Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 11:36 AM

550 posts, read 965,828 times

Advertisements

PDA, as in Personal Digital Assistance...

Our daughter is in an after-school program at her elementary school until either my wife or I pick her up around 5. The after-school program does not prohibit PDAs. It never really bothered me until I witnessed one of her classmates (they’re both in Kindergarten) being reprimanded by his own mother not because he was on an iPhone but because he was using one of the after-school counselor’s iPhones, with permission. So the mother’s concern stemmed from the fact that her own son should have his own PDA and not have to use someone else’s. Sure enough, on the following day, the boy had his very own iPad, and 3 or 4 other kids, including my daughter, were hovered over the screen.

I immediately asked the counselors to make sure our daughter stays off of them as I don’t want her to end up a sloth.

What would you do? What is your philosophy on PDAs for your kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:46 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,440 times
I personally think it's a bad idea for an after school program to allow this. Sounds like the after school "counselors" are too lazy to direct or participate in actual play with the kids. These kids would benefit from running around and playing outside, or at the very least, play a board game of some sort. But, that would require more interaction and attention from the adults there. Much like parenting does, or should...

Old 04-22-2014, 12:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I personally think it's a bad idea for an after school program to allow this. Sounds like the after school "counselors" are too lazy to direct or participate in actual play with the kids. These kids would benefit from running around and playing outside, or at the very least, play a board game of some sort. But, that would require more interaction and attention from the adults there. Much like parenting does, or should...
I think that the after-school programs in my area do not allow IPads/etc. They do have outdoor activities when the weather is good or use of the gym, plus have a lot of crafts, art activities and games. Or the children can quietly read or work on homework.

Computer use is like many other things, good in moderation and bad if used too often or excessively.

There have already been a number of threads on this topic that you can read.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
We never limited access to technology. Like anything, as soon as you do that, they want it even more. There were days when the kids wanted to be on the computer all day but mostly they preferred to play outside. They are grown, none are sloths, 1 works in the computer field, one more is heading that way and our 3rd is a college athlete.....so......

Old 04-22-2014, 03:40 PM

513 posts, read 799,272 times
When I was younger I ended up going to "after school" day care which was basically school, after hours. It was run by teachers. This was before cell phones, iPads, etc. however we did have basic computers. The only time we were allowed to use the computer (and the floppy disc of Wheel of Fortune) was when it was raining out and we were finished our homework. Nice days we played outside, and then came in when it was dark out to do homework. Rainy days we would play inside and manly play board games, cards, etc. on a special occasion we were allowed to play Wheel Of Fortune on the computer. On very special occasions, the older kids (5th grade and up) were allowed to walk next door to the APlus and get snacks if we had money and our parents wrote a permission note.

If I was sending my daughter to camp or something of that sort I would wish there would be no cell phones, iPads, or PDAs. She can do that at home. They should be doing activities they don't have available at home.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I think so too. While there is nothing inherently awful about the technology, I wouldn't willingly pay for this version of after care.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 AM

550 posts, read 965,828 times
Thanks for all the comments.

Re:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think so too. While there is nothing inherently awful about the technology, I wouldn't willingly pay for this version of after care.
The program otherwise I think is just fine. They encourage physical activities and creative art projects. And quite a few of my daughter's friends are there, which makes her feel comfortable. We also have an option to have them take swim lessons at the local Y once a week.

But maybe it's time to look for alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting