Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 AM

546 posts, read 1,818,966 times

Advertisements

I have 3 boys. My oldest are now 7 and 9. I really thought we would be one of those families with no toy guns, no violent tv shows or video games. When my oldest was about 4 years old he would build legos to look like a gun. They would turn bananas into guns and my husband's leaf blower into a bazooka. I gave up. We do have nerf guns and toy guns. Interestingly my youngest, age 3 never shows an interest in the toy guns and doesn't get involved in that kind of play with the older boys yet. He still prefers Thomas the Train.

I am assuming the boys playing were not actually punching or kicking each other for real. I do let my boys "play fight" but I draw the line at physical violence. They like to pretend they are ninjas and they make karate chopping noises, etc. Real punches, kicks or pushing. No way. If I saw them doing that at the playground I would intervene and it would most likely be time to go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Setting...

Some neighborhood kids are building a tree fort up in a 30 foot tree and you learn your kid was involved.

Would you intervene and prevent your kid from participating or allow him/her to continue? There is no safety talk involved as there are no OSHA rules/regulations just as there is no EPA to ruin it. Its just kid doing what kids do.

So...whaddaya do?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:20 AM

342 posts, read 388,229 times
Did the boys who were play fighting all know each other? If so, the mom's may not have been intervening because all of the boys knew each others limits.

I have a very rough 10 year old son. He is all boy plus a few others. There are some boys that he can play rough with because they enjoy that kind of play, but others he has to play less rough. When we plays with the other rough boys, bystanders have been shocked at them appearing to beat each other up, but both the other mom and I know that the boys will police themselves so we let them continue until someone is upset. But no way in heck would I let him play that way with a boy who I didn't know. Also, I have found that boys, especially preschoolers, will cry and tell them to stop. Boys really enjoy what looks painful to adults, at least mine do. I am fine with rough play as long as no one is getting hurt and everyone who is playing WANTS to be playing rough.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Setting...

Some neighborhood kids are building a tree fort up in a 30 foot tree and you learn your kid was involved.

Would you intervene and prevent your kid from participating or allow him/her to continue? There is no safety talk involved as there are no OSHA rules/regulations just as there is no EPA to ruin it. Its just kid doing what kids do.

So...whaddaya do?
Send Dad out to help them so that it can be a really awesome (in addition to strong and safe) fort. Great way to learn how to use a variety of tools.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I think the primary concern of the OP was the issue of aggressiveness/violent impulses directed towards non-siblings.
Would it be better if they directed that action toward their siblings?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I have 3 boys, I was tied up and burned at the stake many times.

the boys are normal......boys like this type of stuff.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Send Dad out to help them so that it can be a really awesome (in addition to strong and safe) fort. Great way to learn how to use a variety of tools.

What if dad is at work or doing something else? Kids are impetuous when they get a notion to do such things and there is little to dissuade them from doing such.

My point? A parent can't be with them 100% of their lives. If you try, you become the albatross/millstone/ball and chain they must endure and soon resent. My brother built one for his young grandkids. He owns a construction company and put what amounts to an addition to the house up in a tree...staircase and all. They are young and could never attempt such but love it. Its air conditioned and heated with real windows and a locking door. It even has a wrap around deck.

If they wanted to build their own he would let them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting