Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:43 AM

741 posts, read 1,287,970 times

Advertisements

I slept on board books as a toddler, steam-rolled the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drews as an elementary school gal, sleep-drooled over second hand paper backs as a middle schooler and slumbered with Kurt Vonnegut books in High School. I face planted in dozens of text books in college, I now stuff Jane Austen novels under my pillow before rolling over to sleep.

I have survived all this, no worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
I slept on board books as a toddler, steam-rolled the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drews as an elementary school gal, sleep-drooled over second hand paper backs as a middle schooler and slumbered with Kurt Vonnegut books in High School. I face planted in dozens of text books in college, I now stuff Jane Austen novels under my pillow before rolling over to sleep.

I have survived all this, no worries.

For some reason I missed out on sleeping with my books.
Toys were another matter.

Seriously, I only read one book at a time and I always put it on a shelf, the night table or the floor before I turn off the light.
I've been like this since I started to really read a lot when I was about 12.

I can honestly say that I never face planted into a text book. (Not that it is a good or bad thing.)
I have this 'thing' where if I read the same paragraph three times then it is time to shut the book and go to sleep.

Sleep is good... and any sleep, with any weird object in bed with you (including, but not necessarily your spouse ) is okay in my book. (pun intended )

Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
My toddler son sleeps with a bunch of books at night. He likes to set them up and then lean his head on them at night. We try to encourage him to keep them on the bookshelf, but he wants them in bed.

Is there any reason we should stop this? It's not usual to sleep with books at night, but I don't see it as a safety hazard. I'm not wanting to fight with him over books, so I'm not inclined to do anything at the moment.

My toddler likes to surround himself with toys, though "books" he is okay with reading them and put them aside.

We sometimes wonder about his comfort. . but he always obeys the totclock. . so we can't complain

Old 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
I have no problem with that. I'd say it's a non-issue.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:29 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
Of my three, only the four-year-old sleeps with books. He'd wait 10 minutes after I tucked him in and turn on his light to "read". I took the bulb out of the lamp and thought the problem was solved. The next week I found him, an hour after I'd tucked him in, lying in the closet (light on, door closed), "reading" to himself (often the same book I'd read to him just before bedtime). Then his grandparents gave him a flashlight for his birthday, so he stayed in bed looking at the book.

I decided any kid who wants to read that much should have their lamp back. It's always turned off by morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting