Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Age Do You Let Your Kids Drink Soda
5-6 9 16.67%
7-8 4 7.41%
9-10 1 1.85%
11-12 1 1.85%
13-14 1 1.85%
15-16 0 0%
Never Everyday At Home 38 70.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 AM

386 posts, read 668,818 times

Advertisements

Ain't no way my kids are drinking soda until they're in their teens. And even then it'll be moderately. I've read so much on how bad soda is for you; there's nothing beneficial about it. My cousin's wife gives their 3 year old daughter Coke in her sippy cup and when I saw that the first time I pretty much smacked it outta her hand and gave the mother an ear full. I think her family was raised that way, but I feel like in this day and age you should have heard SOMETHING about how soda contributes to weakening of the bones and teeth, something 3 year olds definitely don't need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,370,954 times
DH was a diet coke addict but has given it up over the past 8-9 months, so its never in the house. Even when it was, DD only drank milk/water/juice/gatorade. I won't lie, she drinks more juice and gotorade than water and milk but she drinks plenty of milk too. We do allow soda when we are out, but its limite to diet coke or sprite for her. She typically orders milk or juice though. We only drink soda while out as well. Hubby loves sweet tea and I like water, so thats what is in the house.

There is no age that soda would just be allowed to be consumed all the time. Just like candy or chocolate. If its in the house, does not mean it can be breakfast, or even desert if theres already been enough sugar consumed for the day. Everything in moderation.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 PM

155 posts, read 556,703 times
My son is 5 and we didn't allow him to drink soda.
Then when we have soda he asks what is that then we tell its medicine. so he is ok. This happen when is 3 years old
But as he is 5 he know about soda because his friends are drinking soda in the church.

So me and my wife stop drinking soda and told him that we are not going to drink soda any more. he is happy and he told ok.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:57 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,670,896 times
They don't get it everyday but once a week or so they do, unless we visit the grandparents on both sides. As soon as the kids walk in the door they are told to go get a pop from the fridge.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,506,618 times
So for all your anti soda people, what else are you banning from the house? I can think of a long long list of things much worse than soda that I see kids eating just about everyday. lol

Seriously speaking though, it's a good thing you don't allow it. I wish I was that good but im not. I try to eat as healthy as possible and stay away from all processed foods and foods high in fat, fast food etc. I also don't allow candy more than once a week.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:11 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,504,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So for all your anti soda people, what else are you banning from the house? I can think of a long long list of things much worse than soda that I see kids eating just about everyday. lol

Seriously speaking though, it's a good thing you don't allow it. I wish I was that good but im not. I try to eat as healthy as possible and stay away from all processed foods and foods high in fat, fast food etc. I also don't allow candy more than once a week.
I think it just depends on what your thing is

Our kids don't drink soda because DH and I don't so it isn't a big deal. We don't eat a lot of processed foods because our son has adhd and we've found they make it worse. We do however eat a lot of high fat foods, butter, whole milk, bacon and I let them have dessert most nights. And I have a glass of wine nearly every night and almost a full pot of coffee every morning by myself.

Everyone has vices, some are more serious than others but we've all got em.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,387,821 times
We don't really buy soda for home so he doesn't drink it at home but when we go out eat he likes to drink Sprite or orange soda.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:00 PM

655 posts, read 1,130,011 times
Quote:

What else are we banning? Aspartame or any fake sugars and caffeine.

It makes me feel so good to see that there are so many people on here who feel the same about pop as I do. It really is just liquid sugar and has absolutely no redeeming qualities to it at all. I quit drinking it in 1998 and never looked back.

It is not allowed in my house, but we have recently allowed them to have clear, non diet, caffeine free pop (7-up) at birthday parties if that is all that is available. They were beginning to feel left out at parties because they weren't allowed to drink it (they are 9 and 11). My father also introduced them to root beer floats this summer (UGH!) so they had those twice. My younger one threw up after drinking it though because it was too much sugar and crap for her body.

Honestly, they don't really even like it that much and don't ask for it. The biggest thing that I would add to all of those that say restricting it will cause a rebellion is that we explain the reasons why we don't want them to have it. We tell them about better choices and they tend to agree with us most of the time. It is treated like an item that is had on special occassions and they are good with that.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 PM

831 posts, read 1,584,199 times
In the summer we get root beer or orange soda to make floats with. I am a diabetic so it is just not something I buy a lot.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 AM

118 posts, read 218,210 times
Quote:
I'm usually something of an "all things in moderation" kind of person, but just as a point: I can't think of much that's worse than soda. It's caloric chemicals intended to mimic sugar combined with chemical food colorings to make it look palatable. At least some of that other crap has a modicum of nutritional value - though I think I'm not the only one for whom soda is the tip of "I don't keep it in the house" iceberg. Nothing is 'banned' ; no one is getting in trouble for eating things when they are offered at parties, friends' houses, etc. But I see no need to keep as staples the majority of products I can pick up on the side aisles at Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting