Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:04 PM

210 posts, read 238,730 times

Advertisements

My 3 year old eats anything I feed her. She has never rejected a meal. I have tried making food she won't eat to try and see if she won't eat it. Liver, bok choy, oysters... She hasn't had a picky day in her life.

But...... are we in the clear or is picky eating a phase that all kids go through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 06:16 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousjane View Post
My 3 year old eats anything I feed her. She has never rejected a meal. I have tried making food she won't eat to try and see if she won't eat it. Liver, bok choy, oysters... She hasn't had a picky day in her life.

But...... are we in the clear or is picky eating a phase that all kids go through?
It's not a matter of being in the clear....but yes....there is a chance she will go through a variety of food likes and dislikes and develop her own opinions. Taste buds do change over time.

You are off to a good start by exposing her to a variety of foods...keep doing that but don't make food a battle if all of a suden she dislikes the textures of oystera or she says she doesn't like sour stuff for example.

Don't go to extremes and run a short order kitchen...but respect her tastes and keep a healthy alternative around if she boycotts a meal every so often. (Bonus if it's something she can prepare herself.)

Old 11-21-2014, 06:17 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Yes. And some of us never outgrow it.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:21 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,025 times
She sounds like my daughter. She willingly tried anything, has not met a vegetable she doesn't love. However, a few months ago she has suddenly decided meat is disgusting and its a struggle to get her to eat it. So she's going through a bit of a picky phase but nothing like her older brother went through. You may luck out!

Old 11-21-2014, 06:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,884,541 times
Quote:

Who knows? My oldest was like yours and is still very open to trying anything. The only thing she truly doesn't like is Tofu, tried it several ways and didn't like it even if she didn't know what it was. I don't recall her ever having a picky phase. At 17 she impresses many people with her poise in social settings (when eating dinner at a boyfriend's, for example)

My younger has been through many phases with food...for several months as a preschooler she ate nothing but cereal. One day she likes green beans, the next day she doesn't. She is 14 now. I think it is partly because she is a super-sensory person so she feels everything strongly. Her mood is also a huge factor. She can be enthusiastic about the dinner plan at 5pm and refuse to try it at 6pm. I've seen her kind of freak out when she looks at a menu in a restaurant because she gets overwhelmed and feels anxiety that she will choose the wrong thing. Even when she decides, I have to order for her. I think it is because she doesn't want the responsibility, she can 'blame' me if she doesn't like it. It almost always works out.

If I had to bet, I'd bet your girl will continue to be an willing eater. She might have some changes in her tastes and preferences, but my understanding is that this is a trait that lasts.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
My oldest (of 3) had to be in the Top 10 pickiest eaters of all time. He's leveled out now, but for 12 or 13 years it was torturous.

Middle child? Nice and easy to deal with.

My youngest ate anything and everything until about age 5, and then he started opting out of the typical stuff, like veggies etc.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:36 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,462 times
My daughter (my oldest) eats everything. Even as a baby-- always has had a great appetite. Anything we were eating she wanted a bite!

My son was slow to get started. He drank a lot of milk as a toddler but now he eats fruit, veggies, almost anything. Sometimes I offer him something new and he says no thanks and I say try it and he will. And we eat a lot of veggies-- cabbage, kohlrabi, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

My brother is VERY picky and I'm not and we were raised in the same family!

Old 11-22-2014, 07:54 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,783 times
Some kids do, and some kids don't. Some outgrow it, and some don't. I would think it would be unusual to develop a picky eating phase later on in life. For the most part, kids tend to outgrow it.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:08 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,177 times
My son was like your daughter. .he ate EVERYTHING. Sardines. .venison stew..fish. ....he's 32 now. .and still does eat anything. ..I have friends that have to cut off crusts and make sure the food doesn't touch...my step kids were like that. .drove me crazy.. they had to have pizza that wasn't square...wouldn't eat it if it had a weird taste..my son would prefer shrimp to a hot dog..haha. ..and if they eat it I will pay for it..you may be in the clear! !!

Old 11-22-2014, 08:36 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
Quote:

My daughter went from not being picky at all, to limiting her foods as she got older. So stick with it. I wasn't even aware she was doing it, because she does eat many things picky eaters don't eat.

It's gotten worse since she is old enough to fix herself snacks, breakfast, and school lunches. I have had to force her to eat a larger variety of foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting