm siding on the side of caution after spending Valentine's Day in the ER with my #1 who had over a 104 degree fever to find out that he had a strain of flu that was in this years shot.

The science of medicine is a blessing if used correctly & understood correctly.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
It will depend.

By the time an approved vaccine hits the ped's office, this new strain will have made a 2nd round in the northern hemisphere.

If it proves to prevent...absolutely.

My #1 will be in preschool next fall & I am prepared for many colds, runny noses, & so on.

But I will not intentionally let him be exposed to this strain if the vaccine proves to prevent it.

We did not vaccinate this year for the regular influenza shot based on research & talk with the ped.

Since many elements will change come Sept.(mostly exposure to children from all different walks of life & I do not have first hand knowledge of their background), they will be getting vaccinated. Chances of them getting just as ill they did this year are only less if they are exposed to the specific strain that is in the shot...I will have them take the shot for that fact alone.

I'm siding on the side of caution after spending Valentine's Day in the ER with my #1 who had over a 104 degree fever to find out that he had a strain of flu that was in this years shot.

The science of medicine is a blessing if used correctly & understood correctly.
Though I don't think I would get the vaccine, I definitely respect and agree with your answer.

We have yet to see what is going to happen. If the deaths are still low, I definitely wouldn't even consider it. In 1976 ONE person had died when they introduced the vaccine and many got sick or crippled and some even died.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,683 times
I am not against vaccines, but I doubt either myself or my kids will get it. I am leary because my Mom, myself and my son have all had reactions to multiple vaccines. I get the required shots for my kids, but even with those my son's reactions are risky, so I have a hard time taking the chance.

If I felt the risk of not giving them the shot was larger than what the reaction may be, I could possibly change my mind, but at this point, we will not be getting flu shots.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:19 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
Quote:
By the time an approved vaccine
I stopped quoting right there, because when the vaccine hits the market, it will not be safety tested. It will be an "emergency measure" to "protect the public." People are terrified, and they are counting on the general public lining up with their sleeves up regardless of the safety or efficacy of the vaccine. Just like in 1976.

Unless people are dropping like flies, and the vaccine is shown to actually PREVENT the illness and not cause equally deadly side effects, we will not be getting it.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:06 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
No.
I do not think these vaccines work. Wasn't there a time last year or before when they gave out shots and found out it didn't work on that flu anyhow?

I am pretty skeptical of medical science...I believe in doctors and so on, but still you have to be an educated person and think for yourself sometimes.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:20 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,385 times
Default No. Not after my experience with the last flu vaccine

My kids are hardly ever sick. Other than well child visits they usually go to the doctor once every few years or so for colds that require an antibiotic.

Last fall, when I bought my daughter in for her 10-year-old check up her pediatrician suggested she get the flu shot. I questioned this b/c she had never had the flu before and neither has anyone else in our family. But the pediatrician was really pushing it so I gave my permission.

Three days later my daughter came down with the flu. I have never seen her so weak and tired. She slept for almost a whole week straight. She was exhausted the following week, too.

When I bought her in to see the pediatrician, she said that the flu shot could not have caused the flu. She suggested my daughter already had it in her system.

I'll never know for sure, but I don't plan to have my children get the flu shot next fall. By the way, my other daughter didn't get the flu shot and didn't catch the flu even though she would sneak into her big sister's bed at night to comfort her and they share just about everything.

One of my coworkers had to research and write about the swine flu this week and he was told by state health officials that it's no worse than other flu strains, which kill over 4,000 Americans each year. I think it's being blown way out of proportion.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
My kids are hardly ever sick. Other than well child visits they usually go to the doctor once every few years or so for colds that require an antibiotic.

Last fall, when I bought my daughter in for her 10-year-old check up her pediatrician suggested she get the flu shot. I questioned this b/c she had never had the flu before and neither has anyone else in our family. But the pediatrician was really pushing it so I gave my permission.

Three days later my daughter came down with the flu. I have never seen her so weak and tired. She slept for almost a whole week straight. She was exhausted the following week, too.

When I bought her in to see the pediatrician, she said that the flu shot could not have caused the flu. She suggested my daughter already had it in her system.

I'll never know for sure, but I don't plan to have my children get the flu shot next fall. By the way, my other daughter didn't get the flu shot and didn't catch the flu even though she would sneak into her big sister's bed at night to comfort her and they share just about everything.

One of my coworkers had to research and write about the swine flu this week and he was told by state health officials that it's no worse than other flu strains, which kill over 4,000 Americans each year. I think it's being blown way out of proportion.
According to CDC the number of people who died from complications due to the flu was around 36,000 in the USA per year from 1993-2003. I think that is as far as their studies have gone so far.

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Q & A: Questions and Answers Regarding Estimating Deaths from Influenza in the United States

I'm like you in that I think this swine flu is being blown way out of proportion. I feel it is a scare tactic and that someone is standing to gain a lot of money or fame or both. I'm not saying this flu is not real, but it is much like the bird flu scare we had a few years ago. I remember quite a few people who lined up to get flu shots because they were scared of coming down with bird flu. I still wonder just how many of them actually got a shot for that particular flu and how many were just told that is what they got when all it was, was the shot for that years predicted regular flu.

I most likely will not be getting the flu shot for this swine flu for me or my family, at least not the first batch anyways. I'll see what is happening by the time school starts up in the fall. If the vaccine looks to be safe and a good idea, then I might change my mind.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,317,444 times
Unless the real statistics with the flu show a much higher death rate, we will not. The flu shots are only 86% effective. Out of the 30,000 people who “reported” to die of the flu in 2003, only about 1000 did not die from pneumonia. Out of the 1000, 95% were over the age of 65. There is a much higher rate of bad reactions from the flu shots as well as the now proven links between vaccines and things like autism within kids. But in 2002, over $400,000 was wasted in flu shots not used. The following year was the first year they started saying..."This is going to be the worst flu season ever.." and started quoted their over inflated statisics. That year they made millions more.

HOWEVER….I will not take my kids out if they are sick like many parents do. The world health organization states that children are the number one disease carrying creature in the world. I will be even more vigilant when planning time with those older or immune compromised members of my family and will wait until two weeks after all symptoms go away before visiting or having them over.

The number one thing with the flu is to be vigilant with treating the symptoms to prevent further problems.

The sickest I’ve ever seen any of my children is after being treated with vaccines. He was very close to death with a 104 degree fever and all our local hospitals said was he reaction was “normal.” Near death for a 4 month old is now normal?? I recall my four year old brother this sick. There was a snow storm and the hospital was quite a ways away so the doctor said to spoon in a teaspoon of pedialyte every 5 minutes until he peed, which he hadn't done for over 24 hours. Then it was every 30 minutes until he could stand up again. If by morning his symtoms were not better, he'd be taken by ambulance to the hospital. Late that night, he finally peed. It was the same with our son. Just two hours before driving the 3 hour drive to the big city with a children's hospital, he finally latched on and started nursing again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting