Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM

13 posts, read 51,674 times

Advertisements

My 11 year old daughter just told me that she has feelings of being watched but is not being watched by anyone and cannot describe an actual person, just that she "feels" like she is being watched.

I am confused and am looking for any ideas, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:41 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
Tell her not to watch "Person Of Interest" or anything relating to the NSA.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 AM

lol seriously guys!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Does she ever watch shows like A Hauntings or lifetime movies etc? Or what is she reading now?

At this age, they are starting (if they haven't already) want a bit of drama and excitement. Especially if you don't see anything to be concerned with. I wouldn't dismiss it but I would try to redirect her. When does these feelings of being watched most happens?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
There is a sense we all have that tells us somehow when we are the object of scrutiny. Don't believe me? Just get in a crowd and pick someone to watch. Very soon that person will very likely make eye contact with you. Especially if they are not totally absorbed with an activity that requires constant attention.

Some people have that sense tweeked pretty high. It could be that your daughter is being overwhelmed by that sensitivity to the point that she feels it even when there is nothing to feel.

It could also be a facet of sensitivity to other types of perception. Some people sense "spirits" or other types of paranormal activity. Perhaps she is keying into that. I am personally not sensitive in that way, but I know people who claim to be and they are fairly consistent in reporting the same types of things others have reported in the same conditions, so there is something to it that I dont understand or percieve.

I would talk to her in an "adult to adult" manner and try to reason out what she is feeling and when. Maybe there is a logical explaination, maybe not. Either way, she will need comfort and support to get past whatever it is and maintain a good mental perspective on things.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
How serious is it? Puberty can sometimes trigger anxiety issues or even something more serious. If this is just fear from watching tv its pretty normal, but if you feel like she's truly upset and/or paranoid and it's affecting her life, I would have her speak to her doctor.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 AM

she has been staying home alone alot due to my work hours, she has access to netflix and hulu, she does have a history of attention seeking behavior, such as if i am not home exactly on time she will goto a neighbors house and tell them she is scared and doesnt know where her mother is, when she knows ill be home very soon, she may be doing this for an excuse to leave the house while grounded I just dont know.....her grades have also fqallen to mostly D's and F's lately.......

Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith84 View Post
she has been staying home alone alot due to my work hours, she has access to netflix and hulu, she does have a history of attention seeking behavior, such as if i am not home exactly on time she will goto a neighbors house and tell them she is scared and doesnt know where her mother is, when she knows ill be home very soon, she may be doing this for an excuse to leave the house while grounded I just dont know.....her grades have also fqallen to mostly D's and F's lately.......
You answered your own question. Is there anyway she can go to an afterschool care program? Such as the YMCA or even karate? (they often have after school care programs there)

Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 AM

she is reading the Percy Jackson series right now as well.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
You answered your own question. Is there anyway she can go to an afterschool care program? Such as the YMCA or even karate? (they often have after school care programs there)

she was going to the Y but started running away to her aunts house who is a bit crazy who then made her call cops to try to get me in trouble somehow, nothing came of it but she no longer goes to the Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting