Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Eh, I guess most people don't seem to understand what a gift means.
And some people don't understand the issue of parents having the final say in how their kids are raised and the values they want to instill.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Kids Uggs are generally under $200--mostly around $120, even less for toddler boots. Lots of people buy them for their kids or they would not be sold. This is not too much money for the quality, and those who can afford them are not wasting their money.

The problem here is that the parents said no, and so the OP should accept their decision, and apparently is acquiescing to their decision.

All of this speculation and self righteousness is just silly. My granddaughter is almost 3, I haven't bought her a purse, but I have bought her expensive shoes and coats, and other clothes that I knew she would grow of in a year or less. I enjoy it and I can afford it. Maybe when she is a little older I will buy her an IPad. My son and dil have welcomed everything my husband and I have given to her.

My husband and I bought my niece her first Coach purse when she was 12, but that was many years ago when they were still well made classic leather. We have given her many nice gifts through the years. Her parents have had no problem with our gifts.

I'm not sure if I know any seven year old girls who would want to lug a purse around.

I don't remember ever having to ask permission to give anyone a present, or being restricted to certain things. --but then again I wouldn't give a 5 year old a bb gun either.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Seriously, this idea that you MUST run your gift ideas through their pre-approval is sort of ridiculous.
I think that is a selfish mindset; you're just going to give a child an extravagant gift without checking with the parents? How do you know the parents aren't already buying that same gift? If you are buying my child a present that is going to require my participation in any way then you need to check with with me or I will be giving your present back to you or the Goodwill.

A friend brought my son a Lego set when he was 5; the really tiny ones. I thanked her but gave it back, explaining that my son was still putting things in his mouth (late developer) and I would have to keep these under lock & key, only allowing him to play with them when I could sit there with him. Who has time for all that extra work for a toy? She wasn't offended. She gave me the gift receipt and I exchanged them for the bigger Legos.

My sister-in-law brought him one of those little motorized jeeps when he was 3. I didn't accept that either. #1 I didn't have storage for it. #2 I didn't live in an area where he could ride it safely outside (we lived near a college and they sped through at 80 miles an hour for no reason and there weren't any sidewalks). #3 I couldn't fit the stupid thing in my compact car. She got mad and decided to keep it at her house. He rode it maybe 7 or 8 times before he outgrew it. Had she asked me beforehand I could have saved her time and money and perhaps he could have gotten a gift he could enjoy.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Keeping the receipt takes care of any possible double up problems.

Buy the boots.

I think its hysterical they are bloody sheepskin boots FFS, not a bong!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Keeping the receipt takes care of any possible double up problems.

Buy the boots.

I think its hysterical they are bloody sheepskin boots FFS, not a bong!
The OP already said they weren't buying the boots because the parents said "no".

It's amazing how many people are saying the parents opinions on a gift for their child shouldn't matter...yeah who cares what the people who clothe, feed and shelter the child think?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:50 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
Well, since the OP has already decided on the gift for his niece...which never really was a Parenting topic; I think this thread has run its course. Bye-bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting