Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,225,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would have called the police as well and had them all charged with trespassing and whatever else they could be charged with and let the police call their respective parents and deal with them.

After that both girls would have 24 hour supervision until they turned 18 and they would be working around the house paying for any damage that was done as well as all privileges taken away. No cell phones, ipads, computers, telephone at home, vehicle use, etc.
Nothing would become their normal and they would be in the same room with their father or I the entire time they are home. I'm sure they will absolutely hate their lives for the next few years and probably hate me as their parent even more however, as their parent I accept that and we move on.
The biggest issue I see with a mindset to punish to this extreme is you have no more leverage for several years. It makes no sense to me to dole out a punishment that is so all encompassing for the rest of their years under your roof. Plus, comeonnow, this is not realistic unless you and your DH intend to give up having a life.

I am not sure what I would do, I don't think I would call the cops but then again I don't think I would leave two teenage girls at home for a weekend without a trusted friend/neighbor keeping a really close eye on things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,187,216 times
I would have breathed a sigh of relief that the kids were just being normal 15 and 16 year old kids.

I'd be more worried if my kids were sitting on the butts all day watching TV.

I'd be more concerned if my kid watched 20 hours of TV a week than if he smoked pot once a month.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,296,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
...The parents decided to call the police and their two daughters were both charged with permitting alcohol to minors...

Good!

Kids need to learn there are CONSEQUENCES for their actions. Better they learn now rather than later when they are adults and the criminal charges will permanently mar their lives.

And with something like drinking and driving, there is no "probation" or period of punishment if they die in a car wreck...

Anyway good to come down hard on them and hopefully they will think twice next time.

FYI - The cops in my area are quite good at "talking" to kids. They don't charge them with anything - just give them a good talking to. Makes some kids shape up.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,647,185 times
Quote:
A Connecticut couple came home from a weekend away to find their 15 and 16 y/o daughters hosting their third party of the weekend that included alcohol. The parents decided to call the police and their two daughters were both charged with permitting alcohol to minors.

Parents have own children arrested for throwing a party without permission | Mail Online

I can understand that the parents may have trying to prevent liability against them, since a few weeks earlier two parents were arrested for having something similar happen at their home. But I feel a lot of this is the parents fault for not having someone check up on girls of this age while being gone an entire weekend.

If it was my girls, I would have first contacted the parents of all the kids to come pick them up, then I would have expelled the worst punishment I could on the two offenders. Not sure if I would have wanted the police involved, but then again, the liability issue comes up, especially if a DUI with a fatality was involved later.

No word on who bought the alcohol. So what you would do as parents?
I have seen several parents around here arrested for allowing minors to drink in their homes. They may have just been protecting themselves. Bet those girls don't do that again. We need more parents teaching children the consequences of breaking the law. There were more than two offenders in this case. Any teen drinking should have been arrested. They had a choice whether or not to take that first drink.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,830,716 times
I agree, 15/16 aged kids are too young to be left for an entire weekend without someone checking in on them. And if these kids have given trouble before to their parents, then doubly so.

If this was the very first time this happened to generally well behaved kids, I don't think the parents would have called the police. They would probably sent the kids home and had a come to Jesus talk with their kids. It's very telling that the parents called the cops. They want their cake and eat it too.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,834,126 times
I am also in the "not calling the cops" camp, but I can see where liability could come into question. If one of party goers had a DUI or fatality on the way home, the parents of the girls could be in some serious trouble, both criminally and financially.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,973,670 times
Quote:
I am also in the "not calling the cops" camp, but I can see where liability could come into question. If one of party goers had a DUI or fatality on the way home, the parents of the girls could be in some serious trouble, both criminally and financially.
I wonder if the decision to call the cops actually negates that responsibility though. I would think the lawsuit would still have merit based on the daughters being unsupervised.

These girls are very fortunate there were no ramifications from the alcohol. I'm not sure what I would have done in this situation. What I would try to do is keep the kids corralled until I called each of their parents to pick them up. Then, I would deal with my own kids, via grounding and postponing their driving privileges. Those two things seem to make the most impression on teens, in my experience.

We left our own teens on numerous occasions, including overseas, without any incidents, I am relieved to be able to say. I did ask the neighbors to keep an eye out for strange cars, or signs of any gatherings.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
They are still financially responsible since they left their property unsupervised by responsible adults.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:13 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,538,367 times
Quote:
No word on who bought the alcohol. So what you would do as parents?
#1: Stop leaving the little truants home alone.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,337,047 times
I agree - not a great idea leaving those two alone, obviously. I had a tracking bracelet on my son's ankle for 2 yrs because I couldn't control him. I wanted to turn him over to the state but they wouldn't take him. I had to get him into the justice system for help. He was testing positive for THC and Xanax at 14. I was skeert.

Consider this: parents of other kids might press charges against parents. Beat them to the punch right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting