Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Then yes, you need to do a smother or RID treatment to kill the live ones. Mint doesn't kill. It's an homeopathic method to repel...hopefully.
I know many people who can "catch" the live ones with a comb. Especially, the professionals.

You do not need to use a pesticide, physical removal can and does work. Again, especially when you go to a professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Any of us could open a "professional" nitpicking business tomorrow.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I know many people who can "catch" the live ones with a comb. Especially, the professionals.

You do not need to use a pesticide, physical removal can and does work. Again, especially when you go to a professional.
Could you point me to a link that says a mere comb and a professional does work as a total solution? Because everything I read said in conjunction with the combing (which is very important) works. I have yet to see one link that says all you need is a comb.

And you are correct, pesticide isn't needed since you can use a smothering type treatment.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
The Lice Place guarantees that you will be lice-free after one treatment of their professional combing with their mousse (a white, peppermint-smelling). It is not a pesticide. This is likely what the OP's professional used (or something very similar).

It worked like magic for me and my daughters in two different outbreaks. The comb they use is excellent - I highly recommend it. Also recommend the techniques used by this place. They comb several times, including looking at each strand with a magnifying glass thing that looks like something Geordi LaForge wore (for those who liked Star Trek: TNG).

Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Out of curiosity, why does lice seem to be more prevalent in elementary school? I don't recall anybody at that age carrying combs, or even wearing hats, although in high school we did both. I lent, and borrowed freely in high school, and also slept over the houses of others with more regularity as a teen. I never had lice.

I am eternally grateful after reading this thread, that I never experienced it as a parent either. It just seems like the chance of transmission would be higher in high school than elementary school, should sharing belongings be the cause.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Out of curiosity, why does lice seem to be more prevalent in elementary school? I don't recall anybody at that age carrying combs, or even wearing hats, although in high school we did both. I lent, and borrowed freely in high school, and also slept over the houses of others with more regularity as a teen. I never had lice.

I am eternally grateful after reading this thread, that I never experienced it as a parent either. It just seems like the chance of transmission would be higher in high school than elementary school, should sharing belongings be the cause.
Good question. That makes perfect sense for the sharing belongings part.

I think it's because elementary school students are hugged more and cuddling with other family members more than teenagers do. So it spreads within the families, and if the families aren't doing proper treatment for everyone, lice are more likely to be reoccurring in the population.

They hug each other at school more than high school students do. (Silly sexual harassment being applied to elementary school students will put an end to that eventually.) I know hugging was one of the main reasons my girlfriend was battling lice for 10 months---her girls are in 8th and 9th grade and they attend a school where hugging everyone is a weird cultural thing. They all hug every time they see each other each. Not all high school students have that hugging everyone culture.

Another factor could be most parents of teenagers probably have learned to have a larger fear of lice so they handle treatment more seriously than elementary school parents who haven't really been through it or seen how bad it can be via watching other parent's experiences.

Those are my ideas off of the top of my head.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Default Super Lice Resists conventional treatment

good luck getting rid of this new lice. and don't think there is something horribly wrong with your kid or your school if it is there. it happens to the best and cleanest of kids. Just remind kids not to share combs, pillows, hats, scarves and even clothes.

'Super Lice' Resisting Common Treatments | Video - ABC News

Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

It's because elementary aged kids don't use hair products or blow dry their hair as often, which kill lice.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:21 PM

This article below the video provides more detailed information:

"Super lice" pops up in Pittsburgh kids: How to get rid of bugs - CBS News

Stronger prescription medication are recommended if traditional treatments don't work.

That new prescription medication (benzyl alcohol lotion) that is non-toxic and suffocates the bugs will work on them.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:24 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
OMG - I remember getting them in our family and my damn eyesight is so poor I couldn't see the buggers very well. It took weeks before we finally got rid of them - turns out daughter had worn a knit cap the belonged to a friend - that is where our infestation started. Didn't help that we were in the middle of moving across country either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting