Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,178 times

Advertisements

This is an honest question. I have been camping lately, and am appalled by the behavior I have witnessed. Parents with absolutely ZERO respect for others, allowing their kids to tear around, and quite frankly terrorize other campers. I am actually nice to the children, but my camping neighbors (an older couple) left because of the shrieking. I have to say that it is starting to get on my nerves as well. I don't remember screaming at the top of my lungs as a child when playing outside. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten in trouble. We were instructed to scream only when there was danger.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,244 times
Because the alternative is to have them be quiet and retain all that energy.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
This is an honest question. I have been camping lately, and am appalled by the behavior I have witnessed. Parents with absolutely ZERO respect for others, allowing their kids to tear around, and quite frankly terrorize other campers. I am actually nice to the children, but my camping neighbors (an older couple) left because of the shrieking. I have to say that it is starting to get on my nerves as well. I don't remember screaming at the top of my lungs as a child when playing outside. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten in trouble. We were instructed to scream only when there was danger.

"Parents" aren't allowing it.....THOSE specific parents are allowing it. Want to know why? Then ask THEM. It's like asking why adults get drunk and act obnoxious. All adults don't. Some do. For a variety of reasons I'd imagine.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
"Parents" aren't allowing it.....THOSE specific parents are allowing it. Want to know why? Then ask THEM. It's like asking why adults get drunk and act obnoxious. All adults don't. Some do. For a variety of reasons I'd imagine.
I am here because I would imagine many parents think it's ok, and I'd like to hear their feedback. Can I get you some Aleve?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I am here because I would imagine many parents think it's ok
What makes you imagine that?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What makes you imagine that?
Because the kids are screaming bloody murder and the parents are closer than I am and don't say anything? This is not one family, this is behavior I have been witnessing for years. It just got particularly bad this past week, so I thought I would ask the question. The reason I have not approached the parents is because I am actually a gentleman and it is not worth it to me to potentially cause a confrontation. I would rather just blow it off as I know it will be water under the bridge soon enough. I was just genuinely curious.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Just a question...

How do you stop a 20 month old from screaming while running around?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 PM

If this is a frequent occurence I would wonder about your tolerance level. Kids playing outside are not often playing a quiet game of bridge. They are happy, excited and full of energy. That said, if they are truly shrieking, "screaming bloody murder" and running around terrorizing other campers, you'd certainly be within your rights to ask the parents to please be aware there are others nearby. If you are not comfortable doing that, then speak to the camp host.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just a question...

How do you stop a 20 month old from screaming while running around?
I don't know, duct tape?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,930 times
I can understand where NomadicBear is coming from. The last place we lived, I worked for the City cleaning the parks around the town. Almost without exception, almost everyday, a Mother, or a group of them would show up with the kids to play on the playground equipment. It never failed that some,or all of the kids would begin what I called " pack screaming." One, usually a girl would scream so loud, I sometimes thought they were shredding their vocal cords, and then the others would begin their vocalizations. I would simply drive my golf cart that I used to pick up trash at the park, to the other end of the park so all I could hear was a faint cry that the breeze would occasionally bring to my ears. The thing that simply boggled my mind was that a Mother would be sitting, relaxing, and the child might walk up and be within a foot, or two of the Mom, and let loose with their ear-splitting screams, while the mother simply sits there taking it. Many times the screams caught me off guard, and would make me jump, thinking a child was being harmed. Sometimes young boys would scream just as loud as the girls. I would be interested in how their voices will sound after they go through puberty. Vocal chords that are subjected to that sort of abuse are bound to rebel when called upon for the deep bass, resonate tones men are known for. Whether or not children are " happy, excited, and full of energy", I would impose some sort of restraint on my children, if, we were in a public place, and others were around us. I would say it is good social ethics to show courtesy toward others in a situation such as what is being talked about here. Kiddos can scream like a banshee in their own backyard, but try to show restraint in public. It's called respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting