Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times

Advertisements

The most embarrassing pic I've posted of my kids since they are older is of one trying to stuff herself into a car cart at the grocery store. You better believe I posted that.

I don't think nudes should be shared with the world on the computer. That's just wrong. I've taken little butt pics of my kids and they've stayed in our house.

I certainly don't want to see any kids diaper mess online. That's just weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 03:36 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Folks, this thread is about posting embarrassing photos of your children on SOCIAL MEDIA. I've already deleted posts that strayed too much from this topic. General discussions of photos taken of and by others in public or posts that discuss generally embarrassing photos, exclusively, will likely be deleted...so please, try to stay pretty much on topic.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry555 View Post
...I even saw a new mom on facebook post a picture of the mess her baby had made after removing her dirty diaper......
I want to know who that mom thought wanted to SEE that?

Quote:
Is this just the world today or are some parents not thinking through the downsides??
There are plenty of people who don't think. Everywhere and in every time.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 AM

452 posts, read 898,411 times
I think the key word is "moments" not every moment in life needs to immortalized for everyone to see or showed to everyone in the world. My children wondered why people used to not smile in pictures. I told them it used to be you only had one picture in your lifetime and it was very important so they wanted to look important. Enjoy the pictures I say I like mine to be private. Not at a child's expense later in life something that looks funny today may not be perceived funny at a later time why so immortalize it for everyone not just family or friends to see but anyone.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-12-2013 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Referenced post deleted

Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Is this just the world today or are some parents not thinking through the downsides??

Both.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
I am a soon-to-be dad who is trying to think through raising a child in the world of social media. While I don't think all picture posting is bad, I keep seeing new parents post pictures that seem a bit "out there" to post online where it will never disappear. Pinterest especially is full of the artistic-naked-baby (from behind) shots and I even saw a new mom on facebook post a picture of the mess her baby had made after removing her dirty diaper......

A lot of these pictures seemed like they would have been the ones reserved for a hard copy photo album when I was a kid. Basically, you only saw those in public when your best man got one from your parents to show during your rehearsal dinner slide show. Now it seems like a generation of children will have those pictures online for everyone, including their elementary, middle, high school, college, friends and strangers to see.

I use Google Plus which 1) automatically uploads all photos from your phone to the cloud (private) 2) you can easily share those photos limited. . i.e. to a select group of family and friends

Note: Google plus is a social media site

I rarely if ever share photos of my kids publicly (by family/friend email only).

I also never post a complete naked post of the kid (i.e. in the tub with bubbles fine. . .but him standing naked. .nahh)

. . .

I think it is important to backup and archive your photos to cloud storage. Sharing them. . .well you can use tools to be selective. . .

but any photo can find itself anywhere.

Below is a photo taken of a kid, another friend, and the game grand theft auto. It became an internet meme. . .(note, its not really the dad in this photo).

and this was well before facebook. .my final point

Any photo can end up anywhere, regardless of your facebook or pintrest or google plus

its better to backup the photos and not worry about this. . than have a fire and lose everything

Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
I think posting photos of your child or pretty much any photo of the journey of your life is a great & wonderful thing to do, with no real significant risks and/or downsides, and not being paranoid over miniscule risks is a far more preferable way to live.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:42 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
What do you think about posting embarassing pictures of your kids on social media??......

Uhmmm, don't do it? Yeh...that's it, don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting