Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM

23 posts, read 45,780 times

Advertisements

Get her one of those Rainbow Loom kits. They're insanely popular, and I loved crafts like that when I was a kid.
Rainbow Loom

Old 10-22-2013, 02:48 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What is rude (to me) is the family member giving my 7yo daughter a ridiculously expensive bag as a gift without checking it with me first.

there is a reason Mom does not want to start this Label/Name Brand thing, and parents should be respected as to what they do and don't want their child to have. It's a part of their parenting.
Part of parenting?

Teaching your child not to be a label ***** does not mean dictating what people can or cannot buy your child. The notion that parents should never have to explain to a child that some people do things differently than we do in our family is ridiculous. The world isn't there to make parenting easier, in fact good parents are those who tackle the difficult issues while instilling character.

The thing that is actually parenting, is the hard part, explaining to your child how to graciously accept a gift, while also teaching them your own family values. Just because you are the parent does not mean you get to dictate how every single person interacts with your child. Even if you could, what does that teach them? Seven is not remotely too young to learn that other people, even people we care about, frequently have different values than we do.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Eh, gifts aren't really about the parents. I am not a fan of the notion that parents get to tell people what they will or will not buy for gifts.

If the parent really feels that strongly about boots (and why would they when someone else has already bought a 7yo a $100 bag) than it is their responsibility to make their feelings known. Seriously, this idea that you MUST run your gift ideas through their pre-approval is sort of ridiculous.
I don't disagree with you on principle, but suspect the OP knew the parent's feelings on this gift (for whatever reason), but he didn't like the response. JMHO.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I don't disagree with you on principle, but suspect the OP knew the parent's feelings on this gift (for whatever reason), but he didn't like the response. JMHO.
I did ask how he knows, did he say somewhere and I missed it?

If the parents asked him not to buy them, than absolutely, he should not buy them. But I don't think anyone is obligated to run all gift ideas by parents just to make their lives easier.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Uggs are not hoochie. They're just boots.
In Arizona young girls wear Uggs with shorts that are no bigger than underpants. That looks rather hoochie to me. Especially given that the combination of winter boots and short-shorts makes no sense in terms of climate-appropriate clothing. So there can be no purpose for the combination other than getting attention and/or showing off that even if your bottoms look like they came from the rag bag, you can still afford designer-label footwear.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Part of parenting?

Teaching your child not to be a label ***** does not mean dictating what people can or cannot buy your child. The notion that parents should never have to explain to a child that some people do things differently than we do in our family is ridiculous. The world isn't there to make parenting easier, in fact good parents are those who tackle the difficult issues while instilling character.

The thing that is actually parenting, is the hard part, explaining to your child how to graciously accept a gift, while also teaching them your own family values. Just because you are the parent does not mean you get to dictate how every single person interacts with your child. Even if you could, what does that teach them? Seven is not remotely too young to learn that other people, even people we care about, frequently have different values than we do.
Moderator Cut
A parent can raise his/her child in any way seen fit. I don't think any parent need ask your permission to raise a child in the manner most befitting them, wouldn't you agree? Instilling character into a child means making wise decisions for them, something a lot of adults can't do for themselves. That includes gifts they receive, who takes them any place, who is with them and where they go. I am even worse when it comes to my dog.

A parent can refuse anything offered to a child and that is no one's business but their own. Hurting others feelings is good in this case to prove a point. The child doesn't need excess and the parents are probably trying to instill that value. The child will learn even if the offending adult doesn't.
As for dictating how anything affects the child...the parent has the last word and people need accept that or move along. If I didn't like who or how one interacted with my kid the fact was known. It is the right and duty of a parent to run interference where they see fit. You may not like it - go have some kids of your own and learn the truth. When the kid is old enough to go out of the house alone the values learned will help that kid in the future.

Last edited by Jaded; 10-23-2013 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: Argumentative

Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
A parent can raise his/her child in any way seen fit.
Parents do not OWN their children.

Quote:
I don't think any parent need ask your permission to raise a child in the manner most befitting them, wouldn't you agree?
And family members do not need permission before giving gifts. If the parents do not like it, than act like a parent, make the hard choice and take the gift away. Simple, not easy, but simple.

Quote:
A parent can refuse anything offered to a child and that is no one's business but their own. Hurting others feelings is good in this case to prove a point. The child doesn't need excess and the parents are probably trying to instill that value. The child will learn even if the offending adult doesn't.
LOL. The "offending gift" aka boots? Anyway, of course the parents can take the gift away, I never said otherwise. Strawman much?

Quote:
As for dictating how anything affects the child...the parent has the last word and people need accept that or move along. If I didn't like who or how one interacted with my kid the fact was known. It is the right and duty of a parent to run interference where they see fit. You may not like it - go have some kids of your own and learn the truth. When the kid is old enough to go out of the house alone the values learned will help that kid in the future.
I have raised children. Four. All happy, healthy, productive adults, in college and graduate school. I also taught them basic manners and instilled the notion that not everyone's values are theirs, and that is ok.

Last edited by Jaded; 10-23-2013 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted post

Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
In Arizona young girls wear Uggs with shorts that are no bigger than underpants. That looks rather hoochie to me. Especially given that the combination of winter boots and short-shorts makes no sense in terms of climate-appropriate clothing. So there can be no purpose for the combination other than getting attention and/or showing off that even if your bottoms look like they came from the rag bag, you can still afford designer-label footwear.
Then technically it is the shorts the size of underpants that are the problem.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
No way get them because her parents said no. She is far to young and will outgrown them. Maybe get her a mall
certificate then her mother may bring her shopping for what she really needs. She needs to learn this stuff is very pricey
and most kids will not have this until they are older.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:24 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But a purse is able to last a lot longer then a pair of boots. The boots are going to maybe last a season, and then will be useless. I quality purse can last years. Although I do question why a 7 year old would need a purse, what do they have to carry around? I can't see her getting much use out of it, but I guess then the bag will just last longer. As long as its in a classic style (and not too trendy), she'll be able to use it in a few years when she is a teenager. The Ugg boots however will be long forgotten by then.
I have seen little kids with the LV Speedy bags oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.